Not such a thinly veiled attack on meat eaters: 12% of population consuming half of all the daily beef consumption in US

food

Here we go again.

We are being singled out as one of the main causes of climate change, again.
And the shots are being fired from the usual navel gazing veganist self haters.

High steaks society: who are the 12% of people consuming half of all beef in the US? (msn.com)

And I quote (From the Guardian article):

Who is this 12% consuming all that beef?

Men and people between the ages of 50 and 65 were more likely to be in what the researchers dubbed as ā€œdisproportionate beef eatersā€, defined as those who, based on a recommended daily 2,200 calorie-diet, eat more than four ounces ā€“ the rough equivalent of more than one hamburger ā€“ daily. The study analyzed one-day dietary snapshots from over 10,000 US adults over a four-year period.

White people were among those more likely to eat more beef, compared with other racial and ethnic groups like Black and Asian Americans. Older adults, college graduates, and those who looked up MyPlate, the US Department of Agricultureā€™s (USDA) online nutritional educational campaign, were far less likely to consume a disproportionate amount of beef.

The USDA recommends eating no more than 4oz (113 grams) of all meat, poultry and egg products. On average, teenage boys consume more meat, poultry and eggs than is recommended by these guidelines, and for adult men, the distance from the recommendations is even greater, the study reveals.

(KM) #3

My bottom line is that any article that spouts on and on and on about the horrors of cattle raising and doesnā€™t even mention small and alternative farming methods that are actually better for the environment than monocropping plants doesnā€™t really care about The Earth, itā€™s a quasi-religious, anti-science preach. Plants are better! Because ā€¦ because ā€¦ um ā€¦ because they crave electrolytes! (thank you, Idiocracy movie electrolytes)

:rofl::joy::rofl:
Sure, it will happen to me :smiley: I ate WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more when I was a vegetarian. Multiple times of that. As I should have if you ask me. I have no problem with a more typical vegetarian diet if that suits someone but I probably would have faced problems without my very high animal protein and animal fat intake in my long vegetarian or close to vegetarian times.
My carb-lover SO is asleep but he woke up and said itā€™s way too easy to go over that numberā€¦ And he is right. Itā€™s minuscule. My aim is about 800g from these (much more from meat than eggs as I need to lose fat and donā€™t overeat protein and fat).

The results donā€™t surprise me. College students arenā€™t rich enough to eat beef galore (not like the pitiful 4 oz is galore :smiley: but still pricy for many I guess. I admit I know nothing about US college students but itā€™s a stereotype that probably has much to do with realityā€¦?)

And anyway, of course we get such things regarding most not totally basic things. A smaller percentage eat half of it. Different taste, financial situation, readiness to follow dietary guidelinesā€¦ Beef is somewhat expensive and it has easily accessible ā€œalternativesā€ (I mean, they arenā€™t like beef but still protein and possibly even meatā€¦) so no wonder masses choose something else most of the time.

Correct me if I am wrong due to living in Europe and knowing only what I got from videos, articles and comments about the USā€¦

Remember; itā€™s from th Guardianā€¦they donā€™t even attempt to hide their nefarious agenda, lol.

(KM) #6

The whole thing is basically predicating one poor data point on another. The USDAā€™s guidelines for what we should eat, 4 oz of saturated-fat-containing protein or less, is a joke, a ridiculous random number based on unfounded fear of dietary cholesterol. Then an article likes this draws on that and say we shouldnā€™t eat much beef, because it violates the USDA guidelines. Then the USDA guidelines apparently turn to this sort of article and say see, a portion of the US is eating too much beef, is says so right here. At which point another article comes out and says see, the USDA says weā€™re eating too much beef. And so on.

Take it with a grain of salt. The article has comments deactivated with already 47 thumbs-down and only 6 thumbs up. People arenā€™t stupid.
However, this narrative remains a tactic, similar to repeating the health benefits of a low-fat, high-carb diet. The saturated-fat myth is losing ground, and they need something to replace it.

(KM) #8

Unfortunately I donā€™t think itā€™s being replaced, itā€™s just being glossed over. Cholesterol angle is downplayed because itā€™s passe, but the suggestion that beef and eggs are inherently bad foods is highlighted because, trumpets please, the USDA says so, when in reality the whole point of the USDA recommendation of 4 oz IS the cholesterol content in the first place, not that chickens and cows are either demon spawn or deities in disguise.

