NoCarbvember Adventure!

Yes I absolutely understand this too what ya wrote about how you feel.

I found ‘me’ in zero carb. This plan has never failed me at all as long as I eat no plant carbs. Yup my scale can waiver a bit if too much sodium or dairy happens, but the whole zc plan never ever fails me on ‘true gaining’ lbs. this late in the stage for how long I have been on plan.

Yea stress is a killer for many of us and it sure can effect our bodies!

I never like an UP on the scale either but one thing that amazes me if I just hold plan, eat my zc food as much as I want, when I want, eventually that scale gives me a small drop that I am wanting.

I used to hate the scale on low carb eating…now on zc I actually like my scale. I never figured that would happen LOL I have to say I am so comfortable on this eating plan that I just don’t question it anymore, carnivore eating is my future :slight_smile: I kinda like that certainty now for me…makes me very calm in my eating.

You are newer into zc so you just hang in there :slight_smile: A big giant glass of water with ice will beat your lettuce that will bloat ya LOL It is hard to ‘drop the usual patterned’ eating from before as we transition into not eating those foods. I had the same. It would be summer and I would be thinking, omg a watermelon would be so good on this day, and then I would think, I rarely ate it before, NOW I want a darn watermelon and all it is will be a monster sugar fix that would then make me eat more junk HAHA One thing I always did was just remember what the food ‘did to you’ if it ‘did anything’ cause I rely on that ‘when I want something’ from my past. Not saying you can’t go back to ketovore if ya want kinda thing, but if you want to hold zc then what I did was truly ‘chat out to myself’ why I shouldn’t eat XYZ. This helped me thru alot of times I wanted to eat other things. Just rambling on a bit about how I changed over and held zc. But you sure have eating options if you wanna switch around a bit.

----------------good carnivore morning

food yesterday was
5 country style pork ribs (smaller cuts than my monster ones I buy)
10 oz. ribeye steak
1 burger patty
1 tin of sardines

I dropped pork kinda for a good while but now I am loving pork again. Just gonna eat it more til the day I decide I don’t want it as much :wink:

Holding my 2.2 lbs down for the month. Happy about that.

Noticed I am drinking a bit less water, I do that in winter time. Colder I drink less so I will be watchful to drink well. I always carry water with me everywhere, I am never without a water bottle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but lately I am just not drinking as much so will make sure I do…I function best on alot of water per day.

Thanksgiving is rolling around and we 3 in the house settled on eating filet mignon, big pile of peel/eat shrimp, and making veg/tater skewers as side for them and few dinner rolls for them. My mom and his mom bowed out cause of the covid crap so we 3 are alone and just gonna eat well and call it a day.

other than that, all is fine in my zero carb eating world, can’t ask for more than that truly!

(Vic) #542

Dinner

(Daisy) #543

@Fangs I love ham, but that ham was super loaded with sugar!!

My next day was another, WAY better buffet. Made my heart and my belly happy!!! It was an Asian buffet, which is not something I usually would be able to talk my husband into, (and he didn’t love it) but oh my goodness, it was so good! Buffet after buffet. Hibachi grill. Just pure deliciousness. I’m sure I got some sneaky carbs and hidden sugars but I did the best I could. I ate 2 more plates of mostly seafood and sausages image image

(Daisy) #544

Today was a nice tbone, some additional beef fat (not shown), liver pâté, bone broth, raw round steak with raw egg yolk, and a couple attempts at creating a delicious no sugar egg tart like I had at that buffet (both fails lol… they were good and all, but not “wow”.)

(JJ) #545

Feeling pretty ‘off’ today.
The very thought of eating anything stodgy/fatty or meaty repulses me. I guess I just won’t eat.

oh you like ham. I never was a ham gal LOL but yea some are sugar loaded for sure and are smart to pass those by!

your food pics are great! Yea eating out at buffets means some of it does have some sneaky carbs in it but hey, life is gonna go down that way and I don’t give that a second thought, but like you I pick and choose the best in options and eat up and enjoy!!

yea this is normal for us! Many times newer on plan we all hit this wall. What ya wanna think is different, when this happened to me, could not eat a steak or burger at all I opted for seafood. Or some chicken. Or just ate up some bacon or eggs or ‘just anything I could handle and enjoy’ vs darn steaks or burgers LOL Just cruise thru it but eat something else if ya can ya know…but yea, your body is adjusting and changing and this is a normal step for many…you will come thru fine I am sure!

