Normal, or abby-normal, pooping?

(Denise) #1

I seem to be having irregular “movements” and I miss the one-stop deposit and that’s it for the day :grimacing::flushed::disappointed_relieved:

I must be pretty close to being carnivore since I’ve read a little here on folks and their poop-schedules changing. Does this ever go back to some sort of “regular” routine or what? Should I be adding some sort of fiber since I guess my spinach and broccoli were good for something.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

It’s up to you, but as they say, “This, too, shall pass.” (Forgive the pun. :grin: )

Things will settle down eventually. I find that salt intake affects my bowel movements. Too little, and I get constipated, too much, and I get diarrhoea. But after I went full keto, my elimination schedule shifted from every day to every few days, and that is not affected by the salt. It makes sense; I am eating a lot less roughage, so there is much less waste.

My mother did her nursing training in the 1940’s, before commercial laxatives came on the market and the manufacturers started touting “regularity” as a way to sell their product. Mom was therefore very big on letting the body do its thing. It normally settles into a pattern, but that pattern can very well shift as our diet changes. It’s no big deal, in the long run. Of course, the adjustment period can be annoying.

So, if by “regular” you mean one bowel movement a day (and at a specific time, as some people want), forget it. But if by “regular” you mean a consistent pattern of bowel movements, whatever that may be, you can certainly expect that, eventually.

(Denise) #3

Yeah, the worst part about it is going to bed, just settling in with my book, and tummy starts telling “it’s time”. :woozy_face: but it’s good to know it will adjust, or I will I guess, LOL!!

Dogs on carnivore (raw) have totally different poops. They are small, white, dry and almost without scent. I was told that the fact that they are also fed bones accounts for the color.

That said, I am irregular on carnivore also. I usually only do carnivore for a week or two at a time.

@velvet: Didn’t know this about dog poop, thanks, it’s good to know things :smiley:

I definitely go less on carnivore, only once a day! (But each and every day, never skip one.) I am glad, actually. (My body isn’t a collector, the volume still drastically drops but no big log is formed. If there is only stuff for a little ball, it’s a little ball, no problem. I rarely am on the Bristol chart anyway, maybe that matters. I don’t care, I don’t have problems regarding these things so all is well.)

I hope it will pass soon, what a jerk is your tummy. Mine never does that and I had no idea I should be thankful for that… But now I am.

(Denise) #6

Hahaha, yes, my tummy is definitely a jerk disturbing me when I finally get to crawl into my bed at night :wink:

Maybe I should slow down on the red meat, but actually, it happens on the days I do my fish, and chicken as well. Haven’t been doing a lot of pork but I really like the little tenderloins I can find at Walmart for way good price.

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face, I just had somewhat of a confrontation with my MDs nurse who did not want to shut up long enough to hear what I was talking to her about. Another “know it all” but actually doesn’t realize she needs always be learning new things.

(KM) #7

I just started giggling because as I read your response it was like your avatar was the one speaking to me. :laughing:. Please thank her for her candor!

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #8

@kib1KM

I think it was the dog talking lol…

I had terrible pain and sleepless nights. Ketosis or losing weight or IF, something made me regular in sleep and poop.
Wake at same time, drink coffee, eat first meal. Poop

(Denise) #9

I’m doing better now so I think it’s beginning to shape up, not as good as the doggies, but chewing on a bone could help with my osteo :rofl:

(Denise) #10

I’m up at 3 a.m. with tummy ache :frowning: I’m not sure what IBS is but my tummy is feeling VERY irritable. I drank some ACV lastnight thinking that would work, but nothing. Not sure what to use, what to do. I can’t stand this too long, kept me awake off and on.

Any suggestions welcome?? I really don’t want to have to eat more spinach or brocolli, my faves. I tried listening to Dr. Berry but he’s just going on and on talking about poop, like he has a free ticket now to say the word, plus he just talks about having “poop” issues before he went on carnivore, I’m having them after I’ve been mostly meat/proteins. Hmm, maybe more fats?

Maybe my 7 oz piece of Pork Tenderloin was too much but I wasn’t feeling too full at all. Nothing else after 5:30 p.m. :grimacing: I’ll go see what else I can find online, but I’ll be around. I did go yesterday a.m. btw but it’s just not very much anymore and I guess that’s because my body is using all the protein, I hope that’s why and it isn’t “the dam needs to be broke up” :flushed::tired_face:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #11

Oh No, it’s horrible. I’ve been through this night after night. But that was pre Keto.
I don’t have much to offer but myself and my partner sleep better and poop better since using magnesium spray. We only bought it on reading table/powder etc are not easily digested via the stomach … I don’t know. But helped us.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Eating more carbs is not likely to help. If it really is irritable bowel, the reports of forum members suggest that ketones and lack of fibre really improved their symptoms.

The ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate is known for healing leaky gut by allowing the junctions between cells to close up again, so that’s part of it. Many people find carbohydrate to be irritating to the bowel, not soothing.

(Denise) #13

I’m better since about an hour after I wrote this. I finally even slept I think 2 more hours. Haven’t had a #2 but I think the ACV worked on the aching. After I drank that though, I ended up having my decaf concoction with turmeric, collagen, creamer and a teenie bit of stevia. Something worked anyway! Thanks for the feedback, this has happened before since so much meat being added into my diet, and no vegies now at all.

I won’t change anything for now and see if it levels out. I’m starting my day over now so we’ll see how it goes :wink:

(Denise) #14

I don’t like using the Mag. spray because it’s so oily on my skin. I don’t mind epsom salts baths and I do take my daily magnesium, morning and night, but this was kind of a weird happening. I forgot how many peanuts I ate yesterday afternoon, probably a cup and a half, they’re “in the shell” but still, that’s a lot for me to pig out on and then that huge piece of tenderloin :grimacing:

It’s a tiny tenderloin. I don’t eat much meat but 21oz is still a decent amount for me (not using tenderloin, something way fattier :)).
Of course it’s very individual but 7oz is so very tiny!

(I do view the peanuts a lot, let’s blame carnivore :smiley: But peanut is a snack, meat is THE food. Some people can handle peanuts as a complete, occasionally big meal, like my SO but that’s weird :upside_down_face: )

I’m new to carnivore, one month now. One thing I’ve learned from all of my research is that everyone is different when it comes to this lifestyle.
In my case, I don’t have a gallbladder and I have IBS along with diverticulitis. Then on top of that I developed severe stomach pains about two years ago. These were bad. About every other day I’d be hit with these sharp stabbing pains in my stomach that would have me curled up in a fetal position for about four hours and then when that would pass I’d have severe diarrhea for the majority of the day. Doctor put me on a very restrictive diet of high fiber of whole grains and no milk products. Things did not improve. Maybe even got worse. Endoscopy at both ends revealed an irritation in my stomach and some mild Crones in my colon. After being turned on to the health benefits of eating a Proper Human Diet I started eating hardcore carnivore. All of my stomach and bowel issues have cleared up. The first to weeks I did experience some diarrhea as my gut enzymes adjusted to the new lifestyle change but nothing as bad as what I’d been experiencing previously. Three weeks in and things started getting normal.
Instead of a lifetime of defecating several times a day or being constipated for days on end, I’m now going about once every three days with very little waste.
I am now free of the chains that kept me at home never getting to far from the bathroom.
As I said before, everyone is different and this is only my experience but I never want to go through what I have in the past. Change takes time and I hope you find what works for you.

(Denise) #17

Geeeeez, I see where you got your username :frowning: You’ve really been through the mill! That is wonderful how the Carnivore has solved your issues, wouldn’t the doctors be surprised :wink: I’ll just stick with what I’m doing since I’m not totally Carnivore as I still have my nuts, seeds, yogurt and cheese, which I am pretty sure aren’t on the Carnivore diet. I know how limited it is and don’t really feel I want to even try it at this point, since I feel pretty good, except when I don’t :grin:

I’ll leave out the peanuts today, the bags empty, and not sure yet if I’m up to going anywhere. Today is usually a gym-day but I’ll have to see how I feel a little later. Thanks for telling your story, appreciate it. One thing for sure, I’ve been on Keto for 2.5 years so I’ve had time to adjust to that, but I rarely ate red meat, just hadn’t ever acquired a taste for it. Now I get it about 3 times and chicken, fish, or pork other days. Sometime less red-meat if I don’t find it in our tiny town, limited grocers.

All dairy is carnivore as it’s animal, some people has problems with milk (I mean as it being carnivore) but it’s not my problem :wink:
It’s sad when your woe feels limited :frowning: I don’t feel my woe restricting, thankfully but I need that as resisting temptation isn’t in my skillset. I do need to train myself to want only the right things but it’s fine. I have some wriggle room.
It’s way easier now that I got used to eating meat. Vegetarian keto -> carnivore(-ish) was a quite big jump for me and I never ever ate much meat in my life before. But I do like certain meats and I got used to it. I just need variety. But that’s easy on carnivore let alone if we have tiny extras…

(Robin) #19

Denise, I can’t remember if you are a coffee drinker. I have added coconut oil to mine and I believe it has helped with regularity. That may just me, but it makes sense to me… greasing the old pipes LOLOL.

(Denise) #20

I could add some, just decaf but should help. Also, I heard caffeine triggers our bm so I kinda miss that, but my tremor is increasingly better, but for more reasons than just eliminating caffeine. I saw somewhere the benefits of caffeine, may get to go back and have some one day :slight_smile: just in moderation :slight_smile: