NoCarbvember Adventure!

Separate dessert stomach, I have it. It’s not about sugar, it works with very low-carb desserts too but carbs make me hungry so that’s not pretty. But it needn’t to be sugar, starches are similar.
And when I am full with normal food, I still could drink a lot of eggs in creamy coffee or eat a small hill of sour cream (and regret it due to the lactose but I am smarter and don’t eat that)… There are easy to eat food items. Some people overeat bacon, I don’t know how but we are this different.
Even so… I don’t overeat on carnivore. I probably could but I would need to want it (and probably the next day would undo the effect anyway). It’s really cool :wink:

I would feel very hungry afterwards. Carbs are annoying things. I can eat a ton of it and I feel kinda too full and hungry at the same time (and not so great but I still can eat more easily). Better don’t go that route.

Alvaro has this grossly full and sick afterwards when eating too fatty food. It has some delayed satiation in his case. Odd, fat never has delayed satiation if I eat it. I can’t overdo it in the first place. But I have some good fatness perception. If my food is too fatty or too lean, I eat something else with it to balance it out. I always track after I eaten (as no way I stick to plan ever) and my days are almost always have 65-73% fat calorie wise. Probably almost every dish I eat has this. It’s my sweet spot and I feel if I don’t have in it and automatically correct it. I did 79% fat days (I planned 80 but it just couldn’t happen) but I had to plan, focus and it lasted for one day. My taste is this inflexible. Oh well.

I am perfectly satiated and extremely chill and satisfied after my carni meals :slight_smile: I feel best after my meals but I am not energetic then. I need to be well-fasted to be active physically. BUT my mind is always okay now. It’s new. I still like to chill and write walls of texts here after a meal but I theoretically could use it for something else. I will test that.

Oh. I wanted to make carnivore cookies in November. I totally forgot. I always plan sweets that just can’t happen on carnivore due to no desire. Well I changed my plan to savory cookies (seems much easier on carnivore) but I am too happy with my roasts and soups and whatnots.
I spent insanely much time on making recipes and experimenting. Cooking and baking is my hobby (and my food addiction compelled me to put lots of effort into it. I still never did elaborated stuff, I just did good tasting food with the right texture fitting my actual woe. except I never could do cookies until lately). And now I boil, fry or cook something without anything special most of the time (I just put the stuff into the pot/pan with salt and in the first case, water). I feel I wasted my time in the past. It was fun but so much work and some stress too. I have full cooking exercise books… I still cook for others, fortunately.

I love cookies because they are crunchy, I don’t care if they are sweet (of course sweet store-bought ones are way too sweet and I don’t buy too processed stuff since a decade anyway. and I never met homemade ones, housewives here always make creamy cakes. I loved those too but I made too much on keto and had enough. it seems very long-term). But cheese wisps just won’t do. And I can’t make enough crispy chicken skin… And they are different anyway, thinner. Cookie texture and crunchiness. That’s lovely. Some kind of cookie texture must be realistic on carnivore. But I am no in hurry to experiment.

I got carried away again…? I still love the topic of food. Almost all kinds of food. Except maybe the complicated ones. And who invented stuffing? I may be a simple one but if we have a perfectly fine meat and even side dishes for the carb lovers (or the ones who think meat alone would be too expensive or something. I can understand several reasons), why to complicate the meat itself? Oti said stuffed roasted chicken is the simplest dish ever. Nope, roasted chicken is the simplest dish ever (except roasted fatty pork is even simpler, no extra fat is needed but that’s not a big complication), I never did stuffing, of course but I imagine it’s something complicated. And it makes the dish worse. I can chat about such things too but I don’t like to criticize dishes as surely it’s wonderful and needed for some other people and each to their own.

Oti knows someone without a spleen too, 2 decades, well he had to stop playing rugby or hockey…? But I’ve read about marathon runners without a spleen and Alvaro just likes to be somewhat active but he never wants to win anything, it’s just for health and staying somewhat slim.
I’ve read about immune system problems but i don’t care what has chance or what has a big chance… I want to know the best case and I guess he will has that. He is young and he was very healthy before and I am a huge optimist (I used to called myself ‘a naive optimist’, it’s so very strong. I can’t help it. I am a bit paranoid too, it’s an odd but healthy combo. I want to be very safe but I don’t worry unnecessarily). We will see, I surely won’t cry about chances when I so trust in his health. But still, losing an organ that has a lot to do with immune system… Hopefully other parts can do the job almost as well in the best cases. I know some people do have problems without a spleen. But they probably never were as healthy as him. We will see.
It’s very encouraging you know someone without spleen and problems due to it :slight_smile: Just one more case but still! I focus on the best cases. It’s good to know sometimes it’s not a serious problem.
Alvaro plans a looooooooooong life just like me. He needs several more active decades! Not competitive, not overly strenuous, not overly long, just the usual stuff for health…

(Vic) #643

Still traveling around, working.

