OCTOBER 2019 Weight Maintenance Check In

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

It is a new month, shorter days in the Northern hemisphere and longer ones in the Southern. Anyone planning changes in your workouts or kinds of carbs you’ll be eating? Lots of tomatoes, berries, kale during this time of year in the Northern areas. I am freezing raspberries for the winter. Garlic is all seasoned and ready to go into soups and stews this winter.

Any new maintainers out there?

How are you planning on handling the Halloween treats madness this year?

SEPT. 2019 Weight Maintenance Check In
(Jane) #2

I am so remote that we don’t get any trick or treaters, so no reason to buy any candy to have laying around.

I had a challenge last year staying at my AirBnB in Ft Worth and may have it again. The owner decorates and the neighborhood has a LOT of trick or treaters come by so I sat on his porch and helped hand out candy. That part was fun. But I was fasting and he had fixed a lot to eat and had his grown kids and grandkids over. Fortunately it wasn’t a sit-down affair and people grazed randomly. I waived off at first and said I would get something later and then claimed I already had a plate an hour later and it was delicious! Nobody noticed.

If I am there again this year it will be easier because I always break my fast Thursday evening before I drive home on Friday, so I can enjoy whatever he has that isn’t carby.

As for weigh-in - will report back Friday morning when I get home. Clothes fit the same, so not concerned.

(Trudy) #3

I’m ashamed to say I’ve gone berserk eating Keto treats, drinking wine and simply losing focus. In one week I’ve put on over 2kg, maintenance weight 63kg, weighed 65.7kg this morning.

This morning I felt despair but tonight ketones must be working after IF and a lovely steak for tea and I feel more relaxed. 2kg is a drop in the ocean after losing just under 50kg, back to real food…KCKO, need to remember this.

(mole person) #4

Still holding fairly easily between 104 and 106 lbs on zero carbs. If I pass 106 on a morning weigh-in I know that I’ve been overdoing my protein and I tighten it up. But that is happening less and less now as my body has come into gear on carnivore eating.

Early on I’d just overconsume at meal times. I was too used to how you can fill up on vegetables and have that full feeling disappear shortly afterwards. On carnivore if I eat until I’m very full that feeling stays for 8 hours or more and I don’t like it. I have to remember to stop slightly before I really fill up since I get more full in the 1/2 hour after I stop eating.

Also I really have to watch my protein. If I overdo it it will affect my sleep, skin, energy levels, hunger and weight negatively. It’s very similar to the effects of carbs. In fact I’m better off having ice cream than too much protein. Sugar at least makes me sleep well and go to the bathroom easily and doesn’t hurt my stomach for hours like a high protein meal will.

Leaky Gut test and the impact of PKD (By dr. Boz.)
(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Right attitude. Just keep on keeping on, and things will settle down.

Wow that is some insightful stuff. Maybe work back in some more nutrient carbs than the ice cream? But life is for living and if you can eat it and get away with it, go for it. I never enjoyed ice cream enough to think about adding it into my eating. Grains were my “thing”. Still miss them.

(mole person) #6

Oh no. I’m carnivore for a reason. Carbs suck for me in many ways. The point that I was making is that too much protein actually affects me worse than a dose of sugar. But sugar is still bad, as are pretty much any plant stuffs.

(Jane) #7

144.6 this morning. Holding steady at my maintenance goal weight. Coming up on 2 years on keto at the end of next month.

First time I’ve eve been able to maintain my weight for this long at a setpoint I am happy with the way I look and feel.

love, love, love keto!

(Tamela Robinette) #8

I have been hovering between 142 and 145 for weeks now, though my goal weight is 140 and I’ve been kicking myself until this morning when I broke out my measuring tape. You see, I had been adding back more carbs and pushing the envelope a little, just to add more variety to my diet and see if I could maintain around 140. I start to panic when I’m closer to 145. Anyway, I measured my waist this morning and it was smaller than when I weighed 133 back in July! A full inch smaller! I’ll take it! Wooo hoo for maintenance! I’ve gone back to EF and IF more, cut back on the carbs for a week or so and have been maintaining at 142. Weekends are the toughest for me so I was happy to see 142 this morning and I’m fasting today. Should be back to 140 by the weekend :grinning:

I was up a few pounds for like a month or more, and couldn’t figure out why. Wasn’t too distraught because that weight was my original goal weight, but if I was creeping back up, I wanted to stop that. I started increasing my fat a lot more which naturally decreased my protein a bit. I dropped those few pounds right away (within a week). It was probably water weight but still, I like to monitor the number before it gets out of control. I know tape measuring is better, but I’m afraid if I measure bigger then that would mean it’s too late, it’s already out of control. Lol :laughing:

(Mame) #10

YES. this…
… this is so insightful for me, I am sitting here stunned. I am trying to unpack my fullness and satisfaction habits.
I am very used to the full feeling but you are right with carnivore (mostly) it sticks around forever. and I don’t like it.

