NoCarbvember Adventure!

(JJ) #662

Glad there is some good news for Alvaro, Shinita.

Lots to catch up on here. I love reading along and getting little snippets of your lives from around the globe

End of Month Summary for me:

Down 4lbs total, after my weight drifted up in the last week. Am premenstrual though, so typically will shed a few pounds in the coming week or two.

I decided that I would go back to a more typical keto, but one that was more mindful of the carb creep. I figured ZC was an awesome reset for me. I decided my keto woe would 100% exclude cruciferous vegetables as I know these are not kind to my GI tract, also made the choice to really not do many keto sweets.

So today, my packed lunch included 2x baby cucumbers and 1x cherry tomato along with my tuna and cheddar cheese BUT one nibble on that teeny tomato saw me spitting it in the bin- the taste was so offensive. I ate one mini ā€˜cukeā€™ with salt and didnt mind it, but the other went in the bin as I didnā€™t want it.

Interesting.

Ha, as if :smiley: But he surely wonā€™t get food like Amy in the Aussie hospitalā€¦ That would be too carby even for him! Hungarian people without needing some super special diet typically eat the food their relatives bring in (and the edible parts of hospital food, the cooked meals are fine for a normal person), itā€™s significantly harder when visiting is prohibitedā€¦ We will see. He probably wonā€™t eat hospital food for long. Now I have no idea what he gets, one day he got absolutely no nutrients, he saidā€¦
But when he comes home, I will make a nice soup of the hen I have in the freezer (and the cats will be elated too. itā€™s nice to make everyone happy). He isnā€™t into meat soup near as much I am (though I take a break, eating chicken soup every day of the week was enough for a while) but itā€™s a traditional ā€œmedicine foodā€ for sick ones and I can understand that. I donā€™t think I have comfort foods but if I am wrong, then itā€™s meat soup. And hot chocolate, maybe even though thatā€™s not carnivore. I am no carnivore and probably will keep the tiny occasional amount of cocoa powder.But I mostly drink coffee with cream, itā€™s similar. My next coffee free time will be some time later, itā€™s nice to have it now, I need something hot and tea is boring.

I can imagine zc can be paired with disordered eating but itā€™s silly to think it is one to begin with. Restrictions can exist as the healthiest way in every way and disordered eating is negative to meā€¦
Oh well, dietetitians can have their opinions, I just feel sorry for the misled people. I was always extremely stubborn. I read about all the people who ever thought fat is bad or egg is bad or red meat etcā€¦ Itā€™s so very strange to me. I never thought such things. Itā€™s partially my environment, of course but I like to make my very own decisions when itā€™s about one of my major joy sources and my health too. I didnā€™t know things for very long but at least I knew high-fat is the only way for me to live and eggs are awesome (for me, some people are allergic).

It can totally be a disorder if someone gets too health-conscious (I donā€™t know the term but there is a word for it), gets obsessed and without a good reason. I donā€™t see food as enemy and I am quite sure it is not for me. I need to be careful with certain items, I definitely should avoid others and thatā€™s it. Others should be more strict, thatā€™s fine but one can do it really obsessively and wrong too. I can imagine people forcing themselves to zc and mentally suffering. Possibly physically too, no diet is fine for everyone at every point of their lives.

But itā€™s very odd to see my own woe attacked when I feel it was the best idea everā€¦ Carnivore would be a tad too restrictive to me and it would cause inner turmoil and slight suffering due to my strong opinion of it being totally unnecessary as the food itself is fineā€¦ But I like to be very very close to it. Forcing myself into eating food I donā€™t want, donā€™t need and what makes me feeling a bit worse - it canā€™t be good. Is it restricted if I donā€™t want what is outside, at all? (I am not quite like this but getting close. I barely want any non-animal food ever and even then, the amount is ridiculous. I really, really canā€™t have problems with eating them even if someone must eat it as I donā€™t waste food. That is very serious to me but not to the point to cause discomfort to myself except with the work of solving the problem.) Then everyone has a restricted diet. No one eats absolutely everythingā€¦

Wow. Even I have trigger foods. Or had. Probably still have but one can never know, I change rapidly and I am very much into my normal food now.
But there are so many reasons not to eat ā€œeverythingā€ā€¦ We are humans, we function just fine with a small range of well chosen food items. Definitely better than eating ā€œeverythingā€ if we are easily tempted with modern food.