Restorants are closed,.
Haven’t found any decent food the last couple of days so I gave up and didn’t eat for two days except for 3 eggs and some fetta cheese. Not even half a meal.

Today I managed to go to a supermarket. Got a bunch of meat and ate it in a hotel room.

No way to cook it but why would I, doesn’t it look delicious as is, raw and juicy.
Sardines for desert.

(Edith) #644

I think stuffing was invented so that nothing was wasted, even stale bread.

(Edith) #645

Those steaks look beautiful. Nice marbling.

Oh. We always made breadcrumbs from it. Hungary is very big on breaded stuff… Hungarians can do it with anything, it’s scary. It’s a pain in the ass IMO so I almost never did that.
Fortunately Alvaro simply eats all the bread but stale bread is easy to convert into a popular dish that looks like some simpler savory sibling of French toast (no milk is involved)… I ate it zillion times as a kid. I loved it, it was drenched in eggs, after all… Not like proper French toast, once I watched a video to know what is that like. Some soft or too fluffy bread with fall apart but not dense or stale bread :slight_smile:

Oh, sorry, it’s very not carnivore but gastronomy so I like to talk about it.

Apropos Hungarian things… I met with the idea of “aspic from chicken feet” multiple times in this week. While I was in a blissful ignorance about it before… Yuck. Oti’s best friend loves chicken feet too. And fatty pig feet too.

I am an odd Hungarian. I don’t eat insanely fatty things. Like white bacon and pig feet. But many Hungarians do. Maybe that’s why I never really met with the idea of avoiding high-fat food… I probably met it sometimes (not often) but my mind instantly forgot as it should. And those were probably mostly some guidelines only, others ignore them too. No fatty pork? Nonsense. If it’s about our food and drink, Hungarians are huge hedonists. Of course there are low-fat vegans and dieters but normal people eat very fatty food if they fancy it. Many dieters try anything else but they won’t go low-fat.
A lot of traditional Human dishes are based on fatty meat. And sometimes we add a lot of sour cream too :wink:

(Edith) #647

So what is the BMI of Hungarians, in general? Are there a lot of overweight people like in the US, or do they tend to be slimmer?

(Daisy) #648

@Shinita, I am so glad to hear the good report on Alvaro! My prayers continue to be with you both!!

Today was such a big eating day and I have no regrets, it was all so delicious. It was another 2mad day. I will likely go back to omad tomorrow, as my vacation is ending and I go back to work Monday. Things should settle back into my old routine. But today was 2 glorious feasts. The morning held a ribeye, eggs, butter, pâté, cheese, and broth. This evening, I deep fried chicken thighs in lard, then soaked them in chef shamy garlic butter and Parmesan cheese. Plus more carnivore muffins, pâté, and beef trimmings. They were beyond delicious!! image image

@Shinita, super happy to hear of a good prognosis for Alvaro and hoping his recovery goes very well. Sounds like a long healing road ahead but also sounds like he is a strong guy who can do well and be ok in the end!! Happy you are getting your head around this and adapting to the big changes and it sounds like he is doing ok right now too!

@Ketodaisy and @Carnivoor, those are pretty pics for sure of good meals.
Raw, I didn’t know ya did raw Vic. Maybe I missed that? sounds good tho. I eat blue rare, one off raw mostly so I am probably heading that way also.

KD, chicken thighs soaked in garlic butter and parm cheese, darn girl that sounds delish!

for breakfast? darn right for breakfast cause that is how I would eat also if I was ravenous and wanted to get a good meal in…this is wonderful reading how well you are coming into zc.

I ‘lurked’ on ZIOH facebook site for a long time reading up everything about zc as I was in and out of extreme low carb and tip toeing into zc. I also learned why people were doing what they were doing and reading along with everyone’s questions, all ones I woulda had LOL and just learned and went straight in the zc knowledge of why they were doing what they were doing. It is very cool ya came into zc that way, you sound like me, need some good info on stuff and wrap your head around it before ya jump in full speed.

Nope. Never embarrassing HAHA
Our food is our food and since we never shop the veg aisle or the junk aisles of all that icky other stuff we can spend our money on good meat and seafood. Very important for me to eat what I want and love cause if I couldn’t do that, I wouldn’t be zc :wink: Gotta love what we eat to hang here!

