Nuts-only diet

(German Ketonian) #1

I am trying to live off nothing but nuts (except some salad and olive oil on the side). Once I hit 20g of carbs, my day is done. Works quite well with macadamias, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts. Anyone else tried this? It’s tasty for sure, and almonds fill me up surprinsingly well.

Today I had, 125g macadamias, 150g almonds, 50 grams hazelnuts, 50g olive oil (with 200g salad). amounting to 2600kcals, 250g fat, 60 g protein, 20 grams net carbs.

It’s sure tasty… boring keto, but still tasty as heck!

Need Food I can share with a no-oil vegan
(TJ Borden) #2

Oh yeah, the squirrel diet… no, I’ve never heard of it, but I love the idea of experimenting. Keep us posted on how it goes.

If you have things portioned out, it would be awesome to see a pic for a visual of how many nuts that is total.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

I would love a pic as well. I love nuts but am always afraid they will take me way over the carb limit, even though I just eat a handful a day. But they are great hunger stoppers and make me feel full for hours.

(German Ketonian) #4

I’ll try to upload some pics for the day. Unfortunately, I am on the road most of the time now (so there is pragmatic argument for me not wanting to cook), so I don’t know if I will be able to post this. I’ll try my best, though!

eating that many nuts I hope you are soaking and sprouting

(German Ketonian) #6

I think I am really content with eating nuts only. The only concern I have is the poor Omega 3-6 ratio in almonds and hazelnuts. So I guess there will be some fatty fish here and there.

(Rob) #7

Fascinating. So that is 86.5% fat per Kcalorie macros?

Please record your progress since it is interesting both from an increased fat proportion (the impact of which is HOTLY debated around here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and also from the viability of the squirrel diet per other nutrients, personal sustainability, satiation etc. You’re not focused on losing weight (IIRC) but if you are tracking body comp, that would be very interesting to know.

Is the 2600kcal what you would normally consume or is that slightly arbitrary based on hitting that 20g net carb figure? If so, is it more or less than normal.

I haven’t done it myself except that if I fat fast, it is just with macadamias so I suppose I have had nut only days but only at a few hundred kcalories. If this seems to work for you, I would consider taking one for Team Obese!!

How to turn a negative (nut addiction) into a positive, maybe? :clap:

PS High quality fish oil might be the O3 balance you need?

(German Ketonian) #8

Thanks for the interest in this @Capnbob

You’re correct in pretty much all you’re saying. No, my goal isn’t weight loss. I am fairly lean @ around 6,1 and 170lbs. I am doing doing this purely out of convenience at the moment. I am travelling most of the time and return home every day @ around 10pm, which is why I have eaten already. Nuts are one of the food you can enjoy out of the package and are very keto safe.

Right now, I am concentrating on: almonds, pecans, macadamias, hazelnuts, pili nuts. Those will be the staple, although some walnuts might slip in here and there.

Regularly, I eat around 2500-3000kcals per day. I have a reasonably active lifestyle with around 15000 steps daily due to my commute to work, but still sit in the office for most of the day. So today I am eating, 400 grams of Hazelnuts, which puts me at 2,724 kcals (23c 256f 68p). So the neat thing about nuts for me is that my daily carb limit pretty much aligns with my usual kcals per day.

You could say that, with this diet, nuts become the PERFECT keto food because it puts me at a PERFECT macro ratio of high fat, medium protein and low carb.

For me, this also makes things temendously easy! And interestingly, if I consume nuts and pretty much nothing else, there is, like you said, no overeating. If I can have 200+grams of nuts per sitting, then I really get full. It loses it’s appetizing effect it usually has and I can eat to satiety. I feel stuffed and happy with these many delicious nuts.

Another benefits of a pure nut diet is that it contains virtually all micronutrients we could ask for. Nuts are absolute powerhouses if I understand the science correctly.

This morning, I noticed an increased urge to go to the toilet (number 2), because of all the fiber (in addition to me usual green leafies). I am down 1 pound roughly so far. I am excited to see how my weight is tomorrow after a clean 400grams hazelnut diet today.

