Officially Being Silenced By Nutritionist

(Mary McNeight) #1

Im one of the top diabetic alert dog trainers in the country. I started training diabetic alert dogs because diabetes had ravaged my family members lives and was severely affecting my life as well. I have been following the 2 Keto Dude since I started my keto journey in October of 2017. Ive lost 40 lbs, my A1C has gone from 6.7 to 5.1, I now only have lows about 2 times a week vs 2-4 a day, my neuropathy is almost non existent when it was a 5-7 level pain every day, I went from having 2-5 migraines a month to 1 in 7, Im off my high blood pressure meds, my endometriosis is better, my eczema is almost gone and my asthma has improved. I shared my experience in my Medical Alert Dog Monday video and am now being asked to retract it since apparently there was a nutritionist on my business email list. I dont want to be the next Gary Fettke or Tim Noakes since I only made less than $10,000 helping diabetics stay alive with the use of a task trained service dog last year and dont have the money to legally defend myself so Im kind of in a pickle. I dont know what to do at this point. This is my first post on this group, although Ive been listening to 2 Keto Dudes for months. Here is the blog post that got the nutritionists pants on fire. http://servicedogacademy.com/wp/diabetic-alert-dog-2/ketogenic-diet-saves-life-of-service-dog-trainer/

Help!

Mary McNeight, CCS, BGS
Director of Training and Behavior

Service Dog Academy - www.servicedogacademy.com

Featured Speaker at Association of Professional Dog Trainers Conference 2013
Winner of Dr. Robert Curran New Trix Award 2012
Winner of PAWS Hero Pet 2012
Winner of APDT Train Your Dog Month 2011

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

I’m not sure that you are in a position to suffer as Dr. Fettke and Professor Noakes.

I’m not sure what position your licensing organization has on human nutrition, and likely isn’t quite as in bed with Big Sugar as the equivalent organizations that oversaw Dr. Fettke and Prof. Noakes. Seems very unlikely that this person could get you censured or your license revoked, assuming you have one.

(Timothy Blanks) #3

Would adding the standard “I’m not a doctor nor do I play one on YouTube… not giving medical advice, etc. This is what has helped me…” disclaimer to both the blog post and video make a difference.

(Chris) #4

Tried to get to your site, but your overlay is stopping that. Nobody likes these.

EDIT: Found the escape button, nothing to see here folks.

(icky) #5

Yeah, surely doing the standard “yada yada” before you say what you have to say… should do the trick?
That you’re not giving “nutritional” or “medical” advice but providing anecdotal evidence which has helped several diabetics you know…?

(Mary McNeight) #6

Im a dog trainer. There is no position on human nutrition. Lol. I have talked about dog nutrition in the past though and my position for years has been more meat less carbs. I dont know why I never applied that same nutrition advice to to myself until now though.

(icky) #7

Who actually asked you to retract it?
Did you get any written response (email?) from the nutritionist?
What was the exact wording of the “please retract or else” statement?
Can you copy and paste parts of it?

That would make it easier to offer (hopefully sound) advice ranging from “ignore it and laugh” to “add the usual yada yada to the video” to “how best to protect your interests”.

(Mary McNeight) #8

“Mary,
You may not realize it, but it is illegal to dispense nutrition advice, particularly for the treatment of medical conditions, without a Registered Dietitian credential. Please retract this message and avoid future messages of the like. While this diet regimen appears to have been beneficial for you, and I am thrilled for your success, it could be harmful for others as this is not an evidence-based recommendation for diabetes management.
Thank you,”
Name Redacted
Registered Dietician at Blah Blah Big 10 University

(Chris) #9

Reply with a “thanks for your comment” and pretend you didn’t hear her. :crying_cat_face:

(Mary McNeight) #10

I have been in PHYSICAL CHRONIC UNRELENTING PAIN since 1997. To be asked to be quiet and the possibility of a lawsuit for sharing how I got out of some of that pain is literally causing me to cry.

(icky) #11

Okay, so now we know what she’s on about.

You can address this stuff! :blush:

In fact, you can probably reword her message and turn it into a disclaimer that you can post next to your video!

Something like:
“As it is illegal to dispense nutrition advice, particularly for the treatment of medical conditions, without a Registered Dietitian credential, please note that I am not offering nutritional advice. I am sharing anecdotal evidence that has helped me and some diabetics I know. If you are interested in a ketogenic diet, please make sure to find a Registered Dietician who is well-versed in ketogenic diets. Please be aware that while this diet regimen has been beneficial for me, it could be harmful for some health conditions and may not be suited to everyone. Make sure you speak to a doctor or dietitian that has experience in working with ketogenic diets to check it is an appropriate diet for you. The resources and links I have posted below are a great way to start informing yourself.”

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #12

Ya, I’d tell that person to go suck a ballon.

This would seem like very sensible advise.

(icky) #14

Yeah, if it were me, I’d want something added as a disclaimer so I can sleep calmly at night, but which still allows me to get my message out.

It’s pretty funny that snarky dietician lady is getting so twitchy about this. I’m sure if Mary had said “Make sure you all eat low fat and lots of fruits and vegetables” she wouldn’t have copped a “giving nutritional advice is illegal” comment… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Chris) #15

Thanks to your genius advice, I just died of suffocation.

(Mary McNeight) #16

Do you mind if I just cut and paste this into the bottom of my blog post?

(icky) #17

Haha, yeah Rusty, I think without a Registered Inhalation credential, it’s illegal to give advice on who is to go suck what. You may want to add a disclaimer :joy:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

If you’re feeling frisky, ask her to, very specifically, say what law you are actually violating, as you have no patients and are relating an anecdote not advice.

(icky) #19

No, not at all :blush:

Try and re-word it a bit so it fits you. I just blurted that out in 60 seconds so there’s probably typos in it and some improvements that could be made! :wink:

But feel free to copy and paste for now, so you have a disclaimer in place. Then you can re-word/ improve at your leisure.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #20

http://nutritioncertificationreviews.com/nutrition-advice-qualifications/

You see, if you’re knowledgeable about nutrition, you can absolutely offer eating and healthy living resources to otherwise healthy people.

What is not legal – except for Medical Doctors (MDs) and Registered Dietitians (RDs) – is to provide medical nutritional therapy. That is, to prescribe nutritional changes specifically to treat disease.

I don’t think this dietician has a leg to stand on, as long as you are not prescribing.