I go to the city again. I packed my leftover meat (it wasnā€™t even much and I couldnā€™t eat it all yesterday) and some cheese, I left even 3 boiled eggs thereā€¦ Today will be fine eating wise, no matter what. I am very prepared. And there will be lots of supermarkets nearby. I even bring some whipping cream, I used milk the last time, little but still. Cream is better and I need to use up mine, a 200ml box is a challenge if I use only coffees.

Aaaaaaaaaaand the fresh news is that Alvaro leaves theā€¦ emergency ward or what? Yay! I knew he will get better quickly, heā€™s that type and he sounded not too bad. Even the sun is shining, I packed everything and go socialize (itā€™s way less fun to be far from people now), I feel unusually fine after the last days.

Yeah, it may happen. I can relate. But cucumber and tomato, itā€™s totally my thingā€¦ Just not this much, one or two slices. Very rarely. I definitely wonā€™t buy vegetables for myself but if Alvaro has cucumber, itā€™s nice with my meat now and them. I only ate 5 slices when my meat was insanely salty, I wonā€™t do that again.

And some tomatoes are super sweet, I wouldnā€™t eat those either. Tomato is for some dishes in tiny amount in puree form. Very rarely. I can eat roasts and whatnots for a long, long time, not wanting eggs in purgatory-like dishesā€¦

(JJ) #665

Yay Alvaro!!! Great news!

I like what you said about sticking close to zc but not strictly speaking exclusively zc , Shinita. That is how I feel I will be.
I didnā€™t want to eat my veggies today, so didnā€™t. Just making that choice and not being restricted in it makes all the difference for my own relationship with food.

Canā€™t believe some professionals dont recognise food addiction. Perhaps they are addicts themselves and denial of their own sugary proclivities leads to a denial a problem exists at all :wink:

and you will. remember donā€™t worry at all about any animal kingdom carbs. they are wrapped in protein goodness ya know :slight_smile: plant carbs are the bad guys and you are rocking this plan Karen!!

ahhh, but hey it sounds like it was delish cold tho! saved!

yes there is life after trying carnivore FOR THOSE who can have it. Many come here for the life saving actions of this plan and wonā€™t leave it, but yea if one can have back some plants and do wellā€¦and it suits them, then sure go there. Nothing wrong with just that.

Eating disorders, this and that ā€˜from expertsā€™ and I can say one thing. No one knows ā– ā– ā– ā–  about the mental baggage an individual can put onto food for comfort and true physical body triggers foods effect on people soā€¦ughā€¦know thyself and physician heal thyself. that is what I did LOL

best of luck Jules!! Nothing wrong with going back a step into Ketoā€¦plus you learned something great. the cruiciferous veg do not sit well with your gutsā€¦you learned what you need for elimination to do well eating some plants. Wish you the best!! It was fun having you on the thread while you were experimenting with carnivore!!

@Shinita, very happy Alvaro is leaving the ICU or whatever ward? LOL and all is going better for him then expected! Happy for you guys!!

NoCarbvember is over.

ā€˜The Twelve Days of Carnivoreā€™ starts tomorrow where those of us who want to hold the zero carb eating plan thru the holiday time will have support and chat about remembering why we chose zc and why we eat this way for our health and we will hold on and rock out into the new year in great carnivore fashion!

for me I did well for Nov.

Lost 2.2 lbs but sadly on the scale this morning, darn bit of bloat and I will count it, down only 1.5 so I will lock in and say 1.5 lbs. lost for Nov and I am thrilled with that! I eat to my absolute fill and still loseā€¦ok I can win with that situation.

I feel wonderful, energized but OMG the weather is dragging me down mentally. the covid thing around, the weather is massive rain right now and days of itā€¦and believe me I am weather affected type person. So looking up to the weather gods saying please please please give me back some nice sunny warmer days LOL

food yesterday was

12 oz. Ribeye steak
few slices taylor ham

big cheeseburger patty
3 slices bacon

tin of sardines and few slices salami

I am thrilled to be heading into 12 Days of Carnivore for the holiday season. I am going in strong and on plan and feeling wonderful about hitting into the new year which will be my start into year 4 on a zero carb plan!

Thinking about any small goals and such I want for Dec. Will post that up tomorrow when we kick off our challenge!

Hold strong carnivores. ONLY WAY to get any real results and real healing from your being on the carnivore plan is to eat the carnivore plan LOL Jumping in and out of it into plant eating is just not going to give you the real results of what this plan can do for a personā€¦only way to achieve that and see for ourselves is to hold plan and then find out any changes that happen. Just a reminder as we go into Dec challenge for those wanting the zc plan and seeing where it takes you :stuck_out_tongue:

9.27pm Last day of NoCarbvember.

Finished with 300g scotch fillet steak, blue cheese and 2 eggs. Washed down with bubbled rain water.

Itā€™s important to finish well.

(Vic) #669

Last day of nocarbvember and back home to normal food.

Liver egg and blood sausages

Makes such a darn difference doesnā€™t it for us carnivores! Home is where the health is :partying_face:

It truly is and we all ā€˜got pathsā€™ to final goals we want. What are those goals are very personal of course to each of us. We have to remember that! As long as we finish well in a challenge is fab but what is our lifetime goal and ā€˜how do we findā€™ that is important alsoā€¦best thing for me on that one is LISTEN to you and your path is definitely clear but we again, have to listen to our bodies and seek that healing it wantsā€¦once we ā€˜get itā€™ ya knowā€¦we go so into a great future! And of course, for ALL of us it is super personal on how to roll :blush:
Nice thing is we have that freedom to do just that! :heartbeat:

(Daisy) #672

@Shinita I am so glad to hear the report on Alvaro!
@FrankoBear Iā€™m sorry to hear you couldnā€™t connect with your goddaughter over the weekend. Hopefully soon! Was there supposed to be a link for the womanā€™s journey back to flexible eating? I couldnā€™t click anything.

Today was back to work after 8 days off. Ugh! :joy:
I had a beastly, fatty chuck roast that I prepared as a steak. It was bigger than my hand and I made it through most of it! Plus the last portion in that container of liver pĆ¢tĆ©. I still have loads in the freezer. I have a jar of broth in the fridge that I just have had no desire to consume. I go through phases with itā€¦

I hit a milestone this weekend in that I fully accepted my body for what it is and what itā€™s not. I have always been very hard on my body and itā€™s always been very frustrating that Iā€™ve not lost a lb in a year of carnivore. But Iā€™m embracing my body and my flaws, loving myself for how God made me and wants me to be, and letting go of what I canā€™t control!

It was the podcast link to the Low carb MD podcast (click the ā€˜playā€™ button).

We can all learn from that.

FAB POST KD! TRULY!!

in that with more clear thinking when we eliminate foods that ā€˜wreck our bodies and mindsā€™ we SEE ya know. I have seen just like you have.

my life when I gained more later down the line older I did get, it was ā€˜get back to age 18 bodyā€™ and thru the journey I realized that is not doable or even a ā€˜true normal thoughtā€™ if ya think about it.

health and vitality and vibrancy and clear thinking and nutrition for the body not being hungry to be ā€˜on a diet for lifeā€™ and thinking I HAD to be there or I was less thanā€¦zc gave me all of it back. Real life and real truths and what we must ā€˜hand over to our Godā€™ as we see fit and let life happen and enjoy this time on this planet.

I think of it as when we pass will I think I wish I lost a lb or will I think of what I did on this earth and my loved ones? And what purpose I had to contribute and then I also know that no one in their life should ever put all their life into ā€˜their body and their scaleā€™ and it truly made me think way more clear of a great path in life.

zc zen and clarity is fab and when it hits ya full force, you get it :wink:
just like your post! I loved what you wrote here KD!

(Karen) #675

Last day of NoCarbvember and looking forward to the twelve days of carnivore.

Today I started with the remaining beef rib for brunch which was lovely cold especially with some of the dripping that was on the top of the juices in the pyrex dish.

Just had 2 fried eggs, streaky bacon and 3 pork sausages followed by king prawns fried in butter and melted cheese on top, followed by 2 cold pork sausages. Now I can see how to get the calories inā€¦ pork sausages lol! My calories were significantly higher!

I am not a big eater of pork and bacon and just re started eating bacon since starting Keto. Today I bought the sausages though I am not a fan of them. Was shopping in Lidl and really wanted beef ones but could only find pork. I had to cook them all as the use by date was 1st Dec. Not a problem as I can take some to work tomorrow. I have to admit to thoroughly enjoying my meal hence why I ended up eating 2 more sausages. I surprised myself! Only ate the prawns cos they were reduced! The sausages only had 0.5g carbs which was much lower than any of the other sausages on the shelves.