(mole person) #11

I wish I could claim wisdom but I can’t tell you how many awful nights I spent on carnivore after having eaten too much meat with a feeling of a ton of rocks sitting in my belly. If I hadn’t had major health issues also improving at the same time I likely would have thrown in the towel.

This is probably where the urban legend about meat rotting in our stomachs comes from. Honestly though, when it finally clicked what the problem was, that was the end of it. I eat a bit slower now and after the ravenous hunger is gone I become very mindful of my level of satiety. I don’t ever let it get to “I’m stuffed.”

Do you know Dr. Cywes recommendation about how to serve food to prevent overeating?

(Mame) #12

yes indeed. I listened to his youtube interviews after I found him on the LC MD podcast last year… I direct anyone who is considering surgery as a ‘cure all’ to his info. (never had surgery myself…)

(mole person) #13

It really, really works! I started implementing that technique recently and it completely prevents me from overconsuming meats. What’s even better is that central repository even allows me to feel good about returning food to it. Sometimes towards the end of a meal I’ll think I want another bit and take it. But after a couple of bites I recognise a sign that I’m actually pretty full and just put the rest back.

Oh, by the way, this sign was another “ah ha” moment for me. I’m not sure if others share it but I’ll include it just in case. I have noticed that when I’m eating and begin to feel full but there is still food on my plate that I quite unconsciously pick up the pace of my eating in order to finish before that really full feeling catches up. So now if I catch myself speeding up toward the end of a meal I know it’s definitely time to end it right there.

Hi there. I am new to maintenance :hugs: so happy to be here! Now what do I do???” I started at 149 lbs and my goal weight was 126 lbs and today I am 124.8. I am doing keto for weight loss only. I would like to lose a few more pounds so that I have a window for fluctuations and not go over 126 again. (I am female, 5ft 5.5) I would like to be able to break out on special occasions or have bread sometimes without re-gaining weight and inches. Also I have a holiday to Italy next May and I would love to be able to eat pasta and pizza and then there’s Xmas…:roll_eyes:. I really enjoy keto woe and think I’ll be able to continue but to what degree I’m unsure. I am wondering if I transition to LCHF (not sure of the difference but I’m assuming more carbs are allowed than on keto?) if it would help with maintenance when the special occasions and holidays occur? Many thanks.

What is the recommendation?

(mole person) #16

Don’t serve food directly to your plate. Put it all on central platters and only take smaller portions. Then keep taking small portions until you feel satisfied. You get to check your satiety every time your plate empties.

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

You might want to slowly up your carbs. After my weight stabilized slightly below my original goal. I followed the Atkins ladder protocol. I worked my way to @50 carbs a day instead of the 20 I had been at, I am in my third year of maintenance, it worked for me. Staying at the level and doing some IFing and an extended monthly fast has made this very easy. Before when I lost weight by now I would have gained most or all of it back and been depressed again. It is possible to eat this way all the time, but if you have a special occasion, and over do the carbs, just get back to lchf/keto eating the next day and carry on.

Italy has other things to eat besides pizza and pasta. Tuscan steak is out of this world. The fish dishes are incredible. Try to expand your food choices there a bit when you go there.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Humm, sounds like a buffet to me, not sure I could trust myself with a keto buffet :woozy_face:

(mole person) #19

Haha…well part of my strategy is keeping the foods pretty simple. I’m usually eating beef with only salt for seasoning and a bit if liver or gelled bone broth. It’s not a buffet that keeps me craving past my hunger. But, I still can eat too much of a delicious rib eye or beef ribs (and I eat amazing cuts of meat that I really love). Not putting an entire steak on my plate is really helpful. The central platter encourages me to even set food back to it from my plate since there are always leftovers now anyhow.

Did you put any weight back on when you increased your carbs?What foods make up your carbs now you are in maintenance? Can you break out and have a slice of bread every now and then (or similar carby foods) or is it just extra veg? Also if I increase my carbs should I reduce fat and protein? Is there a macro calculator for this where I can put in 50 g carbs and it will calculate fat and protein for me to maintain? As for Italy that is exactly what I was hoping to do, have pizza one night and pasta another night and in between have meat and fish dishes. Then there’s the wine :roll_eyes:. I haven’t had alcohol since I started keto in April. I tend to binge drink at the weekends (habit that I’ve worked all week and I deserve it) and over holiday periods.

.[quote=“collaroygal, post:17, topic:93602”]
. It is possible to eat this way all the time, but if you have a special occasion, and over do the carbs, just get back to lchf/keto eating the next day and carry on.
[/quote]

This is my third time doing keto. I have Reached goal each time and then fallen off the wagon after a holiday or special occasion, the last time was last Xmas, I just carried on eating and drinking until I had gained 23 lbs! I don’t want to go back there! I have very good will power ( not one cheat in the last 7 months) while I’m dieting but none once I’ve tasted the “forbidden fruit” again :hot_face:. I am hoping that upping my carbs and getting fat and protein ratios balanced that I will be able to do it this time :slight_smile:.