There is no I won’t eat cause you get salami, deli turkey, beef sticks, tuna cans, sardines, tons of chicken wings, shrimp/oysters/lobster-- whatever you love on that and fish, tons of fish options if you eat them and heck breakfast sausage, bacon, eggs, go to fast food and get some burgers or grilled chicken breast or ANYTHING YA KNOW LOL you just eat what appeals to ya if the fatty beef stuff is annoying you right now. It is ok. Just eat carnivore foods that work for you right now and believe me, you WILL want that other fatty beefy stuff again :slight_smile:

------------------good morning

yesterday food was

12 oz ribeye steak
some taylor ham slices
some leftover chicken finished off now
monster cheeseburger patty

I am bloated up. I got sodium hit, I salt shaked hard, drinking less water than normal and I double cheese that big azz burger LOL

it is funny but a 1lb. of bloat on my body or so feels like 20 lbs to me. I don’t bloat anymore but when I rarely get a bloaty feeling, omgosh it is just an icky feeling to me anymore. No biggie tho…more water for sure and take a few salts off my salt shaking :wink:

None of the above is worrying in any way to me ya know…just another zc day, the bloat will leave today and all good for sure. Just marking down how I feel with the bloaty I woke up with and not gonna give it anymore chat. All good. All will auto correct itself :slight_smile:

zc on everyone. from the group in general we are doing very well thru NoCarbvember.

(Karen) #547

Off to work the late shift just after midday so taking my pack up to see me through.

9oz beef brisket
1oz medium cheddar
0.5oz x/mature cheddar

Bought the wrong one yesterday by picking up the coloured cheese by mistake. Ah well just have to do till next shop.

Got a very large chicken roasting in the oven in prep for tomorrow. Not finished at work till 10pm tonight so may not feel quite like putting the next brisket in the slow cooker when I return home. See how I feel later.

(Tony) #548

Sometimes in the evening I feel ‘hungry’, it’s a feeling in my throat but the thought of eating something carnivore makes me feel sick. I take this as a sign my body doesn’t need food. Probably just my mind looking for a dopamine hit from some carbs.

I the past I didn’t question that this physical feeling wasn’t real hunger. Perhaps that’s why I am overweight :wink:

(Vic) #549

Lamb and bone broth for lunch.

Amy (Bubby) says hi and she will come when her health gets sorted out somewhat and feels like to do keto/carni again. She’s at home again, at least and eats whatever she wants and can, it’s complicated a bit. And poor girl is suffering from the heat. It’s not even summer yet in Australia but it’s super hot where she lives!

My weather is nice though. Not today, I couldn’t go out as it rained and now it’s all wet but November comforted me after the rainy October. It had such a perfect weather for walks in the forests nearby! It was unusually warm but we finally had our first proper frost.

So, I am back. I will think about things as my off times went horribly unwell in October and November. I should learn to make them properly, it’s one of the main reason with this month. Then I lost motivation, that was fine, had supply and hunger problems, relative visit… And things got epically messed up. Especially regarding the consumed calories. My old skills I barely met in the last years emerged… Oh well. I will figure out how to do things significantly better eventually.

I hope I won’t eat anything today, I ate a ton, seriously.

