OCTOBER 2019 Weight Maintenance Check In

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

I added the carbs back in slowly. 5 grams of berries besides raspberries. If I added something that gave me a bounce up, I would cut it out and try some other carb I liked, as long as no bouncing, I would add that into my list of foods I could eat. I also upped the fats a tad bit, kept the same proteins. I didn’t log, just stayed aware of what I was adding and what needed to be removed again. I found none of the grains do me any favors and they can actually hurt me, gluten in anything my body just can’t tolerate. I am gluten sensitive, so the more I stay away from grains with gluten the better I do. I cut rice because it just turns into sugar, so no traditional grains at all. I did find I could have a few grams of corn but not daily, it is a special treat. Same with apples and pears only occasionally as a treat and I can’t even eat a whole one, they are way too sweet to my taste buds now. I do ok with whole citrus fruits now as well.

I find concentrating on what I can eat, rather then what I can not eat to work better. I get to eat things that my former low fat high carb diets did not allow.

For holiday treats, select one that really says “this is a fun holiday” have some of that, just not everyday through out the feasting season. For Thanksgiving, I enjoy some sweet potato, baked with lots of butter, I never feel deprived when I eat that. For Christmas/winterfest, it is biscotti, I have now found ketoed ones that I will be using going forwards they are really nice. I never cut out wine, I have just naturally cut down on how often and how much. Two glasses and I am good now. I don’t usually practice portion control but for the higher carb stuff it is good to set a limit on those portions and how often you have them.

And again, if you over do something you have been omitting, the key is get back to it ASAP, the longer you wait, the harder it is to get your groove back. Doing an extened fast of 48 hrs. can do wonders for getting back where you need to be.

Plan ahead have dishes you can eat without concern. Limit the treat dishes and you should be fine.

All the best and happy hollies to you.

Thanks so much @collaroygal, that is do helpful ! Here goes so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

(Central Florida Bob ) #23

For some reason, I’m afraid to write this here and afraid to say I might actually be entering maintenance. It’s hard to say that.

I’m about five pounds from what I set as a goal weight, which was derived by saying I’d be OK weighing what I do now, but I want five pounds margin to allow me to change a little after I stop striving to lose weight. In rough numbers, the goal is 75 pounds down from my highest weight, and should be 21 or 22% body fat versus 23.5% now. (Renpho bioimpedance scale - yeah I know they’re not as accurate as a DEXA, but it seems to have high precision - repeatability - and I can deal with that.) Some stuff I’ve found online said that for a guy over 55, ideal body fat is 21-26%, which is where I am now and where my goal is. (and when I saw that I was “ideal” you could have knocked me over with a feather!)

I saw in another thread that someone said we should start hanging out here when we’re 15 pounds from goal, so by that measurement I’m in the right place. I know most you from elsewhere on the forum.

“Hi, I’m Bob and I’m going into maintenance”.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Hi Bob, welcome to the Maintenance Crew.

It is good to get into thinking about maintenance before you get there. It has its own challenges.

I too have a range weight, I hope to never go over the top of that range again. And if I do, I want to drop down quickly back in range.

(Tamela Robinette) #25

Welcome Bob! It can be a challenge, this whole maintenance lifestyle but it’s the best place to be! The hardest part is over and now you just have to focus on staying in that optimal zone. They’ll be ups and downs but just being aware of how easy it is to go back to the misery is half the battle!

(Central Florida Bob ) #26

Thank you, @Robinette71 and @collaroygal for the welcome.

There’s going to be a lot of keeping an eye on the scale, looking for new patterns. For the last five months I’ve been doing alternate day fasts - fasting three days a week. The rest of life has kind of alternated around that. I settled on when/how I’m going to weigh in - first thing in the morning on the day after a fast. With the Renpho scale I think I see patterns I wouldn’t have seen weighing once or twice a week. I don’t expect to be fasting every other day once I’m fully at goal weight, but I imagine I’ll keep doing fasting days. I expect to keep doing my ADFs until I get there.

Your advice on how you approach that would be appreciated.

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

I believe in mixing it up. I do IFing usually 16/8 or 18/6 most days, but I do go out to breakfast with my husband at least once on the week ends. I also do 2-3 36 hr-40hr. fasts a month, along with the monthly Zornfast, which can be any protocol I feel like that particular week. I’ve done black coffee/salt for 80+ hrs.or done bone broth. I have no set pattern for my body to get used to. I am just so thankful I am not hungry all the time and can easily choose to not eat at any time.

I step on the scale first thing in the morning after I visit the loo. I write down my weight, about once a month I look at the numbers and see if weight is trending upwards or downwards. I do not let the scales get to me anymore. Just another dang thing about keto/lchf WOE.

Megan Ramos has spoken on several podcasts about eating OMAD for maintenance, not weight loss. If you are doing lots of ADFasting, the OMAD should be super easy for you to do. She thinks it is great for keeping the weight off. Just make sure it is a nutrient dense meal daily and you should be fine.

(Tamela Robinette) #28

I agree wholeheartedly with the above. I find if I eat two meals a day along every day my weight creeps up, especially if I indulge in wine on the weekend or up my carbs at all. I’m mostly OMAD during the work week or 18/6. I try to do 18/6 on weekends but it sometimes ends up 16/8. I don’t sweat the scales unless I trend to the higher end of my goal weight range. When I see the number on the higher end I do a little longer fast, 42 or 48, have a OMAD day and jump back into a 20-24 hour fast and that brings the weight back down quickly. I don’t feel deprived at all doing this. I’m usually pretty miserable when I’ve overindulged and ready for that empty feeling fasting brings.

(Terry) #29

Hello. Newbie here at the forum. Glad to have found this place!

