Ode to collagen

(Robin) #11

Very sweet of you, thanks.

(Bob M) #12

I can’t tell what it’s doing for me either, although I’ve not been using it for long. The other problem is that I’m not sure if I got an improvement whether I would notice it, after being on low carb/keto for about 8 years. I don’t have much more that can be improved, possibly. I guess I’ll find out.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #13

My finger/toe nails now grow at a nuisance rate, much faster than years ago. So hopefully other good stuff is happening as well - just not so noticeable. :pleading_face:

(Bob M) #14

That’s why I plan on continuing for a while.

I’d also like to find other ways to get collagen, but I can’t figure out what those are yet. Tried to make/drink bone broth/stock, but never could remember to drink it. I’m finding proteins easier to remember to take.

Still looking for other things to try, though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

“Nuisance rate” is right! This happens to me, too, even without a collagen supplement. I guess I’m getting enough from the meat I’m eating.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

Hydrolyzed collagen peptides are part of the protein ingredients in my morning keto coffee. So I don’t even think about it anymore. I also make a creamy bone broth ‘beverage’ as described here, although I’ve since changed my cream to Avalon 36% whipping cream…

(Robin) #17

I use a powder of collagen peptides. 2 scoops in my morning coffee. Tasteless but somehow makes the coffee seem richer…? Could be in my head.

(Bob M) #18

I would think about the coffee, as I think it’s a good idea. It’s just I’m often trying to fast in the morning and drink coffee black. But I can rethink that. It’s not much protein. On the days I fast for OMAD or 36+ hours, I can have black. On the other days, some collagen peptides. May have to try this.

(Butter Withaspoon) #19

I just eat the connective tissue that comes with the meat, and even chew at well cooked cartilage. I make stews and slow cooked meals with the meat about 3/4 of the time which is another source. If I get the saucepan out of the fridge the day after cooking, and it’s become a solid jelly, then I assume much of that is collagen in the broth (no doubt that it’s protein!)

An advantage of cheaper cuts I suppose. Haven’t played with protein or collagen supplements… yet

(Bob M) #20

Those are all good ideas. I’ve been trying to do more of this, but it’s also tough, as my kids don’t like soups or stews. Hard to make them when it’s only me and my wife eating them.

Made a great soup the other day, and we ate it, but the kids freaked out and barely had a taste.

(Edith) #21

You can always make it and freeze in individual containers. Then just take out one of the containers for lunch if you go to the office for work.

(Robin) #22

@amwassil @VirginiaEdie @ctviggen @Hallie @PaulL
More collagen magic! (It took 8 months for me to begin to see the changes.) And I forgot 2 important ones.
First, for years (and years!) I had a nickel sized age spot right in the middle of my right cheek. Wen I was younger I tried to cover it with makeup. Finally just got over it. Nobody cares. I realized a couple months ago that it is gone. Simply disappeared.

2nd, my ugly toenails. For many years they were yellow, thick, old people toenails. I NEVER wore sandles. No one wants to see that. Well, now they are better than ever. Dare I say they are normal? Hah! Who knew!? Next summer I may buy some sandles!

(Butter Withaspoon) #23

Your positivity is wonderful robin! Do you have smooth elbows too?

I’ve been taking Collagen Peptides since July 13, 2020. This was after @Janie mentioned getting her Dad to take it, for reasons she posted. I too have always gotten a lot of Sun exposure to my arms, and over the past 8-10? Years, I’ve noticed my arms marking up easily. I also get really dry skin, especially during the hunting season with all the washing and scent sprays I use. So I was hoping it would help with this. Can’t say for sure how much it has, but I do 1 scoop each morning by just warming a cup of Tea. But I don’t use it whilst Fasting. But that’s usually just a few days, so it’s not too bad. … They say it can be added to warm liquids or foods, since it’s tasteless. But I’ve only done the morning Tea, since its easiest for me and I generally won’t forget to take it when done before heading to work.

This is the one I’ve been using since starting…

(Robin) #25

Whoa! I had not checked. But yes. Yes I do! How about that?

(Robin) #26

Same one I use.

(Bob M) #27

Does everyone just take one “scoop”, whatever that happens to be in grams? Or do you take more?

I do just one scoop daily as it states, but don’t recall what the scooper size is. It’s not tiny.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

I don’t do scoops.

(Robin) #30

I take two. I looked it up once, but can’t remember what the correct amount was.