Non-hunger non-illness triggers to breaking a fast

(Splotchy) #1

I can fast 36 hours no problem (evening day 1 to morning day 3). I do this once a week and Keto omad/tmad on other days. However I want to do an extended fast each month, partly because I have a lot more fat to lose and partly because I want autophagy. I only have water, salt and black coffee.

I’ve been surprised at how non-hungry I am, even when others near me are gorging. However after 3-4 days I am desperate to TASTE something - it’s like my mouth is bored of having no flavours in it. So, not hungry, but some weird sort of oral boredom is leading me to break fasts. Possibly the more I do the better I’ll get. But if anyone has ideas to avoid this feeling I’d welcome it!

(Amanda) #2

I use smoked salt from time to time. It might give you something new to work with.

(Robert C) #3

At 3 or 4 days I sometimes start watching eating competitors on YouTube and I also check the specials at Popeyes (but would not go there).

The point is, you are being driven by a part of your brain (the old lizard brain) to find food. It comes in waves and can safely be ignored (unless you also feel sick). I haven’t found a way to avoid it (it used to be an evolutionary imperative so, maybe no way exists).

For me (and the reason I usually stick with 5-day fasts or less) is because I start having real sleep issues (a 3 or 4 hour night - messing up my next day is what usually causes the break). A salt / water / coffee only fast is going to get you into autophagy pretty quickly - so a large percentage of your 3 or 4 day fast will be spent there.

Stringing together 5 4-day fasts in a month will be much easier and just about as effective as a single 20 day fast and you have a much better chance of success. Longer fasts get killed with a single important social engagement - which you can schedule around with successive shorter fasts.

(Splotchy) #4

I wondered about flavouring my water somehow, while avoiding breaking autophagy? I’ve tried green tea (don’t like it much) and was wondering about herbs. Ideas welcome!

You could try sparking flavored water. They make all different unsweened kinds. I like them while extended fasting.

(David Cooke) #6

I am at the beginning of my weekly 24 hour fast and am drinking cold ginger tea mixed with a little apple cider vinegar and a carbonated water (San Pellegrino). Later drinks will contain no more ACV.