Oils Again

(softail925) #1

So getting conflicting advice. Hoping to clear up confusion. Is corn oil acceptable on a ketogenic woe of eating?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Acceptable is a loaded word, and probably better to put it in the context of why you would or wouldn’t want to use or avoid a particular oil.

There are a number of issues with vegetable oils, which include how they’re processed and the kinds of fats they contain. Not sure exactly where corn oil fits in the spectrum, but if you think about corn, it’s not exactly what one would call a really oily vegetable, so in order to get quantities of oil from corn, you have to heavily process it.

I’ll let others chime in on the question of what kinds of fat corn oil contains, but I personally would avoid corn oil.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

[ Moving to Food > Fat ]

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

Acceptable? Your body your rules

Healthy? An emphatic NO!

(AnnaLeeThal) #5

I personally avoid corn/canola oil, soybean oil, and most seed oils because of the inflammatory properties.

(Jennie) #6

If I recall correctly, the Dudes :carl::richard: touched on this subject in a podcast…I’m losing track of when I listened to which one, so I can’t quote the episode number. But, the idea was that in the building of cells, your body uses some nutrients from certain kinds of oils to build new cells. Due to the fact we eat so many processed oils, it’s not good for the ratio our body tries to keep of omega 3’s to 6’s.
…Ultimately, it seems like one of those things that you CAN eat. But just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD.
I think it would matter what/why you’re asking. I mean, I’d eat as whole food as possible, but if you’re using up a jug of the stuff or someone used a little in a recipe, it may not be the end of the world. Bottom line on keto is low carb. But I notice a trend to try to eat whole foods too, for the long term benefits.

(Larry Lustig) #7

Corn oil, having no carbohydrates, is completely acceptable from a ketogenic point of view.

Many people – I suspect you will find close to 100% of the people here – prefer not to use it, or other vegetable and seed oils, for other reasons not related to ketogenesis. I myself have never used corn oil but I do continue to use other oils that many people here consider to be contact poisons without Ill effect. As far as I can tell, I am accruing all the benefits of this way of eating.

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

As a general rule the more complicated the process to get the fat into a useable form the less good it is for us. Imagine the effort required to squeeze oil from a corn or soybean seed.

(softail925) #9

Thank you everyone for ur valued input! I plan to stick w/ coconut oil or avacado oil for high heated frying!

(Cheryl Meyers) #10

Bacon fat is also great! And butter/ghee.

Watch and learn how canola oil is made, with all that bleaching:

The podcast where they discuss this is episode 4, The Big Fat Show, at about the 14 minute mark.

The ratio of O-3 to O-6 is important. Also, polyunsaturated oils are very susceptible too oxidation during heating, thus the issue with processing - even the healthy omega-3 ones

Anything that comes from a Frankenstein manufacturing process is not acceptable…to me at least. If it takes more than just physical pressing to expel natural oils (such as diluents and solvent extraction techniques), then I’m not convinced it will be good for you.

I’m an engineer, and worked in many manufacturing/plant/refinery processes. You will have a very hard time convincing me that products from those processes are ok to eat.

(Jennie) #13

Excellent recall @carolT! You’re a rockstar! :smile: And thank you.

It helps that I’m working on transcripts and indexes. :wink: