Not hungry

(Anna Hermsdorfer) #1

I started 18/6 IF last week and have experienced an extremely reduced appetite, to the point that I may only eat once in my 6 hour window and het maybe 800-900 calories. Should I be worried that I’m not eating enough, or just assume that I’m getting what I need from my own fat stores? TIA.

(Carpe salata!) #2

Try to keep your protein macro. If protein is low for too long, you risk losing lean body mass. Otherwise it sounds fine to me.

(Anna Hermsdorfer) #3

Thank you! I will definitely watch my protein.

(Khara) #4

Ya. Just keep an eye on how you’re feeling. A year ago my appetite reduced quite a bit. I didn’t know anything about fasting at the time. I just thought well I’m not hungry because I’m using my fat stores. Over a couple weeks my appetite just kept getting less and less. I wasn’t fasting and I wasn’t thinking about electrolytes, I was just hypocaloric. Then I had my monthly cycle and I actually ended up slightly anemic. It was noticeable that something was wrong. Very low energy and sick feeling. Intentionally getting a good amount of protein in snapped me out of it. So just pay attention to how you’re feeling. Otherwise, I now intermittent fast daily and my calorie amounts do fluctuate quite a bit with some low days and some high days and I figure that’s fine as long as I feel good.

(Anna Hermsdorfer) #5

I guess I might have spoken prematurely? Appetite came roaring back today. Made sure I got plenty of protein and electrolytes. Thanks for the feedback!

(Khara) #6

:+1:t3: Ya. I think it’s just normal (for some of us) to have a constant up and down with appetite. I just roll with it. This is my August ups and downs for calories.

(Carpe salata!) #7

Just wondering if your protein is a more stable component under that… if it’s not handy don’t worry. :slight_smile:

(Khara) #8

Actually doesn’t look to be anything stable about any of my macros! See below. August 26 has to be disregarded. Lunch was accurately logged but then I went to a wedding and ate whatever. I didn’t attempt to log and just entered 100 grams of carbs as a reminder. August was my first month back on Keto after 5 months or so off of it. So maybe my macros will stabilize as time goes by although this feels very similar to how I ate previously on Keto.