Non monetary cost benefit analysis of carnivore

(Erin Macfarland ) #1

It’s funny to me that after being part of this community for so long that I continue to think of questions to broaden my perspective about LCHF. I’ve tinkered with carnivore previously, and ended after 6 weeks because I just wasn’t feelin’ it. Recently I’ve given it another go and had better results- but this got me thinking about pros and cons of carnivore if one can tolerate plant foods and is doing carnivore more as a novelty. I can understand the concerns of how fiber and plants might not be optimal for our overal health. However, I’m not one to believe in extremes (at least not for myself) and I can acknowledge there are things about including plant foods that add more to my life than they take away- for example, I love to garden and have always enjoyed growing veggies. I love to cook them as well, and eating veggies means social situations are generally more accommodating when on keto. I think they improve satisfaction with this way of eating long term- snacking on crispy veggies can be very soothing- and filling…pork rinds are great but I could eat an entire bag…on the flip side veggies can cause some digestive discomfort and maybe some gut irritation. They can be expensive and don’t offer much nutritive value. So what I’m wondering is, barring any serious health issues, does eating plant foods on keto offer more positives than negatives?

(Carl Keller) #2

I’m inclined to agree with Dr. Ken Berry who says that where our ancestors lived and what they ate might might have a big influence on what is most healthy for us. If your ancestors lived north of the equator, they probably relied heavily on fat and protein and if they lived near the equator, they probably had much more access and tolerance for plant and fruit based diets along with protein and fat.

I often ask myself that. I am not carnivore but sometimes I lean heavily toward it. The fact that all my cravings begin and end with meat suggests that vegetables only play a minor role in my health. I do enjoy vegetables and I believe as long as they don’t cause me bloating or other digestive issues (which they don’t), they can improve my nutritional profle.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

I like meat and fat a whole lot but I can appreciate veggies for their texture, taste and the variety they offer in my day to day. Sometimes I crave a gigantic meat free mixing bowl of a salad, but mostly I want the salty savor of cooked meat. I think they add value but understand why some folks choose not to partake. To me, they’re neither good or bad, just a personal thing.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

@CarlKeller I agree with you 100%! I crave meat more than anything after being LCHF go about 5 years. Initially I followed the advice to moderate protein…and when I stopped worrying about how much fatty meat I eat I felt sooo much better !

(Carl Keller) #5

You and me both. :wink:

My body craves meat and fat, they are the main components of my diet. I’m histamine intolerant so I removed the majority of troublesome veggies from my diet. I do enjoy allowed veggies though, I have 100g of veggies (switch them around) and 200g of mixed lettuce greens every day. Do I need to eat them every day? Probably not…but I think that I would miss them. Maybe it’s just a head game? I thought I couldn’t live without fruit, but I havent had any since i switched to keto…

(Doug) #7

I think it’s overwhelmingly an individual thing, Erin. Assuming okay nutrition both ways, then does one want the plant foods?

(Kirk Wolak) #8

Well, I LOVE Vegetables. l truly WISH I could eat them. Think of me as a Baby version of Mikhaila Peterson. Inflammation, migraines, blurred vision, IBS, doubled over stomach pain, and Joint issues, edema, sinus issues… Bleeding Psoriasis, Eczema, dandruff, etc.

[And that’s just reading ADS about vegetables… LOL I kid, that’s when I eat them]

So, I am carnivore by force. Bacon IS my vegetable. And I might have issues with Nitrites/Nitrates that I am masking, but I’ll be damned if I give up bacon without SERIOUS Testing (Test kits are here, BTW).

For me: Plant foods ONLY offer negatives. I cannot even tolerate most seasonings. Paprika OMG it’s like being poisoned! Salt and Pepper!

Benefit. HEALTHIEST I have ever been and I am 52! I will be spry at 90, and I NEVER THOUGHT I would live to see 66 when I was 100lbs heavier!

Now, when you factor in ADF or OMAD, I find Carnivore to be among the CHEAPEST Diets Ever. Especially compared to Jenny Craig or SAD. And if you learn to use a Sous Vide… I am cooking Chuck Roasts Sous Vide at 133 degrees for 72 hours. They come out SO TENDER, you think you are eating RIBEYE. I finish with a torch.

Everything I am doing now is about LOWERING my costs. The most expensive thing I eat is BACON. It costs 13.99 for 3 Lbs from BJs. I go through 12-15 lbs a week, because my daughter helps out, and my wife has been known to take a few slices. I probably put 6-9lbs away per week.

I am looking to learn to make my own bacon, and USE 99% pork fat instead of the meaty stuff of normal bacon. And I will make my own sausage.