Always a great idea to buy the tinned sardines and more. Great little grab and go and so healthy for us. Plus no cooking when ya want just something…for some reason I was kinda using my tins of sardines as ‘dessert’ cause after a steak meal I would just want a tin of sardines and it became that ‘finish’ to the end of the meal…I don’t know, worked out good for me. Good way to get in some good nutrition from good ol’ sardines!

You are going at this like a pro Septimius. Very glad you are doing so well and chat away anything zc. We got great people and all of us are on different types of journeys on our healing and time on plan and more so any questions someone might have great advice for ya if needed!

----------NoCarbvember is wrapping up. wow. went fast kinda.

food yesterday was

12 oz NY Strip steak
1 chicken breast
few slices leftover brisket
few slices taylor ham
1/2 chicken breast again

didn’t eat great or to my fill. I got caught with only 1 steak defrosted and got more out but just thought chicken would be ok but in the end it felt like a ‘blah eating day’ and woke up very hungry~!

got a big azz ribeye steak to eat…yes that baby is defrosted now and got me a package of 2 smaller NY strips defrosted too to have thru the day also if needed.

might do up some shrimp with my steak. gonna defrost some burger too cause I got some bacon cheeseburgers on my mind.

Hmm, I got alotta zc food on my mind. yea I am hungry and will be eating a nice ribeye was earlier than normal today. Body says you hungry girl, then I am and I will enjoy.

all going well. wishing for nice summer heat vs. this BRRR weather.

There are very very many obese and morbidly obese people here for sure. I don’t know data about this but I see them. Hospitality and enjoying food (carby and very fatty, usually) is big here.
But I don’t see really extreme cases. We have very many chubby people. Or definitely fat, eventually, when they get older and the weight keeps coming. But most of them stops at 100-something kg or earlier.

Drinking is even more serious here though. We have extremely many alcoholics, nearly everyone drinks a lot, drinking spirits first thing in the morning is very very common (one can buy tiny cheap booze anywhere) and refusing drinking is frowned upon. Not like I bother but I am a half-hermit anyway. And so many things pushes people to drink… Just like to eat…

(Daisy) #652

Another deliciously amazing meal that makes my tummy and my heart happy!! Lamb chops, beef fat, raw bone marrow, liver pâté. Then because I’ve been making a bunch of carnivore muffins, I needed something to do with the egg whites. So I tried an experiment of making cheese and bacon egg white bites. The first attempt, I just poured the mix into the mold and none of the cheese and bacon went in :joy::joy: the next two batches, I spooned them in, so they were well proportioned. They just didn’t pop out as they should. But I ate all of them… 20 egg bites :joy: I am overly stuffed and should be quite full until some time tomorrow! Does anyone have any good recommendations for egg whites? I still have half the bowl of whites. image

(Polly) #653

Egg whites mixed with salt and lemon juice is great for cleaning copper pans.

(Karen) #654

Finished of the last of the chicken for brunch which was the meat off the 2 wings sauted in butter and garlic pepper and melted grated mature cheddar in it. You may have guessed that I like this dish as I have it a lot. Cooked the beef ribs bought from the butcher the other day whilst out doing a little shop for a friend. Went to lidl and picked up some La Pavè D’affinois creamy cheese which I havent had before. Ate one of the ribs and followed that with the Pavè and it was so delish I polished off the whole 180g packet :blush: also ate some bacon with cheese melted on it. Definitely had enough now.

After all that I still havent eaten enough calories for the day and not sure how you guys manage to get them all in especially on omad. I have had 1575 which is a bit low for me. I find that I m averaging between 1000 and 1275 and just grabbing cheese to up them to something more reasonable for my level of daily activity and then I get a fair bit ndigestion and am constantly burping and they are very deep loud bumps.

I want to go into December replacing the cheese with something else but could do with some suggestions. Carbs are still very low between 0.5 and 3 or 4. I am liking this woe and really want to keep at it and truly make it work for me.

I could use more recipes for egg whites myself… Well, my cheesy whipped egg muffins are totally edible. Not my favs, Alvaro has no problem with them every week, twice (but I only make it once) but their fat percentage (from calories) is far from my beloved 65-70%… It can be a bit higher… But this stuff is 35%. And egg whites are boring. And I don’t like much cheese in my cooked food… Putting sausage into it makes it way better :smiley: But there is no problem with it, really, I just can eat better with less work. But everything for making “more yolks than whites” happen! As Alvaro helps with them while I get almost all the extra yolks.
So, I whip about 280g egg whites with maybe 40g tasty cheese (slightly ages gouda, usually) to make it cheesy all over… And put something inside. A piece of smoked cheese was the original. I prefer sausage but I actually make it varied, cheese, smoked pork pieces… Even the cheesy ones are salty due to the cheese so I use only a tad of salt but tastes differ. I get 12 cute muffins (not little ones) and they look AMAZING when baked… And then they deflate. They are ready quickly, being mostly whipped eggs. The only problem is whipping them, I use a machine and I need to wash every parts… At least it’s not hard after the egg whites. But still.

