Not so much Fell Off but Parked Up for Festive Season

(Dale Holden) #1

HI Guys
Went on Keto on 2 Sept 2018 and have dropped 36 lbs with a lazy Keto.
I must be lucky as I love it and never have any issues with flu.
I got fully fat adapted and even started IF with 2 meals a day.
But this Xmas we decided to lower the drawbridge to the enemy Carb army.
So it was deliberate and I am not getting all upset or self critical about it.
On 30 Dec going straight back to Keto 100% so I have had 9 days off Keto.
I have not been stupid and gained about 3kg which i expected.

My questions are how long does it take to get back in Keto normally?
Will it take me 6 to 12 weeks to get Fat Adapted again?
For the next 5 months I am going to do IF 1 meal a day.
Also if i get on a plateau i might try 3 day fast if I can mentally prepare myself.
Cheers for all the hep in these forums and Happy New Year to you all.
Thorrrr

(Laurie) #2

I’m afraid I can’t answer your questions. It seems that you’ve already made your decisions and have a plan in place. I wish you luck!

(John) #3

I am in the same fight. my wife and i went off for the hollidays and will be fasting for 24 hrs on the 2nd. not the first cause fasting after a long night would be rough. We plan on our last carbs to be new years eve. We plan on eating keto on the 1st and starting a fast the next afternoon. Might even do some cardio on fast night to try to speed up the sugar burn

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Since you likely became fat-adapted quite some time before nine days ago, it is also likely that you may return to ketosis fairly quickly. Dr. Phinney says it takes just as long as the first time, but I suspect that’s after a much longer lapse, and possibly without fasting, either.

In any case, get back on the horse as soon as you can, and let this just be a blip on the radar.

(Mother of Puppies ) #5

For me, about three days, with Keto and IF

Fast adaptation is a cellular process- up regulating and down regulating receptors and enzymes that handle the processing of nutrients. This occurs over a few months and is not “lost” or reversed by short term changes in diet.

Eating carbs doesn’t necessarily take me out of ketosis, it depends on what and how much I ate, and the level of initial ketosis. Here’s my example. On Christmas Eve, I consumed 1/4 a cheesecake and 1/4 a key lime pie. My GKI doubled (2.3 to 4.5). On Christmas, I did the same thing. My GKI rose to 10. The day after Christmas, I began fasting, my GKI dropped down to 4.8. On the second day of fasting it was 2.5 which is typically the range I try to maintain most of the time. People who are more insulin sensitive respond more rapidly. My dad ate similarly, but his GKI never rose above 5.

(Jane) #7

Fasting is 90% mental and there are several fasting threads you can post on for support.

As far as getting back into keto did - couple of days max. Like others have said you don’t reverse fat adaptation overnight so you should be fine to start IF’ing again.