Not losing for the past +30 days

(Amira ) #1

Hello, this is my 232 day on keto - I lost only 18 kg! for the past 60 days, 2 kg lost - for the past 30 days +/- 300g!!
I’ve been doing IF for 24H, 18H, 16,21H…etc. not the same hoursss every day. eating only 1 meal as follows:
10g butter on coffee during the day (3 cups - total 10g butter)

dinner Tuna salad

• 1 can of 150g tuna (drained of oil)
  • 1 tomato - small to medium
  • 1 onion - small to medium
  • 1 cucumber (skipped it couple of times) small
  • 2 tbsp of mayo
  • 2 tsp of mustart
  • 1:2 tbsp of white vinger
  • 4:5 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 a head of iceberg (small to medium) OR a cup of shredded red cabbage.

sometimes i eat 100:200 seeds of sunflowe unsaled OR a couple of roasted almonds.

I use cab manager app - never went above my 18g carbs max. always keeping +75%: 80 fat : 19% protien & 4% to less carbs.

any idea what’s wrong?!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Fat loss is not linear, and there are often periods when it slows, or our weight even goes up. A complicating factor is that people who have restricted their calories in the past often find on a ketogenic diet that they add muscle and bone mass, even while losing fat, and this of course confuses things if your only metric is your scale weight. How are your clothes fitting, these days? If they are looser than they were, then you are doing things right. And if they keep getting looser, then you are definitely making progress, regardless of what your scale is telling you.

Another factor is that fat loss slows down as we approach our ideal weight. The stories of spectacular fat loss are from people who had a great deal to lose. Even those people, once they began to approach a healthier weight, found their rate of fat loss slowing.

Another possible issue is that our notion of what is an ideal weight is not necessarily in agreement with our body’s notion. I’d be very happy with losing another sixty to eighty pounds, but since my primary goal was to reverse my diabetes—which has totally happened—I don’t actually care that I’m not as thin as I was forty years ago, especially since I lost enough weight to be able to climb stairs, etc., without pain and struggle. It’s all a question of what we are trying to achieve.

If fat loss is your primary goal, first consider whether your apparent slowdown might be the effect of adding lean mass. That is not a bad thing. On the other hand, if you really feel you need to lose more fat, first take a look at how much carbohydrate you are really eating. Double-check your food labels to make sure they haven’t changed the product formula, that sort of thing. Be brutally honest about how much vegetables you are getting, and so forth. Also make sure you are eating enough, because if you are restricting your calories, you might be putting your metabolism in famine mode. The way to be sure you are getting enough is to eat to satiety: in other words, eat only when hungry, stop eating when no longer hungry, and don’t eat again until hungry again. Most people who eat this way find themselves naturally limiting their eating to one or two meals a day, because they simply aren’t hungry, and this pattern of eating has the added benefit of prolonging the amount of time during the day that their insulin level is low. A high insulin level is the way the body tells itself to store fat, so keeping insulin low for as much of the day as possible is an important part of this way of eating. It’s also why fat is an important part of a well-formulated ketogenic diet: fat is the one food source that barely triggers an insulin response, so it is a safe source of calories.

Are you getting enough protein? Your protein needs should be based on your lean body mass, not on your caloric intake.

And the fat macro isn’t a goal that needs to be reached. Ideally, fats should be a lever for satiety. If a diet leaves you constantly hungry, it’s not going to be sustainable. And if you eating when you’re not hungry, you’re probably not going to be losing a lot of weight.

The problem with using a percentage goal on fats is that it can’t account for how much of your fat needs can be satisfied with stored body fat.

(Amira ) #6

I’ve tried changing meals timing - eating less than 1000 cal. Keto calculator says I need to have 1560 cal/day - sometimes i reach it and many others i each less.
But keeping my marcos as needed 19:24 % protien - 75:80% fat then comes 5% carbs.

I don’t know what is wrong - should i eat more? should i refeed for a day/meal or more days to make it move? I really have no clue!!

(Amira ) #7

i’ve measured everything from the beginning till now - always keeping the % of protien to fats to carbs - never cheated- few times with more protien or more fats. never more carbs than 18g:20g.
Really don’t know what else should i do - i take nescafe with a small butter (10g split onto 3 pieces) 3 mugs of this in total during the morning - no appeitete - not hungry.
then when i’m back how like on 6pm or later, I eat that meal i mentioned. Rarely do i eat some almonds or sunflower seeds or peanuts after that meal - still i add it to my intake on carb manager.

Look at your app, I haven’t used carb manager in a while but you should be able to see your AVERAGE intakes. What are you overall averaging for Calories, Carbs, Fat and Protein? What are your stats and what are you getting in for physical activity? What is activity level outside of any exercise?

NEVER eat that low of calories for longer than a couple days. You’re asking for metabolic trouble. Screw going by percentages, that leave so much wiggle room it’s stupid. I’d also completely dump the fasting. For many it just speeds up metabolic slowdown. We’re told it doesn’t, but WAY too many people that constantly do it run into the wall as you (and me) and countless others have. The more details the better.

I second all of this 1000x over!

What works for some doesn’t work for all. I lost a bulk of my 100lbs doing the typically loading fat onto everything, never counting anything, fasting, OMAD, more salt being the answer to everything. The only thing I got from that was a very descent metabolic slowdown (confirmed with RMR testing) and a VERY long road to rebuild, along with a ton of muscle loss WHILE still working out a LOT! I’ve very much changed the way I do this and results have been positive ever since. Still working on getting the metabolism back up though. That’s the hardest part!

(Jane Srygley) #9

My guess is that your body has slowed down because you weren’t feeding it enough for a long time. Your calories are crazy low, in my opinion. I highly suggest you eat more. OMAD is fine but one of the dangers is not getting enough to eat at that one meal. Good luck! :heart:

“As needed” would be in grams, NOT percentages.

