NoCarbvember Adventure!

(Edith) #601

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.

Today we are deep frying Cornish games hens. I bought 25 pounds of grass fed beef tallow from Amazon for the deep fryer. I’m going to attempt making tallow soap with the extra.

We will be serving it with mashed potatoes for my girls and having a charcuterie tray. That’s it. I was a little sad at first because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and making a wonderful meal was a big part of it in years past.

This morning I realized that’s not important, because the holiday really should be about being thankful and we have a lot for which to be thankful. The rest is just gravy. Pun intended.

Btw, I am thankful for our little carnivore group and this forum as a whole.

(Kirk Wolak) #602

On this day, I like to remember the following things:

1. We live better today than Kings/Queens did 200 years ago! [A/C, Heat, Cars, Fridge, Food, etc]
  2. The Pilgrims tried “Collectivism” first, and ONLY when they gave up on that, and said everyone reaps what they sow, did they end up with Extras! Which became the essence of the First Thanksgiving.
  3. They Shared their success with others (Success lifts all boats in the end). And specialization soon took over… And I believe the American Spirit was born! [Which is easily Identifiable, and NOT unique to America, as I see it now in many countries]

You can find the Mayor of the Pilgrims Diary and read about it. It’s AMAZING…

Therefore, on this day, I give Thanks to all that I have.
To those that came before me and left clues/footsteps, and allowed us a head start.
To those that taught me.
To those that touched me in some way, or allowed me to touch their lives!
To live in an age where we have come so far…
To the friends and family that walk this journey with me…
And then the personal entries I will keep to myself.

I truly love this holiday. Gratitude is a wonderful feeling that puts things in perspective.
And my philosophy about my ZC journey is that I wouldn’t be here if not for those who spoke out and shared their story (Mikhaila, etc), and I want to make sure I do the same…

Thank you to EVERYONE here!

That’s very touching, @CaptainKirk. Thank you for sharing it.

(Karen) #604

Happy Thanks Giving to all of you over the pond. Have a supertastic day. Hope you are able to spend it with your loved ones. Xx

Oh my god. It sounds overly fatty (the yolk alone is fattier than my average dish and my days are always below that fat percentage) but I must try it out :smiley: I didn’t think such a fatty stuff will stay in one piece though egg is very powerful… Baked goods are so mystical, I can’t predict the result as good as other dishes…
I don’t have pumpkin spice only gingerbread spice… And too much clove, well I will eat it eventually, one of my fav spice for desserts :smiley: Including spicy egg milk.

I often think about what I have because I live now and not in the worst parts of the planet… I can easily access technology even the richest, most powerful people couldn’t have decades ago… But it’s only one simple thing, I often appreciate what I have and common people in the past (and billions of people today) hadn’t/haven’t.

So it’s Thanksgiving in the US? Happy Thanksgiving, folks! :slight_smile:
I am a Hungarian so we don’t have anything like that. We will have Saint Nicholaus day next. It’s mostly for the kids and Alvaro and I am kids for Alvaro’s Mom who considers me her child and is a nice mother for me :smiley:
We will get 2 bags of candy (mostly chocolate. is chocolate candy? candy reminds me of some mostly sugar stuff I always hated but English isn’t my first or second language). I always pity poor Alvaro a bit when it happens even if he doesn’t feel miserable at all. It’s one thing he is thriving on his HCHF diet but sugar especially added sugar (IDK why, it feels it’s worse) isn’t good for anyone in bigger amounts and he totally avoids it normally. At least it’s pretty rare for him. And he handles it way better than me but we still have way better stuff at home… Oh well, it’s his business.

Thanksgiving is about meat, at least. At least it can be. I actually know very little about it, I only heard about turkey and that sounds good unless people fill and cover it with carbs. Why anyone does that with perfectly fine meat I can’t imagine but people still do that. Maybe their tastebuds work differently from mine.

Apropos birds. The beef farm still don’t have beef but it has pheasant hens now! Wow, I never heard about getting them from a farm, they really try to be diverse. With success, will I add if they give me my half mutton I am waiting for ages. I want mutton. Mutton is awesome. I need to make experiments with ruminant meat and mutton is expensive like beef just way tastier to me… They only had mutton maybe 2 times this far as an experiment. Of course they sold all the meat in no time as always so they must continue offering them now and then… I am all ready for it and nothing this far sigh.

