O.K. Three weeks in... Need some quick guidance about maintaining and testing

(Erik) #1

Hi all! Brand new here, and brand new to Keto.

I started approximately three weeks ago and was able to drop about 13 lbs in that time. I, however attribute a lot of that to water weight as well as just eating better.

Male, 5’ 11", 310 lbs

My daily intake- I start the morning with a green smoothie, 1/2 avocado, spinach, very low carb protein powder, walnuts, flax seed and chia seed with water. Add a keto coffee- tbsp of Kerrygold and Tbsp of MCT.

Lunch is usually a fatty protein like today was pork with a half a cup of veggies.

Snacks include serving of salami and oz of kerrygold irish butter.

Thats a typical rundown until perhaps dinner, but usually i am at a caloric intake for the day. I always try to keep my Carbs to less than 20g.

I have a Keto Mojo and I always test around .9 mmol/L. Pretty consistently except morning or right before bed. So, maybe not that consistent.

Is this a good level to be at? What can I do to maintain? What can I do to boost this? Am I still burning fat at this level like this?

What about testing glucose- I am pre-diabetic so I am curious- is testing what I should be doing as well? If so, what numbers should I be looking for?

I have tried to read a lot on this, but I need a straight “explain like im five.”

Hopefully someone is willing to help! Thanks!

(Ken) #2

You’re fine. Don’t be concerned with ketone levels, the issue is Lipolysis, not Ketosis. Why do you snack? If you’re not hungry don’t eat.

(Erik) #3

I do get hungry before lunch while at work. So I bring the salami and cheese.

(Robert) #4

Wow, your story almost mirrors mine almost exactly, even down to the numbers. I like the smoothie idea, i’m going to try that. I am about 4 weeks into it and if you are getting hungry it sounds like you need more fat. Limit your carbs ands proteins to your macros and fill up or snack when hungry with fats. It sounds like you have that part down though. Once you become fat adapted I think the snacks will go the way of the Dodo. That is kinda where I am now. Don’t take my word for it though, like you, I am a beginner and I could very well be way off base. But that is the impression I get from other posts.

I found your post because I was wondering if my desire to eat was out of habit or actual hunger. If I don’t think about it, I don’t feel hungry and can go many hours without food. I drink coffee all day with heavy cream and that might be keeping my hunger at bay but when I do eat, I am actually hungry for food and enjoy it, but only eat small portions because I fill up fast.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

@SirChubsAlot has made a lot of good points. As long as you are keeping carbs low, which you are, you are taking care of the most important matter. Next is to be sure to get enough protein, so as to prevent lean tissue loss. Lastly, fill up on fats. Eat till you are full, then stop. Ideally, you should be able to go several hours without hunger until the next meal. If you need to snack, snack on fatty foods, and add more fat at the next meal. Since insulin spikes with each meal, the idea is to eat infrequently but satisfyingly. The more hours in the day when your insulin is low, the more your body can burn off all that extra fat.

Counting calories isn’t necessary. If you are keeping carbs low, the resulting low insulin level will allow your satiety signaling to start functioning again, and this will limit your appetite automatically to a good level for your body. As Robert mentions, it can be difficult at first to distinguish between cravings and real hunger, but you will soon get the hang of it. Done right, a ketogenic diet automatically keeps you at a caloric level that allows your body to burn off its excess fat, while also burning up all the calories you eat.

(Robert) #6

Man your posts almost always answer questions I didn’t even know I had. Thank you for that. One thing in particular you said that made me think is

I drink coffee daily. 4 12oz mugs each with 1 oz heavy cream, no sweeteners. I am not going over my daily fat macro but my fear is I am keeping my body from burning its own stores because of a steady intake of fat over more than half my day. Is that possible? Its 40 gr of fat and 400 calories. I can go less, it makes no difference to me. I can drink it black. I only added the cream to get the fat intake.

(Erik) #7

I second this question and wow- thank you Paul for the information!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I drink most of my coffee black, which is really how I prefer it anyway, and save the heavy cream to put in my coffee at mealtime, often as dessert. That helps maximize the hours in the day when insulin is low.

Also, don’t feel you have to eat fat for the sake of eating fat! Yes, it’s going to be a major source of calories, because it won’t raise our insulin, but once we stop being hungry, we should also stop eating! If you get enough at each meal you’ll find it easy to go for hours before you get hungry again.

(Of course, your’e talking to someone who still gets carb cravings, even when I’m not the least bit hungry, lol!) :shallow_pan_of_food::bowl_with_spoon:

(Robert) #9

Thank you, Sir! Starting today I am going to drink my first coffee heavily leaded and the last 3 black. I am usually not hungry until very late in the day and I think that is why, but I still eat. Going to change that and see how I fare. Thanks, I appreciate your time and thoughts.