Sigh. But thatā€™s such an old mythā€¦ (At least to me. I am very impatient about stopping the wrong accusation where my beloved eggs are targeted. One of my main 2 food groups, for reason as they are so nutritious and great. Eggs are in their own group in my world as they donā€™t fit elsewhere.) And itā€™s still everywhere :frowning:

Those people deserve to force-fed 4 oz pork brain or somethingā€¦

(KM) #10

:rofl:

(Geoffrey) #11

Proud member of the 12% club right here.
:fist:t2::cut_of_meat:šŸ§ˆ:bacon::egg::fist:t2: 12%ā€™ers unite! :rofl::rofl::grin:

I sh*t you not bro; I need meat.

Otherwise I will be T2 diabetic (Iā€™m not anymore, reversed) and all the not so lovely conditions that follow that.

Articles like these make me angryā€¦and I am not a naturally angry person.

Why do the rags not publish the true data on T2?
Frustrating.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

And thatā€™s a good thing, because otherwise their growth would be stunted.

I knew it was you!

Not necessarily but it definitely makes things way easier!
I am curious and researched some but it would be a very brave thing to try to get my nutrients from mostly plants! But if the average family stopped giving enough meat and eggs to their growing kids (or to anyone, really), I really wouldnā€™t be very hopeful that the diet is right. As the average family donā€™t have enough knowledge or motivation to get itā€¦ An individual may pull it off but it is still a pain if someone has tastes like Iā€¦ I loved plants and ate them galore but I instinctively and hedonistically ate plenty of animal food too.
Itā€™s just not good if they try to cut off almost all pretty decent, nutritious, complete protein food from peopleā€™s diet. It will be harder to eat right then and as I wrote, the average people just wonā€™t put in the necessarily research and whatnot. And if they do, they still may not like their food as much as they couldā€¦
I am empathetic and I have my strong ties with animal food as I had that even as a vegetarian so itā€™s quite uncomfortable for me to think about people who tries to follow such strict and misguided guidelines. You take away meat from people, they probably will eat more processed stuff and sugarā€¦ People wonā€™t go and find and eat the next best thing. (I donā€™t even know what would be my next best thing. I thought it over a few times and I need meat for a really good diet.)

Itā€™s not that serious for me but many of us canā€™t simply eat something else and be just fine. I need red meat, even. Chicken doesnā€™t satiate me and I donā€™t like or canā€™t afford fish (but itā€™s probably not substantial for me either. Never ate 600g fatty fish at once to figure it out). And without all meat my diet is just too carby. Maybe not if I eat 100g gluten a day (or some protein powder) but somehow I donā€™t want to do thatā€¦ It probably wouldnā€™t do good to my nutrients either.
So itā€™s one thing I consider meat very good food but I donā€™t feel I have a choice if I want to keep my current quality of life, at least the part related to foodā€¦

I often feel that people think we all can just use other protein sources, no problem. Yes, it is a problem for many of us. Itā€™s not at all about our tastes. I love seitan and legumes too. But they arenā€™t as good as meat nutrition wise.
High-carbers probably have more options. We who function best with really low-carb (ketosis never was enough for me) canā€™t just eat plants instead. And I can eat eggs but I stop at 10-12 and dairy better has some serious limit tooā€¦
If someone like me forces themselves into some weird rules, it doesnā€™t end well. That is an important point I am sure. Even if something is right in general, it may be a bad idea for an individual. But I still donā€™t understand the hate towards meat and cholesterolā€¦ I am afraid I never will. (No, I am not really afraid.)

By the way, I listened to the radio today, it has a cooking show every Saturday. The dish was T-bone in the oven, fully immersed in Mangalica lard :rofl: Itā€™s actually something I wouldnā€™t do (it must be messy. I never deep fry or I suppose ā€œdeep roastā€ anything) but it was so not in alignment with official dietary guidelines and I liked that :smiley:

(Geoffrey) #16

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Ohio ) #17

If I eat 100% red meat for a month, I guarantee most people on the SAD still eat more red meat than me. Thereā€™s scale here my fat adapted friends.

Minimalism and keto go hand and hand.

OK.

So men arenā€™t ā€˜people?ā€™

Who writes this nonsense. (rhetorical question.)