No Weight Loss

(Mike Glasbrener) #81

A half hour walk is a good start. It should not be a problem wrt keto. Most athletes doing workouts transitioning to keto who burn a lot of calories in a workout struggle to maintain their level of exercise schedule until they are fat adapted. You won’t burn too many cal. this way. However, if this is your intro to getting exercise conditioning might be a limiting factor so build slow.

I’d eat as few carbs as you can for a while and keep protein low. The “nutritional deficiency” will not cause any problems short term. Additionally there are many nutritionally good foods to eat that have high fat content and a vitamin supplement might be helpful. If it sucks while doing it then you know you’re on the right track. “Keto flu” is real and sucks. But it should only last a few days. When you get it tough it out, get electrolytes and plenty of fluid and eat fat when hungry. Oberto sausage sticks, anchovies, mussels, sardines, other beef sticks, pork rinds, etc… Focus on high % fat content. Don’t eat nuts and needless carbs (anything with carbs) while working to get into nutritional ketosis. After you get through the flu something should start happening on the scale. Like @richard has said, if this doesn’t work then maybe you’re the exception in that there’s some other underlying medical condition…

(Linda) #82

@jellybelly
I don’t track anything I eat so can’t tell you how much, but I get my fat from sardines in olive oil, eggs, avocado, cheese, butter, bacon, coconut oil, olive oil, lard, fat off meat and when I’m finished eating my meal, I’m known to lick all the fat off the plate!

I take magnesium supplements and get my potassium from avocados. Essentially, I eat real food and just make it as fatty as possible. I don’t try and make substitute Keto desserts or fat bombs.

This really is about just working out what works for you and trying different things until you are comfortable, what works for me or anyone else you ask won’t necessarily work for you. Just try different things and see what happens and if it isn’t working, try something different.

(James storie) #83

Let me remind you if you don’t know, there is no essential carbohydrate level for humans. Our bodies can make all of the sugar we need. Animal products are a much better source of vitamins and minerals. If you’re worried about vitamin c, eat liver.

Are there aany good affordable sources of fat that are minimal in protein, not sauces or oils?

(Richard Morris) #85

Pork belly, Lamb flaps, any mammal shoulder joint is generally higher fat than the rest of the body and slow cooked and pulled makes a fatty meat that is more than 2/3 fat, Avocado, Olives, butter, mayonnaise (although that is technically a sauce), plenty of cheeses … like a triple cream brie is 4:1 fat to protein. a Royal omelette is 2:1 fat to protein, add butter and cheese and you can end up 4:1.

Go talk to a local butcher.

(Tom Seest) #88

Every time I think of a butcher, I think of this: (Thank you Tommy Boy)

I cant afford to buy from butchers they are too expensive for me

(Tom Seest) #91

Technically, he might want to listen to a butcher…

But, there may not be any science to back up my claim.:joy:

(eat more) #92

oh martin…you can change your name but not your “roadblocks”

you CAN be successful with keto but you have to open to more than what you think you “know”…some of which i think you are completely misunderstanding…even with “proof”

it makes me sad that you may genuinely want help (and ppl are trying) and you won’t get out of your own way :cry:

(Todd Allen) #93

Are there aany good affordable sources of fat that are minimal in protein, not sauces or oils?

Yes.

Have you ever tracked?

Potassium requirements are quite high, 4g or so I believe, can you get that from avocados?

Unfortunately keto foods tend to be expensive; it’s the processed rubbish we are trying to avoid that is cheaper.

I don’t know how you can truly tell if you are fat adapted. If after 3 and a hlaf months I’m not then I’m not sure what else to say. Symptoms such as tasting metal in your mouth or feeling super energetic etc are not feelings I have had. Some people talk about it as if they were popeye eating spinach

(Mike Glasbrener) #96

I can only tell you from my experience and it wasn’t just magically one day I was fat adapted. It was a gradual realization. I went through all the stages. Keto flu, for me it was more than 2-3 days. Keto rash, I still have it but it’s much, much less annoying (alomst 3 months now). Fat adaption, for me I gradually cared less and less about food manifested as skipping fatty snacks because I wasn’t hungry culminating in a unscheduled IF because I wasn’t hungry (having another unscheduled one today). I also had PISS for 3-5 weeks before the weight loss resumed at an accelerated pace.

Of course YMMV.

(Tom Seest) #97

The least expensive way to determine if you are “fat adapted” or in “Nutritional Ketosis” is just to quit eating. If you can go more than 24 hours without being hungry, you’re probably in Ketosis. If you can go a couple of days without true hunger, you’re probably adapted. If you can go weeks, you’re more deeply adapted, and you have extra money to go visit the butcher.

Now that is what I call a win win.

I personally can’t go 24 hours.

So if one is insulin resistant, and not tapping into body fat, does that mean one must eat much more dietary fat to compensate?

Can one be fat adapted and insulin resistant simultaneously?