Observation of Blood Vs. Breath Ketones with inverse relationship

(Scott Telfer) #1

Afternoon all,
Not really looking for advice, more just sharing my observations which I find interesting. I’ve read much about the considerations need when attempting to assess ketone utilisation and economy by cells against levels present in testing and be aware of what each test is actually telling you.

Last couple of blood vs breath readings seem to be following inverse relationship.

for example 0.8 mmol Blood ketone (comparatively low for me) reading but 3xOrange Flash Ketonix (old school 1st edition Sort) one afternoon;
Then 1.9/2 mmol the next afternoon but only 4 x Green Flash on Ketonix

No real call for concern and makes sense when you think about the way the body might be appraoching the fuel mix at any one time, but just wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers

(Linda) #2

I’ve got the new version of the Ketonix and can’t seem to get (what I consider) reliable consistent results at all. I don’t have a blood meter so can’t contribute with comparisons.

I’ve been backwards and forwards with the Australian rep numerous times and am now onto my second device as it appears the first one was faulty.

I know I’m in ketosis (can fast for days at a time + other signs) but the results are often and usually in the blue range (0-4PPM). I rejoice if I get into the green zone and then it’s mostly under 10. I’ve tested the device by putting it close to the opening of a bottle of nail polish remover - at her suggestion, it the reading goes sky high, so I know it picks up acetone.

On her last email to me she quoted the following:

“Remember, what you consider low readings might be your new fat adapted numbers.”

I knew that urine strips were useless after the first few weeks which is why I didn’t waste my money on them but had I known that a $275 device was going to give the same sort of result, I wouldn’t have bothered.

Has anyone else found the same thing with the Ketonix or can add anything else?

(Andrew Anderson) #3

I have had the same issues. My blood ketones range form 1.5-7.0 this week. I have a newer ketonix and have not blown above a blue 2.0. I hear if you drink a coffee cup of scotch you can blow a red 110! :wink:

I found this a while back and all though i’m really skeptical of it it seems to correlate well with my testing. It shows that they have an exponential relationship. I’ve always understood blood readings to be how many bullets you have in the chamber and brAce to be how shells are on the ground as in they don’t match up.

Also I would also think that healthier, more adapted mitochondria would utilize ketones more efficiently. Anyone have any articles on that?

(Linda) #5

Yes, I’ve found it very frustrating to say the least!

That’s what i’ve been doing too with great results. Shots of tequila are basically a cheap alternative to exogenous ketones. After about 8 shots, my breathe readings are through the roof and I feel a nice cozy feeling and some sort of buzz or “acetonebriation” as i call it. I’ve been doing this daily for the past 6 months. :wink:

(Dany Bolduc) #7

I obtained my Ketonix USB about 3 weeks after starting on Keto and I had similar results (2-8) for a couple weeks straight.
At about 6 or 7 weeks into Keto I started registering readings 35+, up to 93.
For the last several weeks I’m ranging from 25 to 80, and I can realistically correlate the readings to what I eat (or drink… the morning after drinking alcohol will be lower)

In the meantime, I’ve started 3 other people on Keto and taking measures with the same Ketonix, and they all get different and fairly stable sets of readings.

So far, nothing to really indicate that it would be faulty or inaccurate.