Honestly, the Jimmy Dean All Natural sausage is 2 for $6.00 [Sale at Target. 3.99 normally] (one is 12 oz, and 2,000 calories, this is about the same calories as 3lbs of bacon creates, because of the difference in fat loss). So, the sausage is a far better price. Best bank for the buck. And I will be testing eating that in lieu of bacon for a Leaky Gut test (First with bacon, then 2 weeks of sausage instead, then test, then only beef products for 2 weeks, no coffee or vitamins/supplements). Mail off the tests…

Anyways, cost benefit analysis of carnivore. You could eat like a FAT KING for less than $12/Eating day, and using ADF (Eating only MWF), I am talking about $36/week for just myself. And if I worked at it, I could cut that down to $18/week. Which means If I just might be able to retire and live off of Social Security! Woot Woot! #NSV

(Running from stupidity) #9

That’s possibly the worst attempt at a quote in the history of forums, Karl™ :slight_smile:

(Carl Keller) #10

I was disproving this:

The longer the quote, the lower the information density

And then I fixed the quote. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with the cost benefit… my husband and I spend about a third of what we used. Before we had to have everything at home and I cooked and I cooked.
Now, we eat OMAD, weekends TMAD, simple ingredients, limited selection (not in a bad way)…
SAD is expensive…

(Marius the butter craving dude) #12

For weight loss carnivore is good because you do not need to count carbs at all :slight_smile: That is if you also exclude dairy

(Troy) #13

For me, I find myself craving/wanting/buying plant foods…only eat occasionally now.
Normally, for the above, pickles are perfect . I get the vinegar, crunch and texture…yes @Digital_Dave might agree🙂
Maybe some celery with chicken wings here and there

Today
Chicken thighs smothered in butter, hot sausage links, and fried eggs
Not a green leaf in sight😄

Dairy causes digestive issue for me

Plant Foods started too as well
Probably a lot to do with those natural occurring plant toxins that Thomas talked about and @atomicspacebunny referenced in another thread
I know the chiropractor on YT recommends around 10 servings of greens or so :nauseated_face:
Haha
To each their own

Cost? Inexpensive
BULK…Chicken thighs at Sams or Costco , eggs, bacon, 1-2 carb sausages, ground beef, Kirkland butter, sardines, and pork rinds like you mentioned

That’s all I need
Call it a day, month and year

Great post btw😄

(Bunny) #14

Most plants are biochemically hyper-vigilant they don’t want to be eaten!

I think if you occasionally ate organ meats you could get the same amount of micronutrients and a + benefit from eating the glandulars (protomorphogens). That includes raw milk and eggs! Raw eggs are high in Glutathione, that is until you cook them?

Grass fed or free range meats like wild animals would be even better?

Eating Chlorella (free of pathogens) you could achieve the same as eating raw meat and vegetables combined if you are into culturing it yourself?

(Troy) #15

Carnivore shout out

And this is still free ( as of right now ) and Downloadable per @OgreZed mention

I’m not recommending Or endorsing per say
Other then, it’s free😄

Enjoy

(Running from stupidity) #16

I changed it anyway :slight_smile:

(Rob Grantham) #17

The difficulty I have on the carnivore is with hypoglycaemia type effects. I tried it last year for 4 weeks and felt pretty bad. My anxiety also got much worse. I’m of the impression that fat2 protein ratio has to be high but I still havnt got to grips with it. I was finding if my protein was too high from previous meal then i would hypo couple of hours after. If fat was too high I would also get similar symptoms. Like really spaced and anxious. I don’t like this feeling and it scared me so I added back plants. Plants imo are not the devil they are made out to be. They do have nutritional value and we still don’t know of the long term effects to microbiome of meat only diets.

As far as cost… if you’re eating more fat than protein it’s probably affordable… as the protein goes up you have to either sacrifice quality or money. Unfortunately grsss fed is a bit out of my price range

Yep, I do indeed sir. :+1:

Same here, Carl. I would have to say I’m probably 85% Carnivore presently, being I don’t hardly ever desire plant based stuff. I much prefer a plate of meats overall, but there are a few things I do enjoy, but again, not needed and not consumed as much. I do enjoy Salads when the wife makes them, but I honestly have no issues doing without either. (But it does add variety as well, so I make do)

Yeah, see this would be me only rarely. When I do eat Salads, I really want them to be meat laden. Be it Chicken, Steak, Ham, etc. I don’t find Salads as appealing without them, but will occasionally. And when it comes to other veggies, such as Green-beans, peas, carrots, corn, etc. (Yes, before Keto) I was never really a fan myself, and sometimes would just not partake.

:+1: … There’s a lot of times, my plates are full of just meats. And it’s when I’m happiest. :wink: Yes, I do throw in stuff like Cauliflower and Broccoli, but loaded with butter and cheeses. So it adds to the meal, but I usually eat the meats first. … And like troy mentioned above, besides meats in general, I prefer just to have some Pickles and Olives and I’m good. I could easily do without the others. :slight_smile:

(Erin Macfarland ) #19

@CaptainKirk you make some great points on saving money but I guess I meant I was comparing cost vs benefit in relation to health and quality of life…but great feedback nonetheless!

(Erin Macfarland ) #20

You’re just fine @CarlKeller :grin: