November 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

Well, I actually ended up doing OMAD today. - Was up at 4:30am, and in the tree by 5:30am, but with temps just above 30° and winds 15+, gusty and steady, it got a little cold indeed. … Came back home some hours later and actually was quite cold to the core, and couldn’t seem to get but so warmed up.

So after I woke some time later under a blanket, it was too late to go back out for the evening, and the Wife made me some Coffee and heated up some Burgers from last night. So I just did OMAD, and will probably just do the same tomorrow too since I need to run into work to do a half day of training for the remaining Snow Contractors. … If anything, I might just start a Fast after Sunday night, being I plan to hunt all day on Monday, (being a Holiday) and then back to work on Tuesday.

(Failed) #142

Congratulations! Good job.

(back and doublin' down) #143

Hit that autophagy icon! Going to 42, then TMAD x2, then another 42 hr fast. @Momof5 gave me the idea! Thanks. It’s felt really good and natural today to not eat.

Cheers to all who are fasting :slight_smile: KCFO

(Bob M) #144

Was thinking of trying two 36 hour fasts this week. But I’m only 15 hours into this…and I’m freezing. My hands are ice cold. The odd thing is that where I am, it’s actually warm, relatively speaking: in the mid 60s (F). It’s going to be less than one third of that tomorrow with the wind.

I have not been able to determine when I’ll be cold and when I won’t. I think it’s related to fat and/or calories, but I ate a lot the last two days. I also did a lot of work, too. Maybe the latter overcame the former?

Who knows? Bad mood, sleep, stress, tiredness, lack of sunshine or exercise may make us cold and of course, zillion other things. Fasting never did that to me but it obviously does to others and it makes sense.

(back and doublin' down) #146

@ctviggen I’ve gotten those cold moments in the past when fasting. I think I just took it as a sign my body was working on something and needed that fuel for something other than keeping me warm.

Did great with the first round of 42 hours, then took the ‘weekend’ (Sun/Mon) and ate TMAD. Didn’t go overboard, stayed in macros kinda. But back up to 207.7 this morning. Bummer. 12 hours into the next 42, and will see where I’m at after Fung’s week rotation of this. I’ll fast today, Thurs & Sat, 42 hr stretches, and see where I am on Sunday morning. OTOH, not feeling well this morning. Feels like everything I ate yesterday is still in my stomach. ugh. I’m wanting a speedboat of a body, adaptable and quick to change. Instead, I’m steering the Titanic.

(KCKO, KCFO) #147

Make sure you are keeping your electrolytes fully stocked. It will help with the coldness and any other discomforts from the longer fasting window. You need much more sodium while fasting to help keep things in balance.

Good luck with the next 42 hr. fasting.

(Bob M) #148

OK, I had to quit yesterday. I had multiple servings of “fasting drops” (salt, potassium, Mg), and those did not help. I thought I was going to make it overnight, but I got so cold when I got home that I was physically shaking. I ate dinner while shaking. Dinner cured my coldness.

What I think is happening is if I do not get a high enough refeed in, my body gets super cold. Yesterday, my hands were ice cold before noon. That’s not a good sign. Now, I’m taking drugs (carvedilol, lisinopril) with cold extremities listed as possible side effects, but I’ve been taking these for 7+ years and the cold feeling I get when fasting seems to come and go. Sometimes I have it early, as I did last time, and sometimes it does not come on until much later. I theorize that it’s the amount of work I’m doing over the weekend that’s causing me to have a rough time on Mondays lately. I can’t eat enough to make up for the calorie deficit.

I’ll give it another go on Wednesday. We’ll see what happens.

(back and doublin' down) #149

That’s an HBP med, correct? When I fast, I notice my blood pressure drops. Maybe with the med it’s dropping too much? Is your PCP a keto/fasting supportive one that you could talk through this with? Mine recommended stopping the blood pressure med when fasting.

@collaroygal You may have made a very accurate observation. Brought salt with me to work today. At 17hours fasted and already feeling better. Maybe during my eating days, I didn’t drink enough water. I supplement with a pharmaceutical grade of potassium at my PCP’s request, and use Calm at night for both sleep and magnesium benefits. Salt is still scary, but trying to incorporate more.

(Failed) #150

Hubby & I have just committed to each other to fast from tonight (Tuesday at 6 pm) to Thursday at noon. 42 hours.

Then another EF from Friday around 7 pm to Monday noon. 65 hours.

If we can’t make it to Monday, we will break fast Sunday evening at 46 hours.

Nice that you’re doing that together! Good luck to both of you!

(Susan) #152

Awesome =). I was down a pound this morning doing this protocol of Feasting/Fasting and really happy as well =).

(Susan) #153

That is awesome, Dee, best wishes and I think it is great that you are doing it together as well =).

(back and doublin' down) #154

That’s encouraging news! I’m thinking my jump in weight over feasting days was due to Keto desserts. Back down to 204.something this morning.

I made it 27 hours. Several things tripped me up last night. Ate late, still very keto. Will eat today, stay with clean and fatty foods. Start another 42 tonight at 7.

(Justin Jordan) #155

I’ve been fasting three (non consecutive) days a week, but I am trying something new for me.

So I fasted yesterday and will again today. So, 2 days.

I’ll eat tomorrow and Friday, maybe Saturday, then Sunday (I have a scheduled lunch) and then next week try for 3 days, then eat, then the next week try for 4.

Which will roll me into December, but the idea is to build up to a 5 day fast after Thanksgiving (not immediately after - I’'ll start the Saturday after)

Mostly to see if I can really improve my insulin sensitivity.

(Bob M) #156

Justin, it should help your insulin sensitivity.

Hmm…Today, I’m not nearly as cold as I was on Monday. On Monday, my hands at this time (about 11am) were so cold, I couldn’t touch them. That’s not the same today. This is why I think getting cold is primarily a feeding (or “feasting”) issue. I had OMAD on Monday, then ate two meals yesterday, and seem to have recovered. And even though I exercised yesterday, I’ve recovered from my weekend projects.

Good luck to all fasting this week.

I take it easy, no decisions…
25 hours in, I start to cook now. Will I eat today? I have no idea, I am very satiated now as I should but it often changes during the evening hours. I’m more satiated than a day ago but I am like that, eating sometimes make me less satiated for a while.
I probably will eat but only if I will be hungry. Or experience temptation, I’m me and not very determined today. I still will be over 26 hours.

There was some talking in the carnivore topic I totally frequent despite me being an almost vegetarian (but it’s subject to change) and according to some definition, I never fasted. I do it willingly sometimes but usually it just happens and anyway, if I’m hungry, I eat. So I don’t know what is fasting anymore… Even if we accept some definition, it’s sometimes fuzzy in my case, like today. But if I willingly do it, it seems fasting. I still don’t know if I actually did IF when I had a small eating window but it came naturally.

(KCKO, KCFO) #158

I like Jason Fung’s definition “If you are not eating you are fasting, if you are eating you are feasting.”

(back and doublin' down) #159

fasting dogma?

Love the simple outlooks. SO much easier to follow.

@Momof5 going to start another 42 hr fast tonight after dinner. Is this the schedule you are on? I think I may need more support tomorrow night so I make it the whole 42 before the weekend. And, had I signed on last night, scrolled through threads and distracted myself…but, I didn’t. The Proverbial “why do I do what I don’t want to do, and don’t do what I really want to do?”

As it is with most things, everyone seems to have their own definition (or opinion) of things, including Fasting. (whether they are right or wrong) :smirk: … I do like the thought process that @collaroygal posted, about Fung’s interpretation. Being that Fasting is simply when you’re not eating, and Feasting when you are, because basically this is true when you think about it. … It’s just the time-frame in which each is being done and how you see it best fits your needs/desires. So this is simplistic thinking…

So I wouldn’t put too much thought in what someone ‘thinks’ unless there is definitive proof of definition on that particular subject matter. … But as far as defining, say IF versus EF. Again, folks will have their own interpretation of this too, and I know I’ve posted mine before and how I see it. - So basically, for me I “personally” see IF as being the time-frame between meals, whether I’m doing an OMAD, TMAD, etc. I don’t personally consider myself doing EF until I go beyond that 24 hrs. threshold. (just my opinion) - So anything under 24 hrs, I consider IF. And anytime beyond 24 hrs. is when I see it as EF. :slight_smile: