No weight loss on keto

I was referring to calorie intake

(Adam Kirby) #22

Hmm, what would such a diet translate to? Would any kind of zero carb meat diet even get to 3.3g/kg LBM, or do you have to be guzzling down protein shakes as well? I’ve been doing mostly meat and reaping good benefits in weight loss while feeling fine, but now you got me kinda worried, lol.

(Richard Morris) #23

Yeah it’s pretty much chicken breast, shellfish, egg whites and protein shakes.

I did Burn Fat not Sugar’s macro calculator and it suggested for me to lose weight to eat an amount of protein that I later calculated is around 3.32g/kg of my lean mass. So those levels are definitely being recommended online. But I suspect most people who recommend that others eat those ranges, are probably themselves eating 1.5-2.5 g/kg LBM.

(Adam Kirby) #24

Ah, so bodybuilder cutting diet. Yeah that’s not me, I eat fattier cuts of meat, e.g. bacon, steak with fat, also eggs cooked in bacon grease. No protein supplementation. I feel very satiated for most of the day eating a single meal, so hopefully that’s on the reasonable side of a higher-protein diet.

(Richard Morris) #25

There’s such a broad range of human responses to minimum amounts of protein, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we all had different maximum amounts, and ideal amounts. We have to find out for ourselves what works for us.

My only objective is to make sure that everyone gets at least the minimum adequate for nitrogen balance, and stops short of the maximum where ammonia intoxication becomes an issue … and then finds out what amount within that range works for them.

(Brian) #26

Excellent point, Richard. Even defining the terms, “moderate” or “high” or “low” can be quite the challenge. And it will mean something different to the 140 pound lady who wants to lose 10 pounds, the 500 pound man who needs to lose 350 pounds and the 185 pound bodybuilder that wants to get ripped.

Isn’t this fun? LOL!!

(Kartik) #27

@carolT l I just am sold on the metabolic and other tertiary benefits of the ketogenic diet as a long term strategy.
@BrianL That is a great data point.

(Kartik) #28

@richard Thank you - really well though out, referenced and elegant response to this conundrum of mine. I wish there was a decision tree diagram that encapsulates all the lovely insights you provided up top. I will get a Fasting Insulin test and proceed from there. Thanks to everyone else as well for their thoughts.

(Kartik) #29

@richard Just a quick follow-up that has me in a conundrum.I got a fasting insulin test done and have an 8.8 which is bang in the midle of that normal range. Not the 2 I had hoped for but thankfully not more than 10 either. In such a case, which would be more beneficial - LC Higher Protein or continue with LCHF? Obviously, all the things you suggested to improve insulin sensitivity will be things I continue forming habits around but curious to pick your brain on this a bit since I seem to think I am in no man’s land when it comes to weight loss.

(What The Fast?!) #30

Where do you live?!?! I’m dying to find an IM doc who knows keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Dr. Phinney says that when stuck like this, the first thing to do is to reduce or eliminate carbs. The second thing to do is to eat more fat. If you increase protein past a certain limit, your body will start converting the excess into glucose, using a process called gluconeogenesis. This glucose will stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin, which will knock you out of ketosis. The recommended limit is 1.0 to 1.5 grams of protein daily per kilogram of lean body mass. If you don’t eat fat until you’re no longer hungry, the body thinks it’s starving and lowers your basal metabolic rate to compensate. This is why, Dr. Phinney says, it’s important to eat fat to satiety.

(Brian ) #32

Hi, Andrea…I am in San Diego, CA…I am trying to talk to other docs in the area to get them on board with Keto. I hope that there will be a lot in the future!

(What The Fast?!) #33

I’ll message you…but I used to live in SD and would happily fly in to see a doc I can trust!

In my lay opinion that is very consistent with an A1C of 5.3. Again no expert but ideal would be under 5 I think. Making an assumption that your A1C was taken after eating Keto for 6 months. Any idea what it was before keto?

(Kartik) #35

It was 5.7 for me. I can’t seem to find the paper on Google Scholar that Richard mentioned up top - has someone found it?

(Brian ) #36

Where are you located? Maybe I can find a doc in your area who does Keto and save you the trip! Best of luck to you, keep up the good work

(What The Fast?!) #37

@BrianL Vegas!

Sorry to hijack Andrea’s request, but as long as you are recommending keto docs, do you know any good one in or near austin?

Also, I know this is unrelated to the subject matter, but, maybe we could start a thread with all the doc recommendations from the keto forum people, that would be so useful. Before anyone says this, I know there is a low carb doctors thing in Jimmy Moore’s page, but there are so few, and most of them are not covered by any insurance,and I am sure there are a lot more out there, it would be cool if people could recommend their own docs and stuff. I would love to start it, but I don’t have any to recommend … I am giving my current doc a copy of good calories bad calories next time I go (a few days from now), so who knows, I might convert one :grin:

(Kartik) #39

It was 5.7

(Jen) #40

@KetoLikeaLady I’m in Vegas too. Let me know if you ever find a keto-friendly doctor here! My doctor’s not “against” keto, but doesn’t know anything about it. And like every other doctor I’ve ever gone to, she seems to know very little about hormones as well. One of these days I’m gonna find a good doctor!