I’m a 57 year old male 5’8” who went Keto with IF 16/8 the day after Easter 2019. I’ve lost 45 pounds since that day. Gave up the nightly IPA, the ice cream, the pizza, the pasta and bread, and the endless snacking. Needless to say I’ve never felt better! Feel like I’m 30 years old again. I’m also a mall walker who averages 3-5 miles a day walking.

I went from 190 lbs to currently 145. Still enjoy IF and eating TMAD. My plans are to begin strength training to build more lean muscle. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t lose a lot of muscle when I lost all the weight. I have a fairly active job with landscaping work.

My question is “where do I go from here?” I don’t want to lose anymore weight. I still enjoy fasting. And I don’t want to reintroduce “trigger foods” that might lead me back to my former diet. Don’t think that will ever happen, but why even tempt myself?

P.S. I haven’t been very good at tracking macros. I just know the right foods from the wrong ones.

Thanks! Terry.

(KCKO, KCFO) #30

Great results CarbSlayer.

I had a chat with Dr. Phinney at the Ketofest in July, his advice is keep your healthy fats around 80%, eat protein and use low carb veggies. My husband is 6’, 70, and weighs 145 most days and would really like to add a few lbs. back, that is why I asked the good dr. about it. He suggested using fatty salad dressings to reach that higher level of fats. BTW, neither of us track calories or macros, we have learned what works for us, my needs are different than hubby’s, and we have meals that work for both of us. He is always going to pass on the cabbage dishes:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All the best in staying on track.

(Terry) #31

Thanks for the reply. Great suggestion with the salad dressing! Can always use some more healthy fat in the mix.

(traci simpson) #32

I’m still toggling between 159-163. I started in June at 165 ish. Not much of a loss which is frustrating. Oh well…

(Susan) #33

Welcome to the forum, Terry, and congratulations on your Keto victories so far, and best wishes for the rest of your journey.

I use a free program to track my macros called cronometer.com.

(oops sorry, I didn’t read this was in the Maintenance section,I am far from that, but that app is free).

(Terry) #34

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the Cronometer suggestion! Looks helpful.

(Bunny) #35

Gaining weight on keto?

“Why am I gaining weight following a strict ketogenic diet?” (long-term keto)

If you see the above question which I’ve seen quite often, here is why? (may not apply to everyone but probably to the majority)

Adding resistant starch (is so vitally important for long-term keto that you can’t do it without it) and increasing my carbs to over 100 solved the problem with gaining and not losing or maintaining my weight loss along with weight lifting and cardio.

And if you don’t believe me and have any doubts watch the following video all the way through esp. the iodine part:

High Salt Diets & Athletic Performance w/ Dr. James Dinicolantonio (the author of salt fix)

Is Salt BAD For You? Dr DiNicolantonio, Author: The Salt Fix and Super Fuel

My Interview with James J. DiNicolantonio on The Salt Fix

The Salt Fix with Dr. James DiNicolantonio (two keto dudes)

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

Atomicbunny, I haven’t added resistant starch and I keep my weight in the range I want it to be. I can eat up to about 50 grams of carb, but most days I do not. I love Keto/lchf WOE, only thing that got the weight off and kept it off.

Salt and I are old friends, I never was good at cutting back on it. I used to eat fries with so much salt, I was actually asked by someone “Having a few fries with your salt.”

Editing to add for veggies I prefer the green ones, not just leafy ones, a little bit of onions, carrots and tomatoes, some cauliflower or eggplant. Before I was more grainarian than vegetarian, now I eat a ton more veggies than when I called myself vegetarian. I love all the berries too, just an occasional bit of apple, pear or citrus and that takes care of the fruit side of things. So resistant starch items are not at the top of my preferred foods anyway.

(Central Florida Bob ) #37

I guess that being the 30th, it isn’t the end of the month, but I’m still here. I haven’t reached my goal, because that’s the bottom of a 5 pound range that I’d like to stay in. This morning, I’m a pound above the top of that range. Last Friday, I was just below the top.

As predictable as the summer rains, once I posted about thinking I should start paying attention to maintenance a few weeks ago, weight loss stalled. For the last three weeks, I’ve been in a range that’s 1.6 pounds wide.

(KCKO, KCFO) #38

Happy Halloween everyone. :jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern:

CFLBob, 1.6 lb. range sounds very tight to me. You’re doing well.

I’ve started next month’s thread here

(Central Florida Bob ) #39

Happy Halloween to you, too! :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern:

My only problem with the 1.6 lb. range is that I’m still supposed to be losing, not on a plateau. In the three weeks, I’d have loved to have lost three pounds. In theory, it’s the last five pounds to go.

If maintenance is going to entail fasting three days a week, maybe that’s a sign that I can’t do it.

(Tamela Robinette) #40

I have come across a similar scenario Bob. I wanted to get to 135 and I did for a day or 2 but since vacation back in July, I’ve developed this nasty habit of binge eating, then fasting hard during the work week to get back down and then binge eating again on the weekends. It’s a nasty cycle. So I’ve decided to give up OMAD and fasting for a period and just eat 2MAD at slightly above maintenance calories. I seriously believe I have been under eating the right foods for some time now and that is triggering me to binge eat stuff that is absolutely horrible for me. I’ve gained 9 pounds in the process, my joints ache and I’ve lost all desire to exercise. This close to goal I don’t believe we should have to fast 3 days a week to maintain our weight. I fully believe in TRE and intermittent fasting and will practice TRE, but for now I need to step away from the fasting and nourish my body and some things I’ve read lead me to believe this will get me back to where I need to be. It will be a N=1 for sure. Let’s hope it works because I’m terrified of gaining all my weight back and clearly what I’ve been doing isn’t working. I will post in the November maintenance thread my progress.