(German Ketonian) #9

By the way: Ketones were 2,6 this morning, BG was 90. The morning before I started the nuts diet, ketones were at 1,1, BG was 108 (I am dawn effect sensitive, so to speak).

(German Ketonian) #10

Here’s what 200grams of hazelnuts look like. Trust me: it’s a LOT!

This is what I ate today times 2 in 2 big meals. I am feeling full and energetic, no bloating or anything. No problems so far. Next to the three macro stats, it’s roughly 40g of fiber. So it just hits the recommended daily values for men when it comes to fiber as well! Nuts are a super food, it appears!

Nuts do contain a anti nutrient that prevents the body from taking on many minerals, why i mentioned soaking and sprouting. Your proper amount of nuts for health maybe controlled better if having to shell them as you go. I do love nuts, and like your idea, and hope it works for you.

(Katie) #12

Very interesting.
In addition to the suggestions to soak and sprout, I recommend that you avoid nuts that have been roasted because the roasting process usually involves sketchy oils that are damaged in the heating process.

(Rob) #13

So, are you now 1 week in to being totally nuts? :crazy_face::chestnut:

Any updates on progress? Either on the logistics/sustainability and/or markers/measurements/results?

Just to confirm, have you been eating

1. roasted or raw (or bought raw and then self roasted?)
  2. Salted, unsalted, self-salted?
  3. Did you try this soak/sprout business (not entirely sure the process for that… looking it up).

I only really like roasted/salted but would be prepared to put in the prep work if I had to soak/roast/salt myself… :roll_eyes:

I’ve stocked up on a few days worth of pre roasted macadamias and hazelnuts, just in case… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ohhhhh! TREE nuts. I thought this was going to be about a diet exclusively for dudes.

(German Ketonian) #15

It’s going very well so far! Haven’t noticed any changes to my body so far. Weight, feeling and such have been the same. I feel fine. On Friday I binged on nearly 2 pounds of pili nuts, just because I could :wink:. But those 6500kcals only amounted to a weight gain of 1 pound and haven’t been hungry all Saturday. As as a corollary, I am now 45 hours fasted and lost more than 3 pounds as the nuts worked their way out of my system… I will continue the fast until Sunday late afternoon, which is 8 hours from now where I am located. That’s pretty much the update :slight_smile:

(German Ketonian) #16

Ketones have been quite stable around 3 mmol/L, sometimes 4,5, sometimes 2,5… Breath acetone was the same. Net carb intake was never higher than 22g. Fiber doesn’t affect me very much, as I am quite insulin sensitive, so I count net carbs.

I have been wondering about this myself, as I appreciate the simplicity of nuts and was considering doing a ‘nut fast’ sorta thing.

Nuts-only for the longer term though brings up amino acid questions, as well as sources for ubuiquinone/COQ10 and others.

The soaking makes nuts taste like do when they’re fresh off the tree - so wonderful!!! I’ve had the privilege of being able to eat fresh fallen French walnuts and Texas pecans - so much vitality!!!

Romanian keto researcher Cristi Vlad in his book Ketone Power: Superfuel for Optimal Mental Health and Ultimate Physical Performance wrote of using lots of almonds, and peanut butter. I’d love to be able to eat more nuts-only and nuts-with-cheese/wine meals, and this post inspires me further, thanks!

The subject is also really interesting pertaining to a dear old recently-vegan friend. I know lots of vegan keto cookbooks exist now, and was telling her about vegan keto w/ supplements etc (except I shared with her my fave Ginger brand info and inadvertently didn’t search for the ones with vegetarian capsules and I think I offended her unfortunately, alas).

(German Ketonian) #18

Oh and by the way: ALL of my nuts are pure, either in the shell, or - if not - not processed. Nothing roasted or salted, as this creates more inflammatory potential due to trans-fats or other shenanigans.

(Ken Hallenius) #19

I noticed that you’re in Germany, but here in the USA, we can get Red-Shelled Walnuts at Trader Joe’s (owned by the same family that owns Aldi), and they are 0 carb (3g carbs, of which 3g are fiber). If you can get access to those, they would improve your Omega 3:Omega 6 ratio considerably!

(Katie) #21

Ha, maybe this is a new ‘fasting protocol’; there is the egg fast and the nut fast :wink: