November 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Running from stupidity) #385

Most interested in how this works for you, indeed.

Yeah the timing doesnā€™t quite work out (i.e. ate at 12pm today, Iā€™d next eat at midnight tomorrow?) but I will work something out along those lines. 6am, 6pm could work and then occasionally break it up with a lunch.

OK, so Iā€™m fasting again since 12pm today through all of tomorrow, then will try this latest experiment on Thursday morning with a lovely large breakfast. Iā€™ll then fast 36 hours through to Friday evening and have a big dinner.

Iā€™m aiming to keep fasts around 24-36 hours now except for occasionally shaking it up with a second (or even third) meal. Iā€™ll follow this pattern for the next few weeks, measure blood glucose more regularly each day, and wonā€™t fast beyond 36 hours.

Hey, all - Iā€™m at 60 hours for my Nov fast. Twice I year Iā€™ll do (or aim for) 7 days, but the other monthly fasts are just 3-5 days. Three days would take me to tonight, but Iā€™m working late anyway so I think Iā€™ll get to at least 4 days this time.
Salt!!! I had salty tea last night before bed (which was actually delicious) and then put a pinch of salt under my tongue when I went to bed, and for maybe the first time ever during a fast, I slept beautifully. :grin: Very happy about that, since rough sleep has been my main challenge with fasting.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #389

Starting Day 5 today. Iā€™ve wanted to quit a couple of times, but Iā€™m so far in at this point that it would be pointless to start over in a couple of days. I did go for a short walk yesterday (in the dark and cold!) followed by a hot bath when I was feeling stressed out. That did the trick! My blood ketones are 1.4 so I know Iā€™m burning fat for energy. As long as I feel fine there is no reason to quit.

(Bob M) #390

You know, Dr. Fung says if you make it through days 2 and 3, you should easily be able to go 7 days. I have not found that to be true, though. One time I made it to about 4 days and got so freaking hungry, and suddenly, that it was all I could do to make it until 4.5 days.

Iā€™m on day 3, as is my wife. Iā€™m drinking pickle juice at night for the salt, along with taking in salt and potassium, and using magnesium oil. Iā€™m also taking iodine. This might be making me less cold, though last night I slept with a long, heavy shirt on, which is unheard of.

(KCKO, KCFO) #391

That is my experience too, I am fine on days 2/3, but starting the 4th day always ends in me caving and eating something. I am not sure if it has anything to me starting my fasting protocols when I was within 20 lbs. of my goal weight or not. But once I made it past 4.5, I was at goal and I canā€™t even do 100 hrs. without some added fats. I used Richardā€™s calculator so I knew I had the stores to tough it out. But I just canā€™t do longer fasting now, under 90ish hrs. Iā€™m fine.

(Allie) #393

Drinking it is likely to make you throw up, itā€™s an old method of inducing vomiting. Shouldnā€™t be an issue if only using tiny amounts though. I actually like salt in coffee now.

I donā€™t find a difference between drinking (a little bit) and putting in under my tongue, but I think I saw a discussion on here recently (last day or so) about this.

(Running from stupidity) #396

Lots of people say day two is the hard one, but for me day one is the difficult one. [wanders off muttering about n=1 or something]

(Allie) #397

Go with it if it works for you, no need to change.

Hi, everyone!
Iā€™m at 65 hours. All good so I really have nothing to update. I just like checking in :slight_smile:

(Laurie) #399

Iā€™m doing 44-hour fasts, e.g., I stop eating at 10 pm Wednesday, resume eating at 6 pm Friday. I exercise in the afternoon, so during Thursday exercise I feel normal, because itā€™s before my regular eating time and my body doesnā€™t yet know Iā€™m fasting. On Friday afternoon I still feel fine in general, but when I do challenging exercises I find Iā€™m not really 100%.

Iā€™ve reorganized my exercise schedule so Iā€™m doing lighter exercises and shorter sessions on the second day (Friday). This should work better!

(Bob M) #400

I think all the days are hard. :hushed: Iā€™m on day 3 and thinking to myself, ā€œWhat am I doing?ā€

Itā€™s also a mental thing. If you mentally give up, youā€™re done, regardless of whether your body could go longer.

Iā€™m personally trying to stretch to 4.5 days for the autophagy (assuming it takes that long ā€“ I keep reading different periods before it kicks in).

Laurie, 3+ years ago, I could workout a few times a week while fasting 4.5-5.5 days. I canā€™t do that any longer. I do like to workout after about 36 hours or so (say, eat Sunday, workout Tuesday morning), but if Iā€™m fasting longer than that, I no longer work out. If you can workout at all while fasting that long, thatā€™s pretty good.

(Justin Jordan) #401

Thatā€™s been the case for me too, actually. So ADF ends up being relatively difficult

At 72 hrs. and heading down to the basement to work out for a while. :slight_smile: Just been trying to stay busy during this weeks Fast. :slight_smile:

Fasting until Friday morning. So far Iā€™m 68 hours in. This is my second time fasting since being a keto :rofl: It definitely is much easier this time than last!

Iā€™m nearing the 30th hour of a 48-hour fast. But when I wake up tomorrow around 40+ hours I am planning on a cup of coffee with 1tbls of HWC followed by a long dog-walk of 6+ miles. Want to see how extended walks do on an extended fast. I walked 3.5 miles today with no ill effects.

I was going to make this a 72-96 hour fast but just learned weā€™re having kin overnight Friday and it wouldnā€™t work out.

So after this 48 Iā€™ll just try to sneak in a 20-22 in there somewhere.

Thereā€™s always next week for another EF. And thereā€™s going to be a lot of them between now and Christmas Week.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #405

Iā€™ve been listening to The Complete Guide to Fasting (again). He says all kinds of things about hunger disappearing after Day 1 or Day 2. SO not true for me :tired_face:. Iā€™ve been hungry every day of this fast (off and on, so the thing about hunger coming in waves is true). Iā€™m in ketosis. I have fat to burn. Iā€™m not feeling that bad. So thatā€™s whatā€™s keeping me going. No magical elimination of hunger.

Same.

Yeahā€¦sigh. I have to constantly remind myself of ā€œWhat am I doing?ā€ GOALā€¦I have a goalā€¦I am achieving my goalā€¦thatā€™s it. I can sulk all I want, but thatā€™s it :joy:

Starting Day 6 today. Definitely winding it down today with broth. Same again tomorrow.

(Alex ) #406

Had a decent week so far with my evening OMADs, not feeling too bad at all actually bar one ā€œhangry experienceā€ earlier this week when Iā€™d worked out, was really cold and then my dad decided to write off the kitchen for a few hours meaning my eating was delayed, I got really narky really quickly!

Scales seem to staying put around the 238/240 mark (220 is goal), but after tonightā€™s steak/pork dinner itā€™s my 36 hour fast through till Saturday! So I will be eating big tonight, loads of butter, loads of mayo loads of coconut oil.

Then itā€™s December!

have to say, generally, the longer I go, the more bouncy I seem to be feelingā€¦