No sweeteners at all, anybody else?

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #55

Here’s a question. I just chewed a handful of sugar free gum and tested my ketones and blood sugar. The results were .7 mmol/L ketones and 69 ml/dL glucose. The ketone level is pretty typical for me at this time of day, in fact I registered a .8 just before this little “experiment”. I’m going with little to no effect there. The blood glucose is definitely low though. I’m usually in the 85-95 range. Am I seeing an insulin response here?

(lldb) #57

Yes! for years I fought the idea that the artificial sweeteners were that bad - my thinking was its way better than having the real sugar and many doctors said that as well – but the Obesity Code finally made it click in my head and I quit cold turkey. Still, have a 12 pack of diet coke sitting in the pantry that I need to get rid of and won’t drink it. I had no idea before I listened to the book that insulin was making me fat and that the artificial sweeteners still spike insulin. It’s all been a little confusing but a real eye-opener. The weird thing is, once eliminating sweeteners, I don’t crave it as much as I thought I would.

(Brian) #58

Thanks!

I wonder what the percentages are, people who are like you and have no reaction at all vs people who grow three heads, fart razor blades and eat the family cat when having a tiny bit of artificial sweetener of choice. Well, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but I do wonder. I use a little stevia in my coffee and generally a stevia / erythritol blend in my baked goodies. I’ve not noticed any negative effects with normal portion sizes.

(back and doublin' down) #59

What about stevia leaves? brewing them with other teas to add sweetness?

Had some, couldn’t figure out how to use them, threw them away. Now kinda wish I had them to experiment.

(Terence Dean) #60

Insulin response is related to carbohydrates though, the index is just a comparison between foods that cause a rise in blood sugar levels. As this page says:

The Glycemic Index is an indication of how quickly a specified amount of food will cause a rise in blood sugar level. The amount of food is the portion that contains 50 grams of carbohydrate (200 calories from carbs). So it is really an indication of how one carb compares to another.

Certain foods cause a spike, or rapid rise, in blood sugar level. This spike causes an insulin response…

(icky) #61

I agree that glycaemic index and insulin response is not quite the same thing.

But are there any tables showing insulin responses to artificial sweeteners?

I assume a table showing the glycaemic index of the sweeteners is as close as we can get?

(back and doublin' down) #62

tons. I found this one on the fly…image

(icky) #63

Ohhhhhhhhh :star_struck:

I did not know that…! :+1:t3:

Does anyone know of really good overviews showing the insulin repsonses to sweeteners (more than those 4?)

(icky) #64

I found a chart on DiabetesCouncil.com showing some sweeteners in relation to sugar.

Is the blood glucose they are showing basically the same thing as the insulin response, or NOT?

Or is the blood glucose just a measure of the glycaemic index again?

grafik

(icky) #65

I found the study that your graph is from:

It seems to have been discussed on the forum before:

(icky) #66

In that other thread, someone who sounds pretty knowledgeable said:

So that means it’s good, right? That both Stevia and Aspartame had good results re glucose and insulin response…?

(Brian) #67

Haven’t tried it yet but want to at some point. My sister-in-law had a stevia plant in her herb garden a few years ago. Interesting, but we never had time to do much with it.

(Robert C) #68

Did not read all up to here.
Want sweet out of my life pretty much (as of now) after several fasts (which ended with fat cravings instead of sweet cravings).

(Karen) #69

I want to see one for sucralose. Not powdered splenda. It has other unwanted sugars. Splenda zero is pretty free.

K

(mole person) #70

I won’t touch any of them and for multiple reasons, but mainly because we just have no idea what they do to our metabolism ultimately. Jason Fung’s clinic strongly recommends letting them go, and my gut tells me they know what they are talking about. I don’t deny myself entirely. I’ll have a bit of something sweet from time to time, but it’s always a natural sugar and it’s pretty rare and usually only minutely sweet. But the thing is, my tastes have changed. 85% chocolate used to seem bitter to me, now it seems like heaven.

On the topic of recipes and such without artificial sweeteners, does anyone here have a good keto BBQ sauce that doesn’t use any?

(CJ Young) #71

I made some ribs that I used a dry rub on and I think that might be the way forward. A little bit of carbs in dried onion and garlic but overall nominal. Just don’t use a sugar rub and you’ll get all that delicious flavor without adding all that sweet.

(Karen) #72

No bbq sauce but I bought a sugar free rub that’s quite nice.

K

(icky) #73

When I started Keto about 12 weeks ago, I was quite interested in the questions of “what are good/ acceptable sweeteners?” and “what sweeteners should I use?”

Now, 12 weeks in, I’ve pretty much stopped caring about “sweet” tastes.

After a few weeks of not getting any sweetness, it seems my brain has gone “Okay, yah, whatever… meh”

I’ve completely stopped thinking about sweetener questions and have not bought or tried any more types.

If it changes again, that’s okay.

But right now my brain is “Sweetness - what’s that again?”

(Maggie C.) #74

Different brands of Erythritol have different tastes. The first Erythritol I bought tasted horrible and was made from corn. Now I buy Anthony’s Foods Erythritol made from non GMO cane sugar and it tastes like a mellow version of cane sugar. Over the months I’ve cut out Stevia (tho I’m sure diff brands have diff tastes) and just use Anthony’s Erythritol if I have need for sweet. I’m starting to take my coffee black now, which I never thought I would. With keto my taste changes quite a bit. Now the only thing I really crave is chicken wings covered in hot sauce. mmm

(CJ Young) #75

Yeah I find the longer I do Keto the less and less sugary stuff I have naturally. Now I always consider what is the highest quality Soppressata I can afford.