I tracked my last 2 days… I am still all over the place calorie wise :smiley:
I had OMAD (with some extra bites) days now. After my 2-3 meals with decent energy intake I had a huge meal for me while it felt pretty decent. Chicken is very odd to me. I just grab a few bites, it feels like almost nothing - and it was a lot, I realized. I want to get that energy and nutrients from better stuff… Oh well, I ate almost all the meat I used for my soup… So I can’t repeat it in the near future. The meaty bones are so dirt cheap I could use them as cat food (and I get my nice soup)… But nope, between Alvaro and me, we can eat it - unless I decide I want a huge amount of soup each and every day (it sounds good to me and my stomach has more than enough capacity to have 1 liter soup as the first course of my OMAD day. but I don’t often eat that amount anymore, I used that when I had less substantial vegetable soups. not like meat soup is substantial to me. it’s odd. in the past I got satiated with it, no matter what. now it just triggers appetite and hunger). And eating the lungs is fun, not so great but fun, variety. But I surely won’t try hard to clear the bones even to the extent I did this far. Let’s make the cats even happier :smiley:
But the upper, bony part of the torso (IDK if they have a special name in English as in Hungarian) is extemely fatty for making soup of it. I can deal with it, of course but it’s not ideal, maybe I will pair those parts with leaner bony parts. Like the neck, that has no skin when I buy it and it’s the other dirt cheap part of the chicken, a tad below chicken thigh on sale.
Chicken is nice. Little almost-nothing, can’t satiate me well but it’s okay for me now as one type of meat. I probably will get bored of it eventually…? But it won’t include the soup. That is wonderful.

Tomorrow I bake(? is it the right term?) sausage and its much less wonderful siblings with blood and liver (and a lot of rice. both of them has it). I will taste the latter too, being me, at some point, I don’t know when but I obviously focus on my tiny half-sausage. That’s 53g pork so I put some proper and significantly bigger (like, 10 times as much meat per person but Alvaro eats meat so slowly that he will understand I will eat more of it) pork shoulders (that was on sale with only a tiny plastic for huge slab last time and I liked how it looked. no idea what it is like but it can’t be bad) into the oven as well.
I feel ready to eat meat again, after today with 80g meat in total… Yesterday was quite serious though.

But I am not sure about chicken now. It boosted my food intake yesterday but I was so very satiated for long and I could’t eat much today. Still, it’s better to use chicken sparingly. And I will go for turkey, usually.

So I ate and I have Perfect Satiation and Chill. And Christmas lights. Or just lights, 120 warm white LEDs. And these costed less than 2 pounds of beef (unless the leg on sale I got last Saturday). LED lights got super cheap while I wasn’t looking… Technology is wonderful.

Twelve days of Christmas, mmm… Could I eat 12, 11, 10, …, 2 and 1 thing on those days? Sounds too restrictive but maybe not. These are mere numbers, they may be so many things… Pieces, grams… Maybe not grams, that’s super tiny. But I could eat 12 chicken hearts or something. I never bought chicken hearts in bigger amounts because I always chose my favorite, liver instead. But there is no problem with chicken hearts. Oh this will be nice.

(Karen) #608

My brunch Chicken and King Prawns sauted in butter with garlic pepper and grated mature cheddar stirred in while saute-ing … was delish

Dinner Neck of Mutton braised in a watered down spicey chicken sauce… picture shows last two pieces cos I forgot to take pic prior to eating, but they were not in that dish for long as I couldn’t resist. Hmm this piccy won’t upload… never mind you will just have to imagine how tasty it looked.

I went to the butchers today and got some beef short ribs, shin beef, rabbit (w/o the head lol) and asked about the neck of mutton and he said he’d just got some in this morning yay he didn’t have to ask me twice if I wanted it!!! A bit of trial and error as to how long to cook it but 3-4 hours ended up doing the trick, tender as. Next time I buy it I will slow cook it overnight.

Such wonderful sentiments VE! I so agree with you. It is all about the people and interactions vs. the ‘food’ ya know :slight_smile: We all can make ‘any food’ an absolute joyous occasion!! Love what ya wrote!!

WOW just a fabulous post on this day CK!

I know one thing that those who are truly grateful for what they do have in life, also find alot of kindness to share with others :slight_smile: So as we share we help and we grow as humanity should!! Kindness and gratefulness for what we have sends it outward I hope for all! Wonderful post from you!!

LOL it is just a play on words and nice thing is as we all do Carnivore for the month of December we will eat ALL the meat and seafood we need at all times :slight_smile: Love the 12 hearts, or 12 liver thoughts, make sense with the theme of it all :wink: For me tho Dec will be my normal ZC ways but might do ‘12 days’ of ‘more steak’ to make me happy and fit the theme :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

wow that pic is fab and I bet you were so happy and enjoying woofing that down LOL

(Karen) #613

Absolutely delish. Love frying the roasted chick. Takes less than a minute and keeps so tender.

(Daisy) #614

This is my version of the high fat version from Becky niles :smile: i improvised with the pumpkin spice :heart_eyes:
the regular carnivore muffin recipe from carnivore yogi I believe is 4 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of fat, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. You might enjoy “spicing” up that version instead if you don’t do a lot of fat :smile:
I eat a very high fat ketogenic carnivore diet, so I’m used to the fat!