My SO’s mom made more chicken than usual on Saturday. Food at the previous visit was lacking, one chicken leg for me is well, nothing. Now there was that, a whole (stuffed) chicken and even a nice pig tail soup! I never ate pig tail before. The soup was quite tasty, the skin was soft like butter on a significantly higher room temperature we have… And there were meatier parts too, not exactly the little tail anymore but it is sold as that. Not the best meat, it was lean with separate fat next to it while I prefer things like pork chuck but it was welcomed in my soup :slight_smile: Well, after, doesn’t matter. Alvaro was complaining when we mentioned pig tail but he got calmed when got the separated lean meat… He hates meaty bones while I find them fun! I even like to play with chicken neck sometimes, he consider them cat food. And a great cat food it is - after I ate the easily accessible meaty parts :slight_smile:

It’s rewarding to eat chicken, we make 4 cats quite happy with the tender bones with a little meat and whatnot on them… :smiley:

My relationship with chicken meat changed. My chicken-hating decades are over, I gladly eat this tender, cheapest meat now and then. Not too often, chicken is too boring and useless (its satiating effect is super low if it’s me) if eaten too frequently, even the expensive higher-quality one, it’s tastier, yep but still, it’s just chicken. I am a pork person for sure.

We done our biggest shopping of the year, I got so tired… But we have supplies. We even bought beef! It will be the first ruminant meat in 7 months? More? November couldn’t pass without eating beef.
Blood sausage and sausage to fry, chicken, turkey drumsticks, chicken liver and a huge amount of pork! And they all fit my freezer, awesome. Except the sausages, we will fry them soon.
I got almost all the vegetables and fruits and mushrooms from the freezer and canned them (or made Alv eat them). They were pain in my ass since months. So I still have space! Great. The mini freezer deal is off, oh well, we will buy a huge fridge eventually, ours aren’t in top shape anymore but it works well for now. So we simply don’t have vegetables in the freezer anymore. It’s a new era.

So the remaining time will be even easier than the first 2 weeks. I didn’t want it that strict originally but after my last days… It’s better that way and I don’t miss anything either. My carni days are way more hedonistic than my non-carni days.

But in December and beyond… I don’t want to make a serious challenge again. I don’t like restrictions. I never could do keto for long either (well I blame the carbs now, with reason but it’s not only that).
I need things to come naturally to me. With some training and tiny challenges but if a stupid part of me feels I restrict myself too bad, even if it doesn’t feel bad at all… That may cause a backslash.
And I do feel that being very close to carnivore works better than the strictest way I am willing to do for a while. I find it an okay idea to try it for November, I need to try things, I need some fun training, I was curious and I need to keep many things in mind if I want to feel as healthy as possible longer term. Not too strict, not too relaxed… Balancing is a bit hard for me… But I will get better.

I surely would eat if I wanted to eat just something else. Variety is highly important for me and sometimes it means I must have something very not typical carni food. I have various stuff, wet, dry, a bit bread-like… I don’t always want a significant amount of meat myself but I can do wonderfully different things using eggs. As it’s meat or eggs, dairy and fat can’t make a dish, their role is secondary. I am very happy with my sponge cakes lately, it’s just properly dry and neutral for me when I can’t imagine eating even more meat or egg in its simple forms…
Fasting isn’t often an option for me, my body is very demanding even when I hate all food in existence. That’s hard sometimes.

Thanks so much for telling us about Amy!! Appreciate the update…I was worried and thinking of her and was about to knock off a message to her more worried, but now ya got me calm on that. I will still message her to chat a bit :slight_smile: but thanks for telling us how she is doing. So happy to hear she is home!!!

(Kellyn ) #552

I roasted some bone marrow yesterday for the first time to eat. I actually bought some before but forgot about it and it went bad before I could eat it. I tried it and just couldn’t eat it. I guess I am just not ready for that in this journey. I made a steak instead. My daughter and I are getting a COVID test today before heading up to VA to see my parents. If negative we will be heading up Wednesday night. I plan on making a lot of hamburger patties to take with me to stay on plan. I plan to only eat the turkey from the Thanksgiving dinner.
Mississippi Roast today for lunch. Also ate some BBQ that a drug rep brought to our office minus the BBQ sauce.

Hey all. Haven’t posted in a while. Been working some longer shifts with inventory and all. So, hubby and daughter #1 both got deer. A button buck, and a massive doe. The doe had nearly 2 inches of fat to cut through. Hubby said that was the largest deer ever- male or female - anyone in our family has ever shot. My daughter butchered it, and got backstraps that were just massive. She took roasts off, and then the front quarter/shoulder. Her goal is turn much of the venison into jerky. She didn’t have room for the shoulder-roasts w bone, so she wants us to deal with it. Plan is to roast one of those shoulders and then do a back-strap/tenderloin off our buck, alongside the turkey and grouse. Not too worried about side dishes with all that meat to eat!

