Noobie here with ketone question

(Christopher Kornelsen) #1

So I started 1 week ago and I have a blood tester because my wife is type 1 diabetic. I’m in ketosis but for the past 3 days my ketone levels have been .6-1 mmol and then last full day i tested all day and again this morming and I havent changed from .6. This seems odd as I heard newbies fluctuate alot and usually have high ketones. Am I doing something wrong? I eat approx 120-150g of fat per day and about 100g of protein and 25 or less net carbs

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

You’re doing fine, one week is not very long. Ketone testing will mess with your head. Trust the process and don’t worry about testing. Were you using urine strips or a blood meter? Another thing to remember is that testing throughout a day several times you’d likely find a bunch of different levels of ketones. I don’t know why your levels are constant. As your body becomes more efficient at using them they can pretty much disappear in the urine. Even with a blood meter it’s kind of early in the adaptation process to be worrying about numbers. I personally have never tested in 8 months of the keto lifestyle and never doubted the process. If you’ve stayed under 20 carbs (25 might be okay but adaptation might take a little longer) you WILL be in ketosis, no questions asked or testing required. Just stay true with your carb limit and ketosis is guaranteed without the expense of testing.

Those urine sticks aren’t accurate, they were designed as a way for T1D folks to have a quick check if ketones are building up to the point of ketoacidosis, very high ketone levels. I think they’re less than accurate with low reading like when starting keto, and one batch of sticks can vary from another. If that’s what you’re using and it’s just a curiosity thing okay, but don’t put any stock in the numbers. Like I said, just a quick test for T1 diabetics to stay safe. As we say, KCKO or Keep Calm Keto On. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jay Patten) #3

:point_up: This!

(Scott) #4

A week on keto WOE is a blink of an eye. It is also the worst part of it. I am at about nine months in and it still keeps getting better. I am very rigid about not going off plan (I may not even eat my daughters wedding cake) but I have found I do okay at <50g carbs. I really do 20g food but allow another 20g or so of wine nuts and beer. Like when I was counting calories I always round up or use a worst case calculation. I really like this way of eating and just don’t feel the need to count, measure or cheat. Stay strong and don’t sweat the numbers too much. KCKO

(Little Miss Scare-All) #5

Yeah 1 week is too early to get scared just yet lol. .6 and 1 is still nutritional ketosis, and every body is different. No reason for concern! Youre doing well!

(Christopher Kornelsen) #6

Thanks for responses. I test because I like to monitor progress and find out whata happening. I hear many people say dont bother testing then i read the “experts” and they say test so I get confused hah

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Our attitude toward testing is like the Anglican Communion’s position on the sacrament of Confession: “All may, some should, none must.”

Check out Dr Boz on youtube. It can take a while for the glycogen reserves to be used up, and they are a source of glucose.