I could do other stuff on keto but it’s tricky with this not very flavorful stuff… Maybe I should try lots of spices…
I often put more whites than yolks into Alvaro’s breakfast cakes and he doesn’t complain… The cats would eat them up too but nope, they don’t get my precious eggs often, not even the less precious whites.
But these are for 1-2 egg whites anyway.
I never will have ice cream this way. Not like I want it.

I love boiled egg whites for some reason and I can use boiled egg yolks and raw egg whites in a recipe, it’s great as both are often end up as leftovers. But i need to work on that recipe (my carnivore version is already fine for me but not for Alvaro and I don’t want to add oily seeds forever. this is the fun recipe that started as a carby plant-based fried thingie - they called it vegan sausage. it’s very definitely nothing like sausage. only the spices are there, not even the fat content though it’s not that bad for a vegan dish as it’s not super low-carb like vegan “bacons” and “sausages” usually are! nevermind, I dropped the carbiest stuff - it got better, added eggs - it got better, lard - it got better and then switched the oily seeds to grounded fried pork skin - if you wonder, it got better… for me, at least, Alvaro is a harder nut. fine, I will add meat :smiley: and it will get better. but when I started with this recipe, I didn’t buy meat yet and I learned important lessons and made a good spice mix) and they use very few eggs.

Sorry, the last one didn’t help but it’s a nice stuff with lots of spice. I guess many spicy recipes with other, flavorful ingredients can absorb some whites. Some meat patties or something, I am unfamiliar with those at this point.

Egg whites instead of eggs often happens in low-carb or lowish-calorie diets, it wouldn’t trouble me but alas, they are typically inferior. If I can choose, I rather like more yolks in my scrambled eggs, sponge cakes and so on. But sometimes we can use a bit more whites if the dish depends on eggs less heavily. It solves our problem not in bulk, though.

Maybe egg mixed with whatever (some kind of meat, fish included) that I liked and instantly dropped as I didn’t need it… Maybe that is useful not only when we need to eat some tasteless stuff (lean fish… but even pork on sale is cheaper so I almost never will buy it again) and the tasty eggs balance things out, but using tasty meat and less egg whites… It may work. I am not into skipping the yolks totally, it sounds bad. I love egg yolks in everything.

Sometimes I used egg whites instead of water in certain dishes but I have no such dishes on carnivore.

It’s a problem for me since ages. It keeps my yolk consumption at bay. Not a big problem, I am fine but still, it will be nice to have more yolks eventually when all the extra fat will be needed. And ice cream. I bought rum, I can make eggnog ice cream again! But I don’t have Alvaro now so I can’t have more yolks now. And my freezer is totally packed with Alvaro’s leftover carbs and a huge amount of meat. It’s huge for me alone, at least.

I like whipped egg white made into a raw dessert but it’s tricky on carnivore, again. Or the marshmallow (but I put egg yolk into it anyway, me being me).

Whipped egg whites are a good start for a baked stuff. I won’t put much cheese into it for sure so I must try fatty meats… I will make experiment in the future. I need to buy eggs first and I don’t know when I will be in the mood to walk 15 km for it (cycling is less fun as I can’t use the wildlife park with the forest and gorge. it’s pretty :)). Probably when it will be a sunny day.

If I am hungry, I eat…? I had a ~ 2300 kcal OMAD day not very long ago. Today I ate very little, didn’t track but it really was almost nothing. But I ate more yesterday. My days are all over the place, between 1000 and 2400, both are rare. Variety helps me. If I don’t add eggs soon, I probably will eat very little. I have no problem with dairy until I am careful with lactose but I don’t want to eat much cheese either… And even using great variety, my first meal may be enough or not. I don’t do OMAD for long (only for a few days at most) on carnivore as I just can’t eat enough in one sitting every day.

And I always could boost my calories with my not well satiating items, added fat and chicken. But I don’t want to overeat either (and my protein is high enough this way) so I am careful with both. I can’t finetune my eating, I change my attitude and I overdo the other direction (especially when my goal is eating more).

Many people have some food they can eat very much of… Drinking calories often help too (I always can drink a substantial coffee…)

(Daisy) #657

How long do you bake it? Sounds yummy!

