Not Chaffle Chaffle

(back and doublin' down) #1

Not patiently waiting on my mini dash, and engrossed in Chaffle recipes, the descriptions crispy crust reminded me of the cheese crisps I make in the microwave in a simple silicon pan.

So I started with the cheese, about 10g of shredded cheese each & microwaved two minutes. (small microwave). This was to start a crispy crust on the bottom that the egg could bake on top of.

Then the egg layer (2eggs) & more cheese as in a chaffle. Topped with Everything but the Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s.

Baked about 30 min at 350’ F . Perfect slider size. Carb Manager calculated the six servings as 7g carbs total. Made for delicious sliders.

Voila, Thanksgiving brunch :slight_smile:

(Georgia) #2

Those look really good! I would eat them as is. Never thought about using them as “bread”, but (duh) that’s what chaffles are used for!

Thanks for posting. Now I need to get a silicone muffin pan.

(back and doublin' down) #3

Love mine! 10g of shredded cheese microwaved crisp up for an amazing keto friendly crunch!

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #4

Those look extra tasty! Thanks for posting!

(traci simpson) #5

AMAZING RECIPE! Gonna find those silicone thingies.

Oh, nice idea, thanks! My sandwich/waffle maker is an old sticky thing but I have a trusted silicone muffin mold :smiley:
I bake cheesy whipped egg whites in it as I always have leftover whites… That’s good too.
Egg and cheese, what could possibly go wrong? :smiley: I will definitely try this. I have some great aged Gouda now.

(back and doublin' down) #7

Yumm. I’ve been enjoying an aged cheddar with horseradish and smoked bacon.

I use that silicon pan the most to nuke shredded cheese into a crunchy cracker for tunafish or chicken salad.

My muffin mold is big, I use my silicon bread mold and if I make more cheese crackers, my silicon cake mold. I always do that with the hard outer parts of my cheese, they aren’t that great to eat normally but make really good crackers :slight_smile: I cut those parts into somewhat thin pieces, a not super hard single piece melts just fine, only the hardest ones keep their shape more or less but they become crackers too (unless my SO eats them first, half-ready, warm and soft, he prefers that state so timing is highly important for him as the cheese doesn’t stay like this for long).
I was quite elated when I heard about cheese crackers and when I realized I don’t need shredded cheese, things just got better.

(back and doublin' down) #9

An awesome idea! I don’t have cheese that lays long enough to get hard outer edges (or buying the wrong cheese). Will try thin slices. I buy shredded cheese sometimes but not nearly as happy with the quality. Shred my own more often.

I can’t find good shredded cheese either (except Grana Padano but I rarely use it) or it’s way more expensive than the block. I prefer the taste (and hardness) of Gouda (not super old but not young) or Masdaamer. The outer edge of my aged Gouda blocks are harder to begin with and we eat little cheese anyway. So it’s good to have a way to really enjoy the too hard parts. And I almost immediately figured out I don’t need to grate the cheese because I really dislike doing that, no matter what I grate but it’s really bad when it’s a hard material. I have a better type of grater but cleaning it is a nightmare… A knife and a few cuts? That’s almost nothing.

(back and doublin' down) #11

now I have a new cheese to look for when I’m next someplace with a wider selection. A bit geographically challenged here in the mountains.

If your taste is anything like mine, you will love it! It’s quite common here in Hungary and not very expensive though not cheap either, I buy it when it’s on sale, it’s below young Gouda price then and it’s similar but significantly tastier IMO (my SO likes Gouda just as much). Older Gouda is about as tasty to me but Masdaamer has a unique flavor I love and beautiful big holes and as soft as young Gouda.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

It’s called Masdaam in America. Kind of a Dutch take on Swiss Cheese.

I have some 60 month Gouda that I really love. Super hard and sharp, more even than Parmesan Reggiano. It is so strong it doesn’t take half as much as other cheeses to flavor an omelette. I had a price in my refrigerator and used it over 4 months. It never got any mold because it’s so dry and salty. I have a new piece now I haven’t opened yet. :cowboy_hat_face:

I entertain the idea of buying the oldest Gouda I can find (nothing like 60 months old though, I never saw such a thing) but it looks a bit too hard and it’s way more expensive than the quite perfect not young, not very old Gouda I like. So I don’t think it’s worth it for me but I surely will try it one day.
4 months… Wow.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

The lactic acid crystals are a sign of really aged cheese. They are flavor bombs and slightly crunchy. You can see them in really aged Parmesan Cheese too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Candy Lind) #16

I asked you once where you got this and what the brand name is, but lost the reference. I want to try to find some here. This is a huge jump-off from my current cheese purchases, but I’m a Gouda lover, so I’ll chance it.

EDIT: NEVER MIND, I found it! I’m going to brave the store some time this week to get a wedge. You just Store it in the fridge and it doesn’t get moldy since it’s so dry?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

Yeah, I just put it in a Rubbermaid container. For anyone else curios it’s

Artikaas 60 month old reserve Gouda. :cowboy_hat_face: