Oh my goodness, tacos! (1g carb)

Found out the Cheese Puffs make a great shell for a taco! They are a bit crunchy like a cooked corn tortilla shell; although lacking the corn flavor, the cheese flavor of the shell complements the cheese inside the taco!

I made my taco cheese puffs on a silicone mat square in my microwave – zapped it for 38 seconds in my particular case. I folded the Deluxe American cheese in half and spaced the two halves about 1/8" of an inch apart before microwaving. Make sure to fold in half while it’s hot out of the microwave – being careful to not burn self in process!

Tasted yummy! I didn’t really miss the corn. I put ground beef I seasoned with homemade taco seasoning in it along with some grated cheddar, some louisanna hot suace, cilantro and a few drops of lime juice. (I normally would of added some fresh mince onion but was lazy this time, so I added flake onion in the taco meat when I was cooking it.)

DSC_2430

(Jenn Dennis) #2

Hi they look yummy… can i have your recipe for the cheese puff?

Sure, you take a slice of Deluxe American cheese, and place on a microwavable silicone mat. Microwave for about 70 seconds or so, until they are puffy but not too crispy. Take out carefully not burning hand and sit down on counter for like 30 sec or so, then peel off the silicone.

The Deluxe American Cheese should not have any vegetable or soybean oil in it. It should only list cream, whey etc. Also it should be the 1g per serving version not the 2g version (the Deluxe is 1g, non-deluxe has more starch and is 2g). Looking at the ingredients listed on the Deluxe version of American Cheese which I purchase at Aldi, has nothing listed that looks unhealthy to me, unlike other American processed cheeses.
https://www.aldi.us/en/be-inspired/s...eese-slices-3/

I bought a 13" round red circular silicone mat from Amazon.com for like $6 if I recall. I cut out two squares from it leaving about 1/2 inch margin around each of the cheese slices. I find this easier than pulling out the entire large mat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1ZUVK

Temporarily you could use parchment paper instead of the silicone, to try this out to see if you like, if you have the parchment paper on hand that is. But it’s a bit harder to peel off the parchment… actually significantly harder.

(Jenn Dennis) #4

Thanks! I will see if those slices are something i can find in Canada. Appreciate your reply :slight_smile:

It might be called “processed cheese” in Canada, not sure. It should have cream and whey in it and be about 1g net carb per slice.

(Regina M.) #6

You don’t have to use processed cheese unless you prefer it. I have made shells from cheddar and monterey jack.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

I just went on Amazon to order a silicone mat just so I could make this now!

I just ordered, too. I’m a follower.