It’s not bad but we eat it every week since ages and it’s not THAT great. Only stuff with lots of yolks or lots of yummy meat etc. can be really good to me! :smiley: I often decide I will give all to Alvaro… But I work with it and the little muffins are tempting and add variety… I always find them nice, just not great. And super low calorie even with the cheese. They are mostly egg whites, sausage must be used very sparingly too…

I think it’s 20 min at 180 Celsius (just because I do it every week, my memory regarding numbers is very bad and sometimes it’s set to 190 or 170 and it’s just the same to me) but I have a mini oven and I put them into the cold oven (as everything. I never figured out why others don’t do that, they must be some reason but my stuff is never that choosy), maybe that matters. I just wait until they get a nice color. And then I realize their bottom is white… No wonder, the bottom is always wetter, no matter how nicely I whip the whites. Sometimes it annoys me and I bake from the bottom for a few minutes as well.

Hi Shinita. Great comment. One would hope Alvaro’s ‘nutrition’ drink is meat soup!

I find it interesting to realise that standard diet CICO trained dieticians are 3 to 5 times more likely to have eating disorders (according to Dr. Tro). Dieticians and psychologists are the professionals who decide what eating disorders are. Dieticians favour a model of dietary treatment based on the standard recommended diets (higher carb/ lower fat), a philosophy of moderation and food inclusion for variety. Including a wide range of foods does not help people with food addictions. It does not help people with harmful use tendencies with food (dietary and eating problems). It only serves people who are close to metabolic and physiological balance. To include a ‘small amount’ of an addictive or allergy causing substance is to maintain or inflame the addiction or allergy.

There are many professional clinicians who do not believe food addiction exists. If talking to those types, then it is better to contextualise a food that one cannot have (a “trigger” or “avalanche” food) as an allergen and the person offered or advised that food as “allergic”.

This adds depths to the ‘gluten free’ pandemic in Western Culture when people are not physiologically allergic to gluten but they are psychologically averse to eating gluten containing foods.

If we consider that many standard diet trained dieticians receive that training and have had disordered eating within their life experience, then we can understand how they view any diet that presents restriction as it’s premise is to be looked at as disordered eating. Despite any evidence to the contrary, where restrictive diets are used therapeutically, and that approach is extended into using a form of dietary as a therapy to achieve better health.

Daisy. This young woman’s story is very interesting. She was healing a nerve disease problem. You will see the trajectory: Low fat eating + high exercise > weight gain > injury > Atkins for a year, good results but gets told it’s dangerous > relapses > finds Paleo > discovers Keto > becomes strict steak and eggs carnivore > relaxes to seafood added carnivore > starts re-introducing foods after healing… Yes. There is more after carnivore.

Last day of NoCarbvember here. What’s the December Challenge going to be called? There were suggestions of traditional song titles. “We wish you a Meaty Christmas”… and a carb free new year?

I’ve blown it again this morning. These days I take the philosophy to blur the potential triggers statements after learning more about the psychology of eating.

Black coffee and cream, a croissant (if I try to describe how i came by this ‘food’, the ingredients, the thinking, and care in its preparation, it still ends up being a croissant), 3 fresh eggs from the coop, grass fed butter, cheddar cheese omelette, salty bone broth.

There is a scotch fillet steak for dinner tonight. Someone has finished all the blood pudding.

I went to my outlaws house for dinner on the weekend. My goddaughter had ditched me to hang out with her teenage gang and bad-boy boyfriend, instead of coming out for a coffee, then she didn’t come home for dinner. So I just have to catch up with her when I can. My brother-in-law had slow cooked a beef brisket. First he brined the beef. Then seasoned and smoked it with hickory. Then he overcooked it. Doh! It was his first try at doing it. My sister-in-law doesn’t agree with my ‘high fat’ diet. She’s a physiotherapist that believes everything is fixable with exercise. Her vice is running. But she saw that keto people eat green leafy vegetables. I’m not game to tell her I am a failing carnivore. So she made and served a really nice kale and broccoli salad. I thanked her for the low oxalate food. She was baffled and did not want to ask as we have disagreed often over the ‘healthiness’ of foods. At the end of the pleasant dinner, even though we discussed some tough emotional things (their daughter, my goddaughter) and they drank about 4 bottles of wine between them I was sent home with meat and salad leftovers. The brisket as a cold cut the next day was absolutely delicious! So I phoned my BIL and said he was on to something and how good the brisket was.

Thanks everyone for your kind opinions and experiences with dealing with teenage girls. I appreciate your inputs a lot and value them greatly.

(Vic) #661

When I travel I usually go to butchers or supermarkets for food and eat it raw. I prefer eating raw in a hotel room over eating in a restaurant by myself.

@ Daisy. Picture looks delicious again.