Nutrient density - optimising nutrition - Marty Kendall

conversationstarters

(Jason) #1

Marty Kendall has smashed the ball out if the park with this one. This is required reading if you have become a ketogenic eater especially when hitting a plateau. If you still eat The Standard American Diet this will outline why Low Carb Healthy Fat works and why over time it isn’t all about pounding fat. Nutrient density is key no matter how you eat.

Excerpts:

many skinny people are actually insulin resistant (TOFI). It sort of depends on how much energy your belly is willing to store before it starts pumping the excess fat into your vital organs.

The irony here is that you may look healthier if you are skinny, but it may mean that your adipose tissue is able to store less energy before it transitions to start storing excess energy in your vital organs.

Everyone who goes on LCHF loses a ton of weight, and then hits a plateau. This is extremely common. Almost universal.

If you eat enough fat, the flow of fat into your adipose sites will equal the flow of fat out of your adipose sites and you’re just going to plateau.

My number one priority is nutrient density. Eat less fat bombs and instead eat the highest nutrient density foods you possibly can and then more of the fat that you’re burning comes from your internal body stores.

I recommend really high fat diets for people who are really glucose dependent to help them get fat adapted. Then, once you have reached your ideal body weight you have to eat a high fat diet then as well because you’re burning fat. But there is a period in the middle when you’re plateaued when you do want to eat less fat because you want your fat to come off stored body fat.

the liberation of calories from added sugars requires nutrients, and increases nutritional demands, but these sugars provide no additional nutrients. Thus, the more added sugars one consumes, the more nutritionally depleted one may become. This may be particularly extreme in individuals whose habitual diet is already lacking in key micronutrients.”

So, unless you’re fasting or exercising intensely, it seems that having a lower total energy (i.e. blood glucose plus blood ketones) might be a better place to be rather than having super high ketone levels.

@Marty_Kendall provides a great resource of food information for wherever you are on your keto journey and goals. I prefer a higher than normal GKI myself for mental clarity. This means I have a higher total energy level too, but it’s worth it for me.

[Edit]
I also find this nugget of information useful… “higher consistent levels of breath acetone could be a more useful indication than blood ketones that you are burning fat rather than just eating fat.[13]”

I believe this is consistent with @tdseest 's findings in his n=1.

(Richard Morris) #3

Yeah acetone is a better marker for AcetoAcetate production than pee strips that measure Acetoacetate remaining after use :slight_smile:

Confusing results zero carb
(Jacquie) #4

I read Marty’s work regularly. I strive for nutrient dense food and then there’s reality. It’s a balance. :slight_smile:

(Erin Macfarland ) #5

Is this something that could be measured with one of the cheap breathalyzers people use to detect the presence of acetone? Or is this referring to an actual ketone breath meter?

It’s referring to the Ketonix in particular. I don’t think you can get a quantitatively meaningful number out of a cheap breathalyzer, but then I don’t have one of either.

Nail on head hit!

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

I’m thinking the cheap monitor might have a place in measuring trends but not necessarily accuracy. Kind of like my scale at home that measures body fat. It’s not nearly as accurate as the fancy scale at my gym but it gives me an idea of which direction I’m trending in. I measure blood ketones but the breath analyzer might be interesting to fiddle with .

I think it might be especially useful for you, given the amount of exercise you do.

(Erin Macfarland ) #10

Couldn’t hurt right?!

For an excellent review of nutrient dense foods and their proper preparation to avoid destroying the nutrients, check out the book : Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. You can also look online at the Weston A. Price Foundation website which has excellent health and nutrition articles!

(Jacquie) #12

I’ve got her book! It’s excellent! :slight_smile:

(Tom Seest) #13

I find the information coming from my Precision Xtra to be valuable, but I also value the Ketonix.

As an example, my blood ketone levels (BHB) over the last three weeks have been very low, but I’ve had pneumonia and bronchitis, and no exercise to speak of. My Ketonix readings for breath acetone have been far more consistent.

Based on what I know about my health, and those readings, I can surmise that my body is using ketones for repair and I’m still steadily producing Ketones, even if they aren’t reflected in the blood.

(Erin Macfarland ) #14

That’s interesting. I think I’ll get a cheapo breath analyzer and see what happens!

(Tom Seest) #15

You’re just as wild and crazy as the rest of us…:grin:

(Erin Macfarland ) #16

Heck ya! I figure I’ll be a Guinea pig for a good cause!

(Mark) #17

That was a good article by Marty,it makes me feel better about eating my favorite meal ,steak and eggs with a nice salad with blue cheese dressing and some Avocado, nothing out of a box and my body seems to be feeding off my fat stores when I fast,in all my years it never occurred to me to stop eating for a few days,but listening to the stories,of people on the forum and the podcast motivated me to try it,and low and behold it’s working, I go a few days without eating and I didn’t die,and as long as I eat nutrient dense food when I do start eating again instead of massive amounts of carbs,and sugar,my body is not yelling at me anymore with aches and pains and inflammation, and I don’t make old man noises anymore when I try to get up from a chair from being in pain.

(Stormy Wynter) #18

I read ‘The End of Diabetes’ by: Joel Fuhrman M.D. and am Leary about going low carb let alone ketones after reading that book. Especially with my particular health issues. He claims science backs it all up, just like the opposite views do. (Keto sites/books etc.) I’m left fully confused.

(Richard Morris) #19

Yeah that’s frustrating. I’d have to read his book and point out for you any areas that I think he got wrong - or right.

I know that a ketogenic diet reversed my own Diabetes, and when I helped my buddy @Carl to do it it did the same for him, and we’ve heard from thousands of listeners to our podcast who had the same experience. So any argument that low carb is on the face of it bad for you is disproved by that experience.

One general problem with nutrition research is to do it properly in an RCT is expensive. If you wanted to find out if say mushrooms are good for you, you would lock a representative group of people in a ward for a decade and feed both the same meal but in one half you’d also give them mushrooms. And at the end of the study you’d measure everything and you’d be able to state what effect mushrooms have.

What we usually do though is we send a couple hundred thousand nurses a survey every year asking them to list everything they ate in the previous year, and then we measure their health and we look for weak associations. The problem is there could be thousands of confounding variables that could be the cause of these things, even assuming that asking someone what they ate the previous year will provide a reliable record.

@DiscoStew calls Nutritional epidemiology - the Science of making shit up.

So what this means is that if you want you can find associations that everything and anything can be associated with anything. And this allows people with proprietary diet plans to cherry pick studies that show what they want to show … and pull the wool over people’s eyes.

The evidence that supports a low carb diet for Diabetes includes randomized controlled trials

http://bjsmbeta.bmj.com/content/51/2/133.full?platform=hootsuite