I’ve got Wed off work, so early morning- I’ll shoot the turkey, pluck it, etc. Then, commence to cooking everything that can be done ahead of time. Today is cleaning day.

Been putting a scoop of the grass fed collagen peptides in my coffee every morning, and feeling fabulous. It seems like my skin is smoother, and joints feel amazing. Removing the oxyalate-containing foods from the diet does absolute wonders. Have the urge to do some intense exercise today, too. Weird, but kinda cool.

Hope you all are doing well, and carnivoring on!!!

(Vic) #554

Keeping it simple today :wink:

Meanwhile I had a tiny tiny OMAD meal… 6 courses sigh I just can’t do things simpler. Oh well, it was simple enough :wink: My body surely got enough energy for a longer fast but I am just not like that, I got a bit hungry. It’s better to have a tiny meal in this situation especially that nice leftover chicken soup was included. Soup is perfect for a dinner OMAD meal for me.
Adequate protein, probably. Yep. If I go way below 1000 kcal, I can manage that too :smiley: Well I think I had another day before in November, it’s not totally impossible for me to eat very fatty… Just rare as I prefer my normal fat/protein ratio and almost automatically eat like that all the time.
HOW people manage to eat below adequate protein, I always wonder. Especially on keto. Yep, we are different but still…

I mostly ate eggs and sour cream, I almost missed them already :slight_smile: I had enough meat in the last days and I will eat chicken tomorrow anyway. And liver, probably. So much leftovers… :slight_smile: That’s good. I always loved leftovers, less work! And we always make food we like and we both can eat our fav dishes many times, even in a row. With our multi-course main meals there is still a big variety.

Alvaro is very willing to eat the egg white based carnivore stuff I like to make now (as he has stuff to eat with it. he can’t just eat that normally like me…) so I will be able to use more yolks for myself this week! Not like I didn’t eat up my share of the egg whites today… It’s nice especially the sausage flavored ones. Alvaro gets the cheesy ones as he is into cheese more (but all have some cheese).

I keep my cheese consumption low for now I guess, it’s a bit boring even using a variety of cheeses. I actually wanted to make a meatier week too in November and I have very very nice supplies and variety now. We will see.

(Daisy) #556

So I definitely got some sneaky sugars over the weekend, my poor face is paying the price. 3 pimples already and a couple more may appear. It is my easy “tell” if I’ve had sugar. Pinocchio’s nose grew if he told a lie, my face breaks out if I have sugar! But it’s ok, I had a lovely weekend with my family, made the best choices I could make and have no regrets. Not like I’ll be seeing anyone this week anyway lol. I did go grocery shopping early this morning and found some major steals at the shops! (Also bought way too much cheese that I didn’t need… still in the forth phase lol). But my Walmart sells this delicious lamb and they had 5 of them on markdown for several dollars off a piece!! Plus a wagyu ribeye on markdown!! I have been dying to try it, so I bought it and included it in my omad today. Honestly I probably will not buy it again, even on markdown. It tasted like it was soaked in A-1 sauce, even though I cooked it literally on my ninja foodi grill with only salt. But I’m glad I got to try it on markdown instead of giving in to full price to try it. The rest of my omad was beef bacon (first time trying that!! It was delicious!), pâté, butter, cheese, broth, quail eggs and chicken eggs.

Yes Jules, the salad days are upon us. It’s just after 5 am and the sun is bright in the sky. It’s going to be a hot blue sky day.

Carnivore is a lot easier WOE in the Winter. But fasting is a lot easier for me in the Summer. Fasting without being hungry that is. Not forcing the fast.

Work commitments require me in the toxicity of the city for 2 weeks. So here is another observation. It is much easier to maintain a WOE in the countryside, closer to nature. I think environment is important in health pursuit.

