Nutrients we miss on keto

(Andzej Nameiko) #1

Hi all,

First thing we miss on keto is electrolites and water of course. Does it covers electrolites - mineral water infused with cations Mg2+ (1000mg/l), Na+ (1700mg/l), Ca2+ (380mg/l) and anions HCO-3 (7800mg/l), SO2-4 (2100mg/l), Cl- (75mg/l), CO2 (3500mg/l). And what about ZMT supplement?

Any keto friendly electrolites recipe?

What about other nutrients we can’t get enough on keto and should pay attention at? Especially while weight training 3 times per week.

(Susan) #2

(Andzej Nameiko) #3

:ok_hand:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Since our ancestors managed to survive without nutrient supplementation, it stands to reason that a healthy diet of real food ought to provide all the nutrients we need, barring (of course) any medical condition that requires supplementation.

Since you are lifting weights, you probably want to eat at the high end of the protein recommendation (1.0-1.5 g/kg LBM/day) and to be sure to eat foods containing the essential BCAA’s: leucine, iso-leucine, and valine. In general, we don’t want excessive amounts of BCAA’s, because they can cause inflammation and fatty liver disease, but they are necessary for building muscle, so you will need more than most people do.

Since we don’t know their health conditions or how well or how long they lived I would not depend to much on statements like this. How many of them SUFFERED from poor diet? At lest some of our ancestors survived many plagues as well and many may have starved to death. Plants taste good so there’s no reason to assume ANY of our so called ancestors were ever carnivore and yet going carnivore for a time seems to help SOME people with auto-immune issues but that does not mean it’s good for everyone.

Plus, how do we know or ancestors did not supplement? Why are herbs and spices always in high demand that some even go to war to get them?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Isotope analysis of bones and of mummy tissue can pretty accurately indicate the nature of the diet people ate. Hunter gatherer populations, which ate almost exclusively meat, were taller, show no signs of bone malformation or dental caries, and no skeletal signs of other diseases. Populations that adopted agriculture and ate a plant-heavy diet, such as the ancient Egyptians, are shorter, have bone deformities, show evidence of caries and gum disease, and show other signs of ill health, including central obesity (as depicted in sculptures) and other signs of metabolic disregulation.

The conclusion is that our ancestors ate a high percentage of meat in their diet, if not exclusively meat, for most of human history (agriculture being a comparatively late developement); this is confirmed by the fact that a number of isolated tribes are documented to have been eating almost exclusively meat at the time of first contact, relying on plant matter for food only in times of famine. The relative fitness of the meat-eating Maasai in comparison to their mostly vegetarian neighbours, the Kikuyu, was documented in the 19th century by British colonial medical officers. Stefansson and others documented the Inuit diet at the turn of the 20th century as being exclusively of meat products, and Stefansson proved the point by joining with Andersen in their famous meat-eating diet in 1927-28.

The average life-span question is confounded by the childhood infectious disease issue, plus the lesser ability to treat injuries. However, populations such as the native tribes of the Great Plains of the American midwest were noted for their high percentage of centenarians (before they adopted the white man’s diet, of course), and this would tend to indicate that provided one survived into adulthood, life expectancy was high on a mostly animal-food diet.

I’d say that the evidence that a proper human diet contains a high percentage of animal-sourced food and very little plant-sourced food is pretty convincing.

Hmm . . . Since mostly only herbivores use salt licks it make me wonder why going to a more carnivorous died would increase the need for salts. The Bible says to put salt on ALL sacrifices (which they ate). Salt is definitely a supplement. Makes you wonder why they would need this as a law.

(Candace) #8

I drink 1 - 2 tsp of a SOLE solution (mixed with water) in the morning. It is basically just water that has been saturated with salt (1/2 Real salt, 1/2 Himalayan). Once that solution is gone, I will just start adding a tsp of one of those to my water, twice a day. If I salted my food more, I wouldn’t even add it to the water, but I do not like a lot of salt on my food…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Human cultures that eat only meat also avoid adding salt, apparentlty. It is perhaps because they are getting enough sodium from the blood of their kills. I have also read that the reason Maasai herders drink the blood of their cattle is precisely for the salt.

In a culture such as ours, however, where salt consumption is discouraged and we don’t regularly get blood from our meat, perhaps it is worth paying attention to our salt intake. The U.S. guideline for sodim intake is so low that anyone trying to eat that low an amount of salt would experience severe hyponatraemia.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

One time a Dr. suggested my salt intake might be too high. I cut way back for a few days…by the 3rd day, I felt like cr@p ! Ugly headache… Started eating more salt, problem solved. I now believe your body will tell you how much salt you need.