No-quit, No-carb No-vember (30 day carnivore experience)

(Karen) #177

Went dancing this afternoon. Fabulous day great music great floor lovely people. Had a super time.
Ate 2 beef burgers same as yesterday tho forgot to take a photo had bacon first

Had to have dinner late cos dance didn’t finish till 5pm and by the time we get out and drive home it was nearly 7 by time i got home. Ate bacon and sirloin steak followed by the remaing chinese pork ribs

Cold, slightly sunny day. 6 Celsius, I will take a little walk later when it will be warmer…

Yesterday I ate some more at 9pm, chicken liver and a tiny scrambled egg (22g egg. egg sparing is serious now and I had this tiny leftover) with ham and sour cream. I have a very creamy sour cream now, pricier but it was on sale in the village supermarket and it’s very very very smooth and perfectly sour. My SO’s Mom’s favorite, I can understand why.

Final macros for Sunday: 105g protein, 83g fat, 5g carbs, I am pleased. And curious how long I will last but probably won’t be any problem, my high-cal Saturday probably still have some effect, I function that way, no idea why and how. I am satiated at the moment but it’s not even 10am yet. I am only hungry in the morning if I go to bed hungry but I never ever do that. If I need to eat at 2-4am, so be it but I need to be satiated when falling asleep. I never would wake up until morning but my sleep would be horrible. One lesson was enough.

I will put my November data in a spreadsheet already and figure out what was my average day for my first week, among other things, the end of the second one is near too…

Oh my animal list is still tiny for November.
Turkey, hake fish, chicken, pork, the first two was minimal. Chicken liver, pork spleen for organs (and whatever was attached to my more than a chicken leg).

Oh my, it was hard. I had lunch around 3pm. Took longer than an hour, I was insatiable. I have just given up at this point, my belly starts aching, maybe I have drank a tad much, sometimes a creamy drink gives the extra lil push… And it’s cold! Not inside but outside and it’s gloomy.

I ate everything I could, in the end almost all the pork chuck but I had no interest in it today, sadly. Good food, not very hard to eat but wasn’t into it. Need a break from pork again so I will cook a hen soup tomorrow!

I started with this and ate much more (6.5 sponge cakes in total, another half grill sausage, this is a long one! - never buy it again, it has such a weird sour taste even though I still kind of like it even though I don’t like that flavor part… so it can’t ruin it but it’s still weird. probably too much garlic and herbs. or IDK… I ate cheese, sour cream, lots of creamy teas and whipped cream too. and pâté, butter and ham. I don’t think I have anything else right now).
If it’s not an OMAD meal, IDK what it is.
I want blissful fasting and chill for a day now.

[…]
I have tracked. Oh so it’s a probably slightly overeating day. I know the reason, I pushed my fatty dairy a bit too much but I lacked tempting protein rich items a bit (and eggs for lots of egg milk)… In the end I had to get my protein, of course.

134g protein, 158g fat, 10g carbs. Lots of cream. 586g aka 1.3 pounds of meat.
I call this a big meal.

7:27pm. I still feel I ate some rocks… Okay, that probably would be worse, never ate rocks… But it’s a heavy feeling. Oh well, I am satiated and go for a 24+ hout fast now!

(Karen) #181

100 stair runs first thing then downstairs for coffee and books in the lounge. Too wet outside even though rain had stopped. Plumber here this morning, a CrossFit friend to sort the kitchen sink waste pipe outside that some little rodent had gnawed a big hole in!

Brumch was at the cafe, 2 eggs 2 sausage 2 bacon and 1 black pudding … it was very nice but i forgot a pic :roll_eyes:

Dinner was 1 very rare sirloin and 2 beef burgers with butter followed a bit later with bacon n 3 hard boiled eggs.

Currently trapped under a paper mountain avalanche/ end of semester administration and grading. Bacon and egg breakfasts. Mix of lamb, beef, and fish evening meals. Wake, coffee, sunshine, work, break fast, coffee, work, stretch, work, meat meal, try and work, wind down, meditate, sleep, repeat.

In Moovember 2022 I had just discovered the biltong shop.

Back in NoVegEmber 2021 I was chatting about oxalate dumping and changing seasons.

(Karen) #183

Coffee and books first thing no stair running today. Just had an easy morning before going to have my crowns fitted in the afternoon. So glad i ate a fairly godd sized brunch before going …had 2 beef burgers and 2 fried eggs lovely…after work done on teeth Dentist advised a soft meal… oh eggs it is then :roll_eyes: the 2 rump steaks had to go back in the fridge.