Which brings us to sleeping and feeding and work. Last night’s sleep was not refreshing. It’s remarkable because I have been sleeping so well when at home on the Bear Farm. It can affect my eating. Eating late and eating too large a meal after 7pm does not good sleep make. Then that poor sleep sets up potentially poor decision making in a less than optimal nutrition environment of a University campus. I need to be on my guard. But being on my guard, being vigilant is a stress, that releases cortisol and that drives hunger and sweet cravings.

Also my workload is sedentary desk work and brain taxing heavy. When I work from home on the farm I work at the kitchen table and look out on to the property, in particular the food forest where I battle tall kangaroos in a mind game for the health of the trees. So, I do some work and then am up an about, out in the sun, making tree barrier cages, watering, collecting wood, pulling weeds, composting. Then back to the computer at the kitchen table for some more brain work. But then the Labrador needs a walk at the beach. It’s physical activity in balance. On campus, I am expected to be working at my desk. Walks only to cafes or cafeteria. I choose the cafe the furthest away from my office.

One week left to do a good job for one’s own health in NoCarbvember.

Yesterday’s food:
Black coffee with cream in the morning + magnesium and Vitamin B3 and Zinc supplements.
Meetings.
12 noon break fast. I went to the campus cafeteria. They mainly had stodge. I think that is a delicacy that originated in England? There was periperi chicken with chips (fries). They said that because it was ‘the special’ I could not have just the chicken. They were adamant. They being the severe looking catering staff who don’t like their mass food production jobs. There was a lamb curry. I wasn’t falling for that, as I know the ‘thickener’ in the gravy would be a starch. Besides, you can’t have that ‘meal’ without rice. Vegans and vegetarians were well catered for. I left and went to a cafe a bit further on. There I found some meat and salad sandwiches I could more easily deconstruct. I had an iced long black coffee. See how easy it is to fast in the city in summer. Life in the fast lane.

Dinner: 8pm = veal cooked in olive oil. One glass of father-in-law’s home made Shiraz.

I need to find some eggs and bacon STAT. Eggs and bacon are a more important supplement than magnesium and zinc.

(JJ) #558

@Shinita I don’t “know” Bubby from here on the forums, but hope all is ok with her. I am in Australia too and the heat has really been getting to me as well. I am in NSW, one of my husband’s friends is zc, but other than him, I don’t know any other ‘local’ zc’ers. I am not on social media except for this forum and one other though, so I guess there are probably a lot of people out there who actually are. Your lamb chops look delish!

Thanks for the replies re not wanting to eat. Some good perspectives on it, I really value the experiences and insight that you each bring to this group. I ended up making a plain chaffle with egg and mozarella and eating it like toast with butter and a smear of vegemite on it. True, Aussie comfort food done zc for when you are feeling under the weather! I have a slight bit of upper right quadrant abdo pain this morning and still feel very much off the idea of heavy, fatty meat. I haven’t eaten yet today (it is only 9am though :wink: ) , but may make a tuna chaffle sandwich later on for dinner as that does not make me feel sick at the thought of it.

Right, prepare for photo spam. Today is day 30 zc for me. The photos this morning have me in no make up and the light seems a little washed out, so they do look a bit different to my day 1 photos which were taken in the afternoon. I suspect once I put them side by side there will be little difference, but I did it anyway and can compare down the track if I keep going. My youngest son took them. I wont obscure my face as although a very private person typically, I think it would be pretty tricky to stalk me down to this forum and this particular thread

gall bladder? liver? R kidney? I get that ache as well. As a gift for when I am being ‘very good’ on strict ZC.

(JJ) #560

hee hee my tanline on my legs is from my cycling shorts, it will go much darker yet now that summer is upon us, just as well I am not a beach kinda person.

@FrankoBear a university campus would have to be one of the worst places to stick to eating well. That younger generation ( I am aware that makes me sound very old! I am a grandmother though, so do feel entitled to sound like an old biddy) eat so much processed food and so many of them to me, look ‘doughy’ as if they play too many computer games and eat too much rubbish. Well done you for going in to your two weeks in the big smoke acknowledging that it will be challenging, just being aware of that is most likely a huge part of successfully navigating it all. You are in WA aren’t you? I would love to go to the West Coast one day and walk the Bibbulmun and see the sun rise and set in a completely different way.