OCTOBER 2019 Weight Maintenance Check In

(Central Florida Bob ) #41

Thank you Tamela! Very important stuff in there.

In the past week, the topic that I might be under nourishing myself has raised itself twice, now. In a thread I started a week ago on Biotin and B Vitamins messing up my nails for guitar playing, the main takeaway to me was that I may not be getting enough of some nutrients. I’ve started taking an “insurance” multivitamin every day (and don’t expect to know if it makes a difference until maybe February). The reply from @VirginiaEdie was particularly important.

My plan was to get to goal weight and cut back on fasting. On eating days, I do TMAD so that’s what I’d naturally start doing. I don’t know if going cold turkey on fasting all at once is smart, so maybe cut back fasting from three days a week to two, then to one. I haven’t actually thought out details.

Maybe I should start trying to get by with fewer fasting hours now. That’s a psychological shock. OTOH, I do have more days when I’m just kind of tired of fasting.

Background: last year about this time, I was about this weight. Instead of staying within a five pound window, I put on about 10 by January. When that got me started fasting again, I had some GI problems that I couldn’t get past (the big D). I couldn’t figure out how to not get it until May, and by that time 10 pounds had turned into 15. Because of that gain, I’ve been doing ADF since early May.

(Tamela Robinette) #42

We just gotta keep plugging away until we find what’s right. If I see the scales go up I’m not sure I won’t freak out and go back to fasting but I’m going to trust the process. I’ve also concluded I may be consuming too much protein so I’m tracking that, as well as adding in more fermented foods to feed my gut biome. Keep us posted on your progress Bob!

(KCKO, KCFO) #43

Those last few lbs can be most problematic. You just have to keep hammering away at them.

I found extended fasting got me below my desired goal weight. I do some IFing, a tad of 36 or 48 hrs. and a monthly Zornfast has kept off the weight and I am now averaging a daily weight that is 5 lbs. below my goal weight. I have an occasional bounce up to goal but that hasn’t happened in several months now. I take that as a signal that my body is healing more from all the abuse I subjected it to before keto/lchf WOE.

It is always a good idea to give some focus to how far you have come instead of only focusing on the last bit of the Journey. You will get there, you have to tools now to do it.

(Central Florida Bob ) #44

Thanks for your input on the protocols you’re following.

I’m pretty good at KCKO, and stalls are nothing unusual. For grins, here’s a plot of my weight vs week number from the time I started with my Renpho body composition scale. Three stalls since late May. That second one is weird with the excessive peak-to-peak noise.

ThreeStalls

There has been a change in the last month; in effort to figure out what’s going on with the cold hands and feet while fasting, I increased my fat intake at night around hour 24 to 26 of my fasts - which typically end after 40 hours. Sometimes 42, rarely less than 40. Instead of not allowing myself more than 100 calories, I’ve had closer to 200. I also switched my bike riding from hour 38 or 39 down by a full 24 hours to 14 to 15.

Do these things matter? Good question. Maybe?

As for focusing on how far I’ve come, I’ve been working on this since 2015 on keto and before that just staying low carb. I’m down 70 from my start and the effort is to get to 75 down. Focusing on that is what I do.

Edit to add 2:09PM EDT: I said this plot was from mid to late May. I have the date on the spreadsheet: May 26th. At 8:36 AM. May as well be precise.