So i had 3 eggs scrambled with butter. Think i will be hungry later ! May have to pop out and get some fish or prawns … i may just take a rain a rain check on that one. :wink:

Another shock at how much it was… thought it was going to be at least 400 quid less than the bill came to. Just have to keep telling myself it is an investment and i suppose if i had been keeping on top of them over last 5 years i wouldn’t have noticed the cost quite so much! Blame it on Covid Lockdown and my Stroke and i don’t feel quite as bad plus this dental clinic are doing a far superior job than my old nhs dental centre. Both crowns are done now and immediately felt great unlike when i have had crowns fitted in the past, when they felt like they wern’t quite in right place!

I apparently have hungry days. And it’s hard when I barely have eggs and a bit bored of my meat or not but it gets ready late… Dairy adds fat like crazy and it’s not satiating, oh well.
I had around 160g protein in the last 2 days, at least today had less fat, yesterday it went up quite high… 2 overeating days in row but today wasn’t carnivore in the end. And I had many coffees too as I am terribly bored of tea and didn’t learn how to drink mostly water yet…

Today I had leftover pork shoulder, a little pork chuck and chicken from the soup (along with some soup), 2 Vienna sausages with cheese (hard Austrian cheese, we tried it for the first time, flavorful! I got bored of Emmental, it is a too unsalted and dull thing to be my main cheese. a bite here and there is fine), leftover sponge cakes and crustless quiche muffins (at least I call them quiche. subtly cheese and sour cream flavored egg sponge cakes, more like… they are so, so good! some very smooth, creamy sour cream or Greek yogurt works best!). And whatever I forgot but mostly these.

Still lazy to do the spreadsheet thing and my photo isn’t nice enough to show.
So sleepy, I want a nice sunny day with a big walk, I plan to check the mushrooms we left last time, shouldn’t forget the camera!!! I tried to figure out the 2 mystery mushrooms but wasn’t successful yet.

(Robin) #185

You had me at coffee and books…

(Geoffrey) #186

Well I got back late yesterday from my pheasant hunt and I was just too wiped out to post anything.
8 hour drive to Kansas, two hard days of walking through thick grasses and cover. According to my pedometer app I covered 13 miles in two days. Most of the time the grasses were so tall and thick it was like trying to wade through three foot snow drifts. Then an 8 hour drive back home. Whew! This old man is beat and sore. But if it wasn’t for carnivore I wouldn’t have been able to do it.
Sad to say though the birds were scarce. There were 10 in my party and only five birds taken. I only shot one time and missed so no chinese chickens for me. That’s ok, they’re just lean white meat anyways, I’ll stick with beef. :grin:
And speaking of beef. The highlight of my hunt was our dinners in the evening. We went to this place called The Black Bison Pub. Wow! They had what may be the best tasting ribeye that I ever had. At least that I can remember. Now I’m a Texan and we Texans take a lot of pride in our cattle and beef but I believe these Kansas folks have got us beat in this category. Man, so tender, so juicy, so fatty and chargrilled on an open fire…perfection. I ate one each evening I was there.
On Saturday evening on the 11th, when we went to eat there, I broke my alcohol fast with a drink of Jameson’s in a toast to my fellow veterans. I noticed shortly afterwards that I had two mild heart palpitations. Well that tells me all I need to know about alcohol now.

One for @PaulL

Yes, good to toast important memories and absent friends.

Alcohol is definitely a heart arrhythmia trigger, an arrhythmogenic.

The ER doctor explained to me when I presented the first time with atrial fibrillation that it can happen with a lot imbibed (toxicity), or with just a small amount (trigger). So, if drinking alcohol and risking heart palpitations drink like Goldilocks. This is not medical advice.

Science:

Spring time here. Every sky a painting.

(Karen) #189

Well i ended up having the very last 2 cheapy burgers from the freezer cos i knew they would be quite soft to eat and then remembered i had corned beef in the pantry which is quite mushy to eat and ate half a tin so i didn’t go hungry last night. :grin:

Today i got up had my coffee and read books in lounge. It was bitterly cold outside even tho dry and bright… it was a bit windy and the wind was bitter. I had been watching the clouds passing by just after 7am and thought they were moving pretty quickly.