So on to another month YAY :grin:

(Karen) #676

Ooops it was 1g carbs per sausage!!! I have eaten more carbs in those 5 sausages that on any other day this month :astonished:

(Edith) #677

I have recently listened to a podcast with a micro biome expert and an interview (recently uploaded to the carnivore videos thread) with Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride, the originator of the GAPS diet. Both of these people said 100% of people get leaky gut from gluten. Some people just donā€™t get digestive problems from it. The problems may manifest differently such as insomnia, anxiety, or something else. It may not be psychological in any of them, but purely physiological after all.

The last days were quite odd. I barely eat a few bites sometimes now. Well, it canā€™t last for long, I am not that type but itā€™s very weird.
Itā€™s after 8 pm and half of my small packed box (a chicken drumstick, about as much pork, a slice of sausage, some cheese) is there. Well I ate a boiled egg and a bowl of meat soup (no meat pieces). And cream in my coffee. I am a bit stressed and have headache, not like it has anything to do with my hunger. And I am even more stressed. Yep, I understand theoretically that we have different daysā€¦ But it annoys me that they are that different. This meat is the same meat I brought last time. And the majority of it in my freezer anyway.
I will stop with the coffees as I have no problem with fasting at all. But these bitesā€¦ Nope. I actually got hungry at 3 and ate. Half an egg and about 3 bites of meat and a little piece of cheese. And I donā€™t feel any urge to eat since then, more like the opposite though I managed to have a similarly big second meal. At least I can drink soups almost any time. Liquids are way easier.

What if my headache is because my negative appetite turns off my hunger? Why am I this miserable? I have nausea too. My emotional state isnā€™t so great, I want to feel right at least physically.

I got offered cake today, by the way, I donā€™t remember this happening here, we both can make good cakes and Oti prefers the same sweetness Alvaro and me do (or me 1 year before). Store-bought ones. I liked that type in the past (bought from proper cake shops, at least and I never valued that very high either) but I never made it myself on keto, it should have been super easy though, itā€™s mostly filling, whipped cream and eggā€¦ Well, it would be if I made it. The stuff has about 20 rows of ingredients, itā€™s scary. I wanted to count how many ingredients but the necessary work wouldnā€™t worth it.

I saw cooking shows in the tv today. Things are overly complicated to me. I never really was the type who needed zillion spices and wild combos and even some sauce and other things. And they did it to some wild meat. I wondered about gastronomy, I often do it lately.
There are nice combos, of course. Cooking is (was? I am sure I am still interested to some extent) my hobby, I get it. But many competing flavorsā€¦ Unnecessary to me, even distracting, chaotic.
And I enjoy simple too much lately.
So I see even my old style of complicated dishes (they were simple but not what I have now. I donā€™t even call it cooking) very unnecessary.
I wonder how I will think later. I probably would gladly taste fine dishes if they are heavily based on animal products but spending more than minimal time and effort to make them? No.

I wonder how I will cook for Alvaro when he comes home. He is very adaptable in his comfort zone. I am the cook, it always affects his woe, no matter how willing I am to make whatever he wants. Often I donā€™t even need to be the cook for a change. If my woe changes, his changes too if he can get closer to mine in his comfort zone.

(Vic) #679

Last nocarbvember meal.

(Edith) #680

My goodness! I canā€™t believe today is the last day of November. I am halfway done my six month carnivore experiment. I am definitely still on the fence about it.

Itā€™s been about two weeks or almost two weeks since I stopped taking extra salt as a supplement along with magnesium and calcium. I am still salting my food, but Iā€™m even trying to decrease that. Today I have a headache. The kind I get when I need extra salt. The headache could possibly be from a mild oxalate purge cause I also had peeling lips yesterday along with cloudy urine. Iā€™m going to ride it out and see what happens.

My back is doing somewhat better, but I also stopped jogging and I am only doing strength training for now. The back improvement could just be from not running.

Can I say that I feel amazing on carnivore at this point? No, but itā€™s probably safe to say that my body is still adjusting, especially since Iā€™ve dropped any supplementation. My digestive tract is becoming more stable than when I first started. Thatā€™s a plus.

Oh, and only two diet cokes this month, one being caffeine free. And I have to say, I think Diet Coke has lost its appeal. I didnā€™t really enjoy them. I have a feeling next month will be no Diet Coke.

Todayā€™s food for the final day of NoCarbvember:
Breakfast: a few ounces of ribeye roast, 3 slices of bacon, 2 fried eggs.
Lunch: chicken wings
Dinner: ribeye roast and egg pudding.

See yā€™all next month!

P.S. Hey, @Carnivoor, what was in the tin for your last NoCarbvember meal?

(Vic) #681

Blood sausage, some raw beef, beefburger, cod liver