As I explained earlier, percentages can’t express the correct context of what you need to eat, because protein needs should be based on lean body mass and fat needs can be partly satisfied with stored body fat.

You don’t want to be under your proteins needs consistently, or the body will get it from where it can, which typically means breaking down muscle tissue.

The proteins macro is a lower limit, while the carbs and fats are upper limits.

(Bunny) #11

What I’m going to describe here may not apply to you but if you are eating anything or taking any supplement with artificial man made folic acid (like a vitamin pill or foods fortified with it) that could make you stall or plateau (you stop burning body fat) on a ketogenic diet and I don’t think it just applies to people with MTHFR]1].

This man-made stuff (“fortified” w/folic acid) DOES NOT OCCUR IN NATURE[3]?

Since fortification begin (grains-breads-cereals-pasta?) in the 1990’s It seems people have gotten fatter?

This poor women below simply became aware of this folate-folic acid and her MTHFR issue and lost weight and I don’t think she is a ketogenic dieter?

image link

References:

[1] Excess Folic Acid Increases Lipid Storage, Weight Gain, and Adipose Tissue Inflammation in High Fat Diet-Fed Rats

[2] “…Most lab tests do not distinguish between folic acid and folate when measuring blood levels. If folic acid intake is high, the results may show an individual has adequate amounts of folate. This is misleading as the individual actually has high levels of unusable folic acid, with little to no folate. This situation can cause the body to believe it is malnourished and result in unnecessary storing of energy (weight gain). …” …More

[3] “…Again, folic acid is found no where in nature and can accumulate in toxic levels in those with impaired methylation and/or MTHFR…” …More

[4] New study: Can a keto diet result in birth defects?

(Amira ) #12

I’m doing IF without coscience - its not that I would intend it - don’t feeling hungry and when I feel hungry I fear over eating :’( I was 119.9 when i started Keto on Aug 19 and now I’m 101 -/+1 or 2 kg. Ididn’t even get below 100 yet. feeeling sooo down though.
Any suggestions on eating more? should I eat 3 times without counting anything? before Keto I wasn’t actually eating.

(Amira ) #13

I am taking multivitamins , biotin due to too much hair loss/fall, and magnesium. are these wrong now? what should I take or avoid? I usually have dizziness, low pressure - before keto and very much less with keto during these 7 months.

(Bunny) #14

Hair loss (experienced that too) but I have lots of hair that curls naturally and so much of it you cannot really tell but the hair falling out thing is temporary…lol

Hair is really messy after sleeping and playing with webcam, people think I wear a wig but I don’t, the stuff just grows like crazy…lol

I take organic sulfur (white stuff in a bag not pills because they have preservatives) or bone broth with natural gelatin (incl. hooves, beaks and feet w/nails not just bone…very important) with chili peppers (more vitamin C than fruit), Vitamin C binds keratin to collagen, that is what works for me, no man made substances. That what makes my hair really shiny and better than before doing keto but you have be consistent with it.

I stay away from man made vitamins and get vitamins from leafy greens, veggies, wheat grass powder, brewers yeast, nutritional yeast NON-UN-FORTIFIED and take little tiny bit of resistant starch (creates ketones in the gut) consistently to keep the intestinal bacteria fed so I don’t feel ill doing keto or carnivore.

I also take experimental carbon 60 olive oil which makes my hair and nails grow rapidlly! I take only tiny bit of this stuff because the more you take you have to keep taking that amount.

(Amira ) #15

That’s very impressive - best of luck with these. My problem is that i don’t have bone broth I can’t :smiley: its too much for me - the least i can take is chicken broth nothing more where i have it every now and then. I’m now having salad every day which was not the case before the last 2 weeks. I never ever ate onions - I’m now using a small one in the salad of tuna :smiley:
i’ll try more to get natural vitamins as possible as I’m convinced this is the correct way to have them but as possible seems not enough currently. Thank you very much for sharing your routine :slight_smile:

(Jane Srygley) #16

Why do you want to be so tiny?

ETA: Oh LOL nevermind I was thinking in pounds!!! I can relate… I have had enormous difficulty getting under 200 lbs or around 100 kg :heart:

(Amira ) #17

you made me laugh on seeing “tiny” :smiley: - its 220 lb i think so still a long way to go even to get to 90kg would be a great acheivement to me.

(Jane Srygley) #18

For me as well! I haven’t weighed under 200 lbs since I was 19 years old (I’m 57). I haven’t weighed under 200 consistently since high school!

(Amira ) #19

Best wishes to all of us. we just need to remember what really matter to us not the figure on the scale but the quality of our body and health.

I have read that if you eat too little during your window, then the body goes into starvation mode and metabolism slows down, which is not good for weight loss. The most weight loss is achieved when you eat sufficient calories during the window so the body doesnt switch to starvation. ( This is why IF works for those who are not on keto too.) A salad with some tuna does not contain enough calories for your body to believe there is not a starvation crisis going on. So basically in order to lose weight during IF, you should eat a LOT during your eating window. More is better!
Also- in IF - I would skip the butter in between meals. I think butter, like HWC; night contains some carbs. I think it possibly breaks the fast.
But maybe try eating more during your eating window first so your body continues with a higher metabolic rate instead of slowing down.

(Amira ) #21

I believe in what you have said but in real life I eat to fully this one meal , some days now during lockdown i eat some boiled eggs and cheese in the afternoon then the main meal at 6 or 7 pm. my main problem these days is getting board of all the food allowed. no appetite to protien and hence i eat almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts - counted on carb manager but just to say i ate. losing appetite is a real problem these days.
Thanks for your comment.