100 stair runs when i finished reading and then after messing with the phone and computer had an early brunch at 10.40ish of 2 Beef Burgers. Tasty. Then got ready for tea dance this afternoon. Just local.
Forgot pic but i am sure you will remember yesterdays pic lol.
Dinner was the 2 rump steaks i couldn’t have yesterday and they weren’t too bad plus 3 rashers of bacon, i have had better but i remember they weren’t the best of steaks. Hey ho they need eating up. Just following it with cold beef pieces. Came home via The Company Shop and there were a few bargains lol

(Judy Thompson) #190

Thank you @PaulL. I called the Drs office and the nurse said I shouldn’t worry. I’ll try some of the flavoring too, especially if the liquid stuff is deplorable. I really appreciate knowing that progress has been made in this field and it should be a lot easier to take!
This week has been a fairly easy one. Teaching yesterday and Monday and today we went to San Antonio for music errands, picking up my bow from the luthier and buying a new sound system, one of the tall column amps. We play at big venues here, where we need more coverage, and we were so impressed with these new systems.
Here’s some food from the past few days.

Salmon and steak, Sunday

Stack of chaffles, yesterday

My chaffles yesterday. Too Much! Next time I’ll just fix one.

Chaffles again.
Today we stopped for a late lunch. A bunless bacon cheeseburger for me, forgot to do a pic, though it was nice. When we got home I broke out the liverwurst though.

(Geoffrey) #191

I need to get me a Chaffle iron.

(Geoffrey) #192

Ate two meals today but didn’t take any pics. First up was a brisket and monterey jack cheese omelette after my morning hunt. Then this evening three slices of brisket and some buttered chicken.
Oh, and speaking of my morning hunt, I was successful. I may not be able to bring home the pheasant but I can darn sure bring home the deer. Got me a decent buck this morning so that’ll be two for the freezer so far.
I’d post a picture but I’m not sure how that would be accepted around here.

I have always read about how wonderful pheasants are and when I tried them, well they are okay but I prefer my pork… Especially a slab of pork vs peasant I need to clean, it’s much work :smiley: (Doing the same to piglets is much work too but the result is nicer.) Big animals sound better though killing them would be tough. (I didn’t kill the mentioned ones either.) I am sure I could do a lot for survival though. Never needed it.

I had wonderful pork I was bored of. Very odd combo. Tasty, juicy, very well roasted, everything I like - but I just need a break from pork (and meat in general) now, apparently.
So it wasn’t a carnivore day but of course it was mostly that.I don’t have many plant-y options or desires, after all. It would have been super close to carnivore if I had more than 2 eggs. I ate them up. Alvaro brings more tomorrow so I plan pure carnivore no dairy (or minimal dairy) days with more confidence… I missed my eggs when I got bored of my meat and things got tough. I eat whatever I can but I prefer simple days with very satiating items (mostly meat but some eggs are good too).

I had delicious crunchy hen cracklings though. More than what is in the pic :wink:
I am super displeased with this one but I don’t put effort to make a photo to abandon it every time now… :frowning: Yep, it’s effort, I normally don’t assemble a lunch, I just eat one thing after the other, often starting to cook in the middle. But it doesn’t look as nice as it was.

I ate cheese and all my other eggs too (1 and a white! I appreciate every egg white in this situation). And my extras. I didn’t even eat the whole meat slice and I planned to eat a way bigger piece. I could have made myself to eat it, without force but I didn’t want to and it is a waste not to fully enjoy this beautiful roasted chuck. I put tandoori masala on it as the pork may be tasty, it still becomes even nicer and fancier that way… The hen was lovely, it is tasty unlike those normal big young chicken. I always use a hen for soups as it makes good soup while chicken doesn’t.
My thigh was roasted for 2 hours without the skin on, it got a bit dry but it didn’t make it bad at all :wink: I still won’t get off the skin next time, it’s a pain to do when it’s still raw… I was merely curious about the numbers, I needed the skinless weight to track. I shouldn’t track when I eat chicken or rabbit but sometimes I still want to.

We had a wonderful sunny day, not too cold. My night could have been better, Alvaro didn’t notice Ginger when he left to work and the little sh*t started to scream bloody murder about 1 minute later, waking me up. It happens sometimes. Cloud would have been asleep in my bed for 8 hours but Ginger doesn’t like to be inside when she isn’t even held or fed. Well once he liked the armchair but normally she wants to leave. Or held or fed. She got very well-fed so I stopped giving her food every time I see her. Still far from chubby! She’s fine. But she doesn’t need more fat. All the others are fine too, even Cloud and she tends to be choosy and thin. Probably all the voles, she wasn’t thin even when she refused the food from us. Even the fish, what is with that cat?
Tofu comes home more frequently now, she was super thin before but I made sure to give her extra nice and much food so she is better now. Still our thinnest cat but the others aren’t thin at all :slight_smile: With me eating carnivore they get all kind of nice stuff. From a normal, not super choosy cat’s viewpoint, at least. They got parts of the hen other people may eat and even like that I don’t because they are not meaty enough.

[…]
It’s the next day, still no tracking, I need a break from it very soon… I don’t even know how much meat I ate but I will take a guess, I do know how much pork chuck I had, a nice amount for 1 day and even after 2 it’s not eaten.
Today wasn’t carnivore either, I really can’t stomach much meat now. But Alvaro brought 20 eggs and I ate a lot :smiley: My favorite sandwich (3 warm poached eggs with grated cheese on it. Pickle slices are optional, just like some paprika condiment. originally it had bread but it doesn’t need any, I don’t even try to add my sponge cake buns, it’s perfect without), egg milk, a new batch of sponge cake… Yum. I had pâté and some pork chuck roast. And pancakes but those weren’t carnivore. I really need some nice carnivore pancake ideas, I find cheesy pancakes boring now…

Beautiful, warm, sunny day, I am in pain as 2.5 hour was too long for my leg :smiley: But I have found a lot of nice mushrooms again. Forgot the camera though. Need to identify 2 mushrooms, it’s usually a lot of work but it’s only 2… I had days in the past when I brought home 10 to identify, that wasn’t so good but I was curious :smiley:

(Karen) #194

I tried chaffles once after going out to specifically buy a waffle maker… i couldn’t bear them they were awful and i couldn’t undertand everyone enthusiasm about them. Gave the waffle maker to my daughter.

(Karen) #195

Went for brunch in the Salvation Army charity shop cafe.

Dinner was chinese pork ribs which got a bit charred as i got distracted on the computer, nevertheless they weren’t impallatable! Followed them with 2 small rump steaks…so so!

Then finished the beef bits and corned beef… could’nt allow them to go past their best :wink:

Similar. Egg and cheese never can be truly awful for me but I really didn’t understand the hype, I didn’t even feel any desire to make them again… And I do love eggs with cheese but in some other way.

Finally, tracking is done (still no spreadsheet, I probably will skip that, too much work. I will enter my macros or something and that’s it for now).
I apparently ate 1900 kcal in the last 2 days. Oh I thought I overate like crazy but apparently not…?
380g meat yesterday (I still had chicken, that’s easy to eat), 176g today (sponge cake helps with pâté… my fried pork liver wasn’t good but with enough lard, it’s fine! I still have a lot)… I need a break. At least I had eggs and lots of cheese today… And it’s Thursday so milk too :smiley: And butter. Just because I went for lard today, I had that too.
So I eat fattier and still not too much, therefore my protein is low. Well it was yesterday (100g), I took some non-carnivore steps today to raise it (124? but with my lack of accuracy it may be 130). How was/am I not hungrier I can’t comprehend, maybe fat helps in some situations that rarely happens but it does now. Or my high-cal days helped (but they usually can’t do much with my protein need). Or who knows? Too many potential factors. Well, I enjoy it until it lasts.

I did need a second dinner both days (how low was my protein before that, oh my god…?!) but a few bites helped. Today I ate some more pâté with a sponge cake bun and pork roast for second dinner and I am still at 176g meat (liver counts as always), I used 3 meals to reach that super tiny amount… Things are serious. I look at the photos here and nope, the meat isn’t tempting at all. They usually are, even if I am perfectly satiated or it’s morning when I feel no desire to eat. They are still nice and tempting. But not now :frowning:

So I take a break from eating meat (I will eat some but possibly not much. I don’t even have my usual pork now, stupid supermarket situation. there is no day when I can expect meat there at this point) and come back to carnivore on Monday! I should be okay then, I just can’t get meat until then but I have some pork chuck slabs in the freezer… Alvaro wants one so I really will be low on meat soon and if the supermarket stays unhelpful, well… I still will have this and that, beef liver (but I ate liver all the time now, I may need a break from that too…), beef stew, fish…
The supermarket don’t even have some nice sale on Friday and it usually has. If it has pork sale for Friday and Saturday, it tends to HAVE pork at that time so it’s helpful but the sale price is good too.
But there is a hake fish sale, I suppose I can eat a decent amount of it if I make some tasty sauce… Poor fish needs that.

We wondered about going to the city to buy food but we don’t have a car now but we have things to do (like getting the forest mushrooms I have left :smiley: one should use the 2 weeks in 2023 when there is a decent amount, it wasn’t a good year mushroom wise, to put it lightly. I didn’t even see some spectacular ones. Alvaro likes his mushrooms and it’s a nice variety for him. I pretty much lost interest along with the vegs but I am happy to find some especially pretty, big ones).