No sweeteners at all, anybody else?

(CJ Young) #1

Is there a version of Keto, like a subcategory or something, where people don’t use any artificial sweeteners or sugar?

I’ve experimented with the sugar alcohols and they’re fine but after doing lots of reading and based on other research that’s been done on the long term effects of artificial sweetener consumption (some of which is inconclusive and some that points to increased risk for diabetes and other possibly negative effects) I’ve concluded that for myself I don’t want to use artificial sweeteners. Also I can’t tolerate Stevia. I know that for some people cilantro tastes of soap. For me Stevia, even in small amounts, ruins everything. It is so strong and has a burnt plastic taste to me. I can not stand it.

The only sugars I’ve chosen to consume are maybe a 1/2 cup of berries a week (at most, I rarely do that) and a TB of real maple syrup (coming in at 13g carbs per 1 TB) in the occasional recipe to cut bitterness in sauces or what have you. Anything I put it in results in a serving having 1-7 net carbs per serving. Also dark chocolate of 70% or higher. I made some “ice-cream” in this fashion that came out really well with 4g carb for a 2" cube of ice-cream. It’s a small portion but I’m working on improving the macros on that.

I guess I’m just wondering if there is a group of people who are doing this type of Keto? I know that for most people this is unrealistic and I totally understand why most folks are down with the artificial sugars. Truly, no shade. I’ve just decided it’s not for me and I think more then anything I’m curious if there are others who are trying things this way and if you have any interesting hacks or recipes?

(Jennie Bardsley) #2

I’m eating a paleo/LCHF so rarely have dairy and don’t use artificial sweeteners at all. If I have visitors so need dessert, I usually make a platter of berries, macadamias and dark chocolate, but if I need a special occasion cake I will sweeten it slightly with some honey or maple syrup. (Sounds pretty close to what you are doing).

I don’t know about any groups doing this specifically but certainly within the paleo communities there are plenty of people keeping their carbs very low. If you are looking for a like minded group of people you might like to look at some of the paleo groups.

(Terence Dean) #3

Yeah I’ve already asked this question because I don’t use artificial sweeteners. So for me I’m using honey in my coffee but overall I have cut out anything that requires sugar. No soft-drinks, cakes, sweets, chocolate, bread (that is converted to glucose). So far I’ve lost 8.2 kg in nearly 6 weeks, not hungry at all, works for me.

(Jerrett Scott) #4

I don’t use any sweetners at all

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

I’d just call that a strict keto.
The only sweeteners I use is 1 stevia stick when making a cup of tea. I don’t make many treats.

(bulkbiker) #6

Not trying to be snarky but you are having sweeteners or sugar anyway. You could reduce a bit by having 90% or 100% chocolate rather than 70%. And not having the berries but if you are doing ok the way you are and enjoying it then why.
The other suggestion would be a zero carb / carnivore way of eating I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have chocolate or berries and certainly not maple syrup. But if you are doing ok as you are then why change.
I find your question a bit odd… sorry don’t wish to be in any way confrontational just struck me that way.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #7

I don’t use any sugar, artificial sweeteners or syrups at all. The only sugar I get in my diet is from occasional portions of berries or cherry tomatoes with green salad (no more than 4 portions per week). I tend to be an all-or-nothing person when it comes to sugar (pretty sure I’m addicted to it) so choose not to use it in adding to food at all.

(CJ Young) #8

It’s not so much a question of how that I asked, I’m happy with how I’m doing it and not necessarily looking to change. I gave the examples of how I do to give my personal parameters. I’m not surprised that there are people who do no berries or chocolate and I’m aware of carnivore.

I have just been looking around for people who have a similar ethos around artificial sweeteners in the lowcarb/keto world and while there are certainly people who preach limiting artificial sweeteners I hadn’t seen anybody who actively did nothing at all or even just limited themselves to berries. I was curious if anybody came to mind, anyone with a different approach to sugar then just saying that artificial sweeteners aren’t ideal and then make a frosting out of erythritol. A certain blog or protocol that I just haven’t come across.

I’m comfortable with what I’m doing and I’m in Ketosis so I’m not looking to change anything specifically. I was curious of examples of others and what other peoples mindset on sugars is. What choices do you all make and why?

(bulkbiker) #9

Ok well in my case I try to have a few as possible. Either artificial sweeteners or sugar.
Here in the UK there is a low carb ice cream called Oppo which I have have sometimes as a treat and I have frozen raspberries with cream as another dessert. Apart from those the only carbs I get are from green veg.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #10

I’m still on my way to getting fat adapted, so I’m limiting artificial sweeteners to what happens to be in sugar free products I occasionally have. I don’t eat sugar free treats or desserts, just stuff like the occasional diet coke or powerade zero (neither of which have I actually had any of since starting keto, I’m just leaving that option open), or sugar free gum. I’m really hoping to largely break myself of the need for anything sweet by the time I’m fat adapted. Messing around with artificial sweeteners right now feels kind of like giving methadone to a heroine addict, so I’m just going to leave it alone for 3-4 more weeks before starting to sample keto friendly desserts and treats.

(Karl) #11

You do you - gotta stick with what you feel comfortable with. But I still love my liquid sucralose and it’s never gotten in the way of anything. I use it liberally in anything I want to make sweet, particularly coffee. I drink Monster Ultra energy drinks (and others like it). I chew sugarless gum. I did all of this during my 140lb weight loss, and it never seemed to interfere with my progress on any level.

I think it’s actually kind of funny how all of these inconclusive rat studies have people all worried about artificial sweeteners, yet we CONCLUSIVELY have T2D people walking around everywhere you look from overconsumption of real sugar - and see these weird attempts to try to shoehorn the dangerous stuff into life.

Yeah, I’ll stick with my poisonous Sucralose. We do agree on one thing though - Stevia is awful!

When I did keto for several weeks last year, I had first constant and then intermittent cravings for sweet stuff. I had been a true carb addict though. This time around (only a few weeks in now, assuming not adapted yet) one really notable difference is that I’m not having any cravings for sweet stuff at all. I’m hugely thankful for this because I think my cravings are part of the reason keto was so much harder to sustain last year. My own theory is that my indulgence in sweeteners continued my body’s conditioning to enjoy sweet stuff and made it harder to resist foods with real sugar. But I think for some people, sweeteners help stay on keto, in which case they should have at it.

(Brian) #13

It’s funny how different people react to different sweeteners. I use stevia in my coffee without any issues whatsoever. Paired with the coffee, I don’t get the bitter aftertaste that some do.

Some find erythritol to be sweet. I don’t find it nearly sweet enough but do find it doesn’t like me (intestinal distress) if I overdo it, it takes quite a lot. The best option for me is to make sure the erythritol is mixed with another sweetener, usually stevia, to give both the bulk (usually for baking) and the sweetness.

I go through periods of ebb and flow with the “sweets”. There are times when I have something most every day. And there are days that I have none at all. It is a pretty rare day that I don’t have my coffee, though, and that almost always has stevia in it. (SweetLeaf with vanilla in it is my go-to.)

(icky) #14

Is there a good overview on all sweeteners on the forum?

As to how they relate to Keto?

I’ve never used ANY artificial sweetners before in my life so I’m lost as to which ones are good/ bad, ESPECIALLY in terms of keto.

I cannot bear the taste of Stevia either.

I bough Erythrit (spelling?) last week and it’s okay I guess, but has a weird alcholic? chemical? taste that isn’t ideal. I guess in something like Brownies, the taste might be masked. I’ve also not tried baking it yet to see whether the baking process gets rid of the taste.

I’m also confused in the supermarket when labels say “sugar free” and then there’s some xxxx-ose in the ingredients. I can never work out is this a keto-compatible xxxxx-ose or and incompatible one?

Is there a keto overview of all yay and nay artificial sweeteners for the totally confused?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

I’ve never used an artificial sweetener. I crave salt.

(RL) #16

I use no sweeteners.

My sugar intake is limited to bacon when I buy the regular instead of the sugar-free, uncured brand, my 1000 island salad dressing (4g of carb per serving), and the sugar alcohol in whiskey. That’s it.

(CJ Young) #17

The one thing I know for sure about Erythritol is that it’s super dangerous for dogs, even in small quantities, so if you have pets make sure they can’t get anywhere near it or access any think you make with it.

I made french macron’s with powdered erythritol. They were ok but yeah, have that chemical taste. That was the last keto baking I tried using artificial sweetener in.

So, I’ve also been giving thought to creating more savory deserts. So, I’m thinking about an icecream where the cream is first steeped in ginger and rosemary and then made into a mousse before freezing. Perhaps with little chunks of dark chocolate mixed in. Or instead spice it up with cayenne, make a “hot” icecream. I also have a concept for a cookie with blue cheese and bacon, the things I’ve made so far are too crumbly but taste nice, and offer a different texture on the plate with a meal. Also, shelf stable which is great.

I like the idea of trying to create a unique cuisine that really stands out on its own. Not that ice-cream and cookies are huge deviations, but removing the sweetness sort of is.

You’re thinking of xylitol. It’s toxic because it produces a massive insulin response, putting them in danger of severe hypoglycemia leading to seizures, coma, death. Also in some dogs it causes liver damage. Erythritol appears to be safe in the studies they’ve done so far but I wouldn’t go feeding it to a dog on purpose.

Your ice cream idea sounds amazing!

(CJ Young) #19

Ah, yup you’re right. Sorry about that, I cross those two in my mind a lot.

(Leslie) #20

I love this topic! So much passion and individuality!

I don’t have a sweet tooth but I have to tell you that I am adverse to anything in my food that begins with the word artificial, so no, no sweeteners for me at all.
My husband, however, does like sweet tea and coffee and has been adding L-glycine to his morning brew as per a suggestion made by the Dudes.
He seems to really enjoy that and he does have a sweet tooth.

My thinking is that natural sweetener will spike insulin and artificial might be toxic somehow, so I would prefer not to chance it. For me this WOE is more about making me healthy and not just making me happy so I have become somewhat obsessive about keeping it as clean and as simple as possible.
However, that’s what is working for me. I think we should all just do what works for each of us. If it stops working then make a change, not a drastic change, just a tweak until it’s working again.

KCKO