(Daisy) #615

We deep fried a turkey in lard for thanksgiving. Today was a pretty emotional day. I’ve always spent it with my family, so it was rough coming to terms with today actually not happening with them. But my husband and I worked on the garage until 2. Then my youngest and I started on our feast! I wanted to give them everything they love on this day. We roasted potatoes in butter and herbs. Made deviled eggs, stuffing, green beans, rolls, gravy and more pumpkin spice carnivore muffins. I didn’t get to photograph my plate, but it had a turkey leg, 2 wings, some breast, 3 deviled eggs and the 3 muffins, covered in kerrygold butter! The eggs, I made with the new keto mayo I had bought, grey poupon mustard, bacon, and cheese!
image image image

(Daisy) #616

I don’t know why my photos keep flipping!

I smear it thickly on smoked salmon slices then roll it up inside a slice of Jarlsberg cheese. Then I throw it in the bin.

Nah, just kidding. Then I chomp on it like it’s a cigar.

Did I join the navy?

No, I have been off navel gazing in between waves of work.

Care: Post and linked podcast may contain triggers or be stressful to read

My goddaughter is going off the rails. She is 15 years old. Decided to drop out of school. She is so smart but is in to doing stupid things. She started smoking this year. Found herself a bad boy boyfriend who beats people up. Not her I hope. And I hope not for his sake, as I will hug him. A bear hug. This situation has caused me some extra stress. Stress likes to pile on when it sees its family. I hope to get to chat with her one-on-one this weekend. I have so many questions but am aware enough to get her chatting and then sit back and listen. Some of this relates to an interview I listened to with Bitten Jonsson who is an addiction therapist in Sweden.

I looked at my goddaughter. She was given everything as she grew up including lots of treats. She was sporty and quick-witted and never had, and does not have, a weight problem. The therapist says there is a chain of development in addiction. It may well start at sugar. Maybe before 5 years old. Then teenage girls become body image conscious and that can lead to fad dieting and taking up smoking for appetite suppression. This can lead to anorexia nervosa, or excess caffeine intake (now that ‘sports’ drinks are spiked with that drug). Those sickly sweet caffeine-spiked sports drinks start to get mixed with alcohol at social events as friends start to become more important than family and peer pressure grows. This in a brain that has not much pre-frontal cortex development and very limited risk management centres. So risks are taken, and the polite or politic term is, life experience is gained (hopefully not with lifelong regrets).

The therapist talks very interestingly about healing a brain physiologically with good nutrition (keto or no sugar eating). It may take a minimum of 2 years to get the biochemistry and physiology correct enough to start in more intensive psychological therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy. Wow! 2 years minimum. Because the topic I was listening to was food addiction it became deliciously complex with clashes between psychologists, disordered eating councillors and food addiction therapists. A main sticking point being around dietary restriction and the danger of dietary moderation never allowing a brain to physiologically heal. The discussion spread out to replacement addictions that occur. How anorexic people often become bulimic. How recovered drug users often become coffee addicts. How recovered alcoholics become addicted to sugar laden foods… ad infinitum and combinations of these complexities. Add social media and dopamine as well. Ketogenic Forums is my Facebook and Instagram methadone.

I wonder if my goddaughter is on this track?

Then came the navel gazing. All the discussion was diabolically uncomfortable when I turned the spotlight on to my self. I did not like what I saw. It made me wonder if zero carb carnivore is disordered eating? It looks that way from the main stream. But we look at them and lament that they are unable to see their disordered eating. And how do you help someone when it is always such a challenge to help one self? Especially with relapses, imperfections, goals missed and self inflicted shame.

I am drinking too much coffee. But I would love to find a reputable online addiction score system that may help indicate if I am an addict. Or, if I have disordered eating. Is there one on Diet Doctor?

Breakfast today was at 2pm. “Circle of Life” omelette = roast chicken refried in ghee and mixed with 4 small eggs into a chicken and egg omelette. I melted about 100g of triple cream brie on it.

Last few days I did find bacon and eggs for breakfast. But there have been staff workshops that were catered with muffins and cut sandwiches and sushi. I dabbled in those but did not trigger over eating. Sleep has been solid but nightmares have been frequent. I have also eaten some fruit = 2 oranges. I wake up feeling like I have been running. And you guys can probably tell from this rant that the dietary change, even slightly in my eyes, has changed the temper of my posting. So I am determined to post this. So, I can come back to it and learn from it when I have got back on plan.

I’ll eat two beef sausages and some eggs before a work function tonight.

Hope to catch up with the goddaughter tomorrow and listen to her stories.

