OK Oldies...I need help!

(Terri Opgenorth) #1

I walk daily with a friend who is about 15 years older than I am (55) I am so excited being on this WOE and have shared it with her. Every day she asks me if “I have researched enough and did I know that my Kidneys (or Liver) may suffer on this diet?” Are there resources I can read and quote to her? It seems as though I have been reading for DAYS to find any answers!

I would appreciate any wisdom or links that I can go to.
thanks! TerriO

(Bunny) #2

VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT: I do think, if your not drinking apple cider vinegar AVC and lemon juice LM 1 Tbls. to a glass of water once a day; that you are or would be setting yourself up for calcium oxalate formations in your internal organs like gall stones (causing pancreatitis), kidney stones and bladder stones! As well as extreme fecal/stool impacted constapation from gut flora not being adapted to plant fiber!

(Elle Renegar) #3

I’ts my understanding that excessive amounts of protein can be an issue. I’m following Dr. Berg’s recommendation of 3-6 ozs protein per meal. I’m using 3ozs. to start. Search high protein diets and see if this is what she is remembering.

(Elle Renegar) #4

I remember on one of Dr Berg’s videos he said it is very important to eat 7-10 cups of veggies cuz your body needs to help your liver deal with the fat. Don’t want to develop fatty liver.

Healthy kidneys can handle any amount of protein one could consume from real food (there’s only so much meat we can eat before we’re gorged out). So while it won’t make us sick, eating a lot of protein doesn’t lead to optimal health.

A low carb high fat diet doesn’t have to be high in protein. In fact, protein is insulinogenic, so too much can prevent ketosis. The appropriate amount of protein varies by person, but it’s not necessarily more than on the SAD.

Here’s a blog post by Dr Fung, who is obviously an expert on the subject, since he’s a nephrologist.
https://idmprogram.com/how-much-protein-is-excessive/

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

Ask her to show you the science for her accusations. She won’t be able to and she will start to open her mind.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Wow! I should be eating 12 to 24 ounces of steak per meal? The more usual recommendation, given by Phinney, Volek, and the like is 0.8 to 1.0 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass per day.

How much do you weigh? I weigh 88 kilos total, and my lean body mass can’t possibly be more than about 70 kilos. That works out to about 10 oz. of steak a day, which feels more reasonable; Dr. Berg’s recommendation seems awfully high.

(Dan Dan) #8

LoL @PaulL :joy:

your a lite weight :wink:

A Pound of fatty steak for me :muscle: