Often forgotten nsv!

(Becky) #1

As I was getting my day going today I had an aha! moment. I realize recently that my clothes fit better, that I have more energy and just generally feel better physically. What I hadn’t realized until that exact moment this morning was the emotional/psychological NSV’s I’ve had. It just clicked as I was standing at the sink washing make up off my face, that’s right, make up! I cannot tell you the last time I felt, for lack of a better word…worthy…of wearing makeup. That may sound silly to some of you, but I always figured why waste the time it wasn’t like it was gonna hide anything anyway. But this weekend we had quite a busy schedule with fall festivals and birthday parties, so I decided to do not just my makeup but my hair! That’s right, I dusted off the ol’ flat iron and blow dryer and I dolled up, and it felt amazing, I even added on some jewelry! For the first time in I cannot tell you how long, I felt, like a woman! Not the fat mom or fat wife or the woman who should feel ashamed because I eat too much!
Which brings the next point. I realized I was not embarrassed for partaking in the spread at the parties, all keto choices of course. I didn’t feel as though I was being judged by all of the perfect moms. My husband pointed out something else I hadn’t realized, I held my head up!! Not once this weekend did I hang my head as though I was somehow ashamed of occupying the same space as everyone else! (I have noticed my neck isn’t as sore as usual)
I guess my point is that I never noticed I had basically let myself go, not intentionally, but I had been neglecting myself. I am not at my goal, I still have a lot of work to do both inside and out! But I’m armed and ready for this battle, more so than ever before in my life. My only regret is that it has taken me this long to realize that I am WORTH every bit of the effort I am putting into this!

(Susan) #2

You certainly are, Becky!! I am glad that you have realized this, and that Keto has helped to give you back your self-esteem/self-worth as well as the other health benefits and the weight loss. That is wonderful, you are doing great, keep up the good work!!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

I’ve also notice that I’m taking better care of myself. I’ve taken the time to learn how to do makeup that suits my face shape and how to choose clothes that better suit my frame.

I used to think of those things as superficial and futile. But why should I put less artistry into my person than I put into anything else? And ironically I’ve discovered that when I wear carefully chosen clothes, I actually end up thinking about them and my appearance less throughout the day. I walk out the door with more confidence and then just get on with it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I feel less self conscious too. I feel a bit of pride in my new appearance, I am surprised still when I walk past reflective windows how much I have changed.

Congratulations on your newfound pride in your appearance, you deserve that. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Becky) #5

@Momof5
Thank you ma’am, you are so kind :heart::heart:

@Ruina
I have noticed I’m not as self conscious throughout the day as well. I used to be the shirt tigger, all day making sure my shirt wasn’t rising up above my belly, but not so much anymore! I would like to learn more makeup techniques, do you have any specific videos or sites that helped you learn about face shapes that might help?

@David_Stilley
Yes, I too am amazed when I walk by a mirror or a window. I even noticed I step back for a second glance a lot more…just to make sure it really was my reflection that I saw :laughing:

(Murphy Kismet) #6

I’m not sure if it’s psychological due to weight loss and body shaping, or an actual physiological change due to fat loss and ketones/fatty acids coursing through our bodies and doing their magic. Either way I too have noticed a change in my self-view. I am consciously standing straighter a la Gokhale Method, and its predecessor Alexander Technique. I am choosing clothes that flatter my new figure. I am wearing makeup again, eyeliner and mascara. I’m not hiding anymore. I’m not ashamed of myself anymore. Also, as I age I just care less of others’ options lol

(Becky) #7

@Kismet
I’ve noticed standing taller as well! And I’m with ya, I don’t care why so much as the fact that I’m doing it and feeling better about myself!!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

I like Lisa Eldridge and Mary Greenwell for make up. I have hooded eyes, which are difficult if you don’t have experience, so advice from friends and family never worked for me. But these two ladies made it so easy.

For clothes I like Aly Art’s series explaining the Kibbe body type system. Sure, it is a system to categorize unique human bodies. But I feel like it is a very positive system, not about fixing “flaws” and more about understanding your shapes and lines and learning what silhouettes work with you and not against you.
All YouTube.

(Becky) #9

Thank you @Ruina, I’m going too check those things out ASAP…as soon as I’m done with sweeping mopping and dinner, oh and laundry…man I hate all this extra energy lol! :rofl:

('Jackie P') #10

The first thing that became noticeable to me was my face! It lost any bloatedness, my skin was lovely, no blotches. As I lost weight too, I had my hair styled short because my face looked … almost pretty!
I wear colours now, not just blacks and greys, but tomato red, greens and cream. Be proud, pride is not the same as vanity.

(Becky) #11

@CrackerJax
You look absolutely radiant, you have a glow to you! Yes, I think sometimes we do tend to confuse pride with vanity! Pride is just such a new concept for me but I’m loving it!

('Jackie P') #12

Thank you Becky, very kind of you. Haha I just put a photo today so a little self conscious still :joy:

(Becky) #13

No need to be self conscious…self confident for sure!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

What a great post. And you deserve to doll yourself up, don’t ever forget that.

Doing a happy dance for you over here. dancer%20(2017_08_30%2018_22_20%20UTC)

(Marianne) #15

I get it!!! I had stopped wearing make up for years, and now for the last probably three months, am wearing makeup again! If we have a special occasion, I even get out my falsies - eyelashes, that is! I feel great!

Yes! I am not “thin” yet or at goal weight, but I feel a normal size. I don’t feel ashamed for my husband to be walking with him arm in arm , when he is trim and in great shape. He used to grab my hand when walking in public and I would wonder why he would do that - with me. So sad! God bless him!

Yes, except to me, keto is a miracle - such delicious food and so easy, compared to a lifetime of deprivation diets and exercise purging!

(Marianne) #16

Gotta look this up!

:blush:

(Marianne) #17

Yes - I actually painted the front door today!!! Never in a million years would I have had the motivation - or energy - to have done this in the past!

:laughing:

(Becky) #18

@gingersmommy
Oh my goodness I feel the same way about my husband…I was just embarrassed to put it in there, but yes, I feel like arm candy lol. Like I used to walk near him as to not embarrass him but now I’m holding his hand or we are arm in arm!! I know he loves me no matter what, but I notice he acts somewhat different as well, and I think that is due to my reaction when he attempts to show affection. And you are sure right about how easy this woe is, it’s become second nature I hardly think about what I’m doing anymore!

(Becky) #19

@gingersmommy
Congrats on the front door!!! I’ve been looking at mine quite a bit lately as well lol…who knows maybe next weekend…#ketoenergygoal

(Susan) #20

I cleaned my microwave and fridge and didn’t complain while fasting, and am at 74 hours atm, but I feel weird and afraid to eat… so am probably going to wait until tomorrow at this point.