Consider before listening. Care: I found this podcast confronting and revelatory:

and from that feast in the pics I bet you did make it a special day!

I love the ‘dark hooded figure’ in the chair watching the turkey fry LOL

there are other things you eat like cigars too…your famous egg roll ups which you need to market and become a gazillionaire HA

No I don’t see zero carb as ‘an eating disorder’ in that a disorder is a bad thing ya know. something to harm the body. ZC never does that, in fact it is the opposite. It takes the ‘bad azz sugar’ from our bodies and heals us from sugar ingestion that rots the body. I sure agree addictions abound in everything and ‘our personalities’ are effected by eating sugar and non-nutritional foods etc…but in the end I feel like we can put it all into ‘what ifs’ or ‘shades of this gray way or that gray way’ when talking this type of situation, as with all issues in life ya know. Do we go too obsessive in something, is that always bad? or do we not do enough to help ourselves with our food intake in this crazy world of horrible food production?

I will always look at zero carb eating as healing and health, I can’t put it as an eating disorder cause if it is a disorder, it is the only disorder I even adopted that ever saved me with better health ya know.

So sorry on your Goddaughter. omg kids can make ya wanna pull your hair out for sure. with the outside influence, the bad boy guy, UGH I feel for ya cause his words are probably like scripture to her ya know…ears closed to all but him and boy that would make any adult wanna go batshit crazy. I truly feel for ya helping to deal with this stuff. BUT AS MUCH as we want to help loved ones and all, you can’t let their lives effect your control. Yes you can be emotional and stressed to help but you can’t let that type of situation take you down either. Everyone, to me personally, is meant to walk their own path in life ya know, even if you or I don’t like it LOL but in the end, give great guidance and keep that door open for her and everything might change up into better situations for her and all. Wishing her the best…being young is rough for some.

My kid is 15 right now but her personality is more mild. I wish she was more outgoing like me but in the end, her having this very mild personality to me actually is a savior LOL I know I won’t be dealing with these types of situations cause she shies away from mean bad boy or bad girl types. Doesn’t like those who are too tough. She is an artsy/crafty sensitive type and finds others like her personality so I am happy that she hasn’t gone down that route at all. I am getting way very lucky with her and can only HOPE I don’t go into situations like you guys are dealing with when it comes to a teenager!

and if healthy eating was all it took for teens to be ok, then we would have no troubled teens LOL cause everyone would force ‘good food’ onto them and cut sugar back immensely :slight_smile: but yea while diet is key obviously, I don’t think it is end all to any teens developing years ya know. just a personal thought on that one. Everyone finds their outlet, their way to grow into adulthood and it is such a personal direction ya know. So many factors come into play and while good nutrition is key to the body and mind truly, it won’t be the end all to any of this development into an adult either. It is just a darn tough situation all around and I feel for ya dealing with stuff like that.

------------------------------good carnivore morning

our filet mignon was stellar.
our shrimp were over the top delish and thank goodness I made a ton of them cause the 3 of us woofed those bad boys down fast HAHA

hubby had sweet tater and kid had roasted veggie skewers with her plate.

no dessert. no one wants it til later when they scavenge the kitchen and kid ended up baking choc. chip cookies and hell I wanted every damn one of them, but I didn’t :slight_smile: the smell tho ya know LOL just wanted to eat them all but I can’t go there. Sugar intake at this stage in the game makes me so sick, ain’t worth it.

So had a fab eating day

food was:

12 oz NY Strip steak
few slices taylor ham
filet mignon steak
alot of peel/eat shrimp in old bay seasoned butter

I did well on the seasoning tho. family loves it that way and I never use it when I eat my shrimp, but I made it the way they love it for the holiday and the seasoning settled well with me…so came thru ok on that :slight_smile:

that holiday is done. check. onto one more big eating day for Xmas and done deal. Love I get thru holidays ok now :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s not important as everyone can handle me disappearing for a while… But Alvaro got into a serious accident and we can’t even visit due to covid… I stop heating as I don’t care and he isn’t here (I was freezing yesterday but that was another world when I was still a hedonist) so you can imagine how high priority is eating to me now. I won’t cook, I can’t pick the eggs (I don’t have the phone numbers, just the location and we have covid times) and I just wanna wake up from his nightmare.

I go to his Mom who lives in the same city as the hospital, take the roasted pork (it was much defrosted meat, I had to do something with it) and I don’t know.

Now Amy is worried because of us, not vice versa, she left the hospital and a dark part of her life, it seems. But why would 2020 end well if it started and continued so very not well for us?

I barely slept, I went to bed late and the police came early. I have no idea how I will sleep but I don’t function well now.

I probably won’t even have christmas this year. But I won’t complain as long as he will heal eventually.