No keto flu!

(Suzi Jenkins) #1

My second post.

I have never gone through keto flu (as described …). I am one month in, I have never felt ill, but I do run my 5km run slower, I certainly walk slower, and do not have the energy boost I expected. However, I certainly sleep better, better skin etc. No risk of me giving up, but am a little disappointed.

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

You are suffering from carb withdrawal. It’s common but does not afflict everyone. The folks who feel it do so to varying degrees of severity for varying time spans. It will pass.

Keto is not magic. Whatever your age, you ate SAD all those years. You started eating keto a month ago. It is unrealistic to expect keto to undo those years in a month and to expect you won’t feel anything while it happens.

After the carb withdrawal symptoms go away and the process of becoming fat adapted advances you will begin to notice increased energy. It takes time. Stay the course. It is worth it more than you think.

(hottie turned hag) #3

Nor me. If I hadn’t started dropping weight straightaway and continued to do so I would’ve worried I was doing it wrong.

(Suzi Jenkins) #4

Thanks for your reply! Not going to give up. But I was never a big carb eater - no bread, no fast food, only some pasta (twice a month) and my biggest sins, barley, spelt, root veggies. So I am surprised simply cos I never did a load of carbs before.

So it was really easy to switch.

I do struggle with the fat. Was never a bit meat eater, so I am working on that.

But I am sticking with it!!

(Susan) #5

Just keep on doing what you are doing, Suzi =). As @amwassil said, we ate the Carbage and the wrong things for so many years, we have to be patient for the effects of all that to reverse.

This forum is the place to be, and to find guidance and encouragement to strive to attain the best possible you =).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

:roll_eyes: There are only 3 types of food: carbs, meats and fats. Unless you have discovered something the rest of don’t know about. If so, please advise. Otherwise, I think you ate mostly carbs.

(Marianne) #7

In spite of reading here that fat adaptation could take up to 4-5 months, I thought it would happen for me waaay sooner than that because I have been eating usually less than 10g carbs/day.

I can say after 4.5 months, it’s only been in the last probably three weeks that I finally feel like I know what fat adaptation is. Before, I just didn’t feel I had the stamina to do sustained, more intensive activity (for me, heavy gardening, digging, etc.). Now I feel like I could take on the world, I have so much energy. It’s a wonderful thing; when it happens, you will know it (which I didn’t trust, either).

(Suzi Jenkins) #8

Of course I don’t know anything that you don’t - judging by stuff out there on the forum considerably less!

My diet pre-keto was mostly eggs, fish, salad and cheese. That was my base line, it’s the things I like!! I ate (never cooked) meat when out socially, and the same for pasta (rarely) rice and grains, but never at home.When I started keto and did the good deed of going through the fridge and store cupboard I had virtually nothing to throw away (and I did some very close label reading - the little I trashed was mostly because of veg oils, like mayonnaise etc). Never was a big fruit eater, but now make an effort to eat berries.

So back to my original point, I have begun to buy and cook fatty meat, and to be aware of eating fats (homemade coconut yogurt, avocado, and sauces with heavy cream something which I never ate in my life).

I do not use sweetners, and never have liked sweet things anyway. Have always drunk coffee and tea black with no sugar.

So back to what I said, and indeed I may be wrong, but I don’t feel that I was a big carb eater. I did not and am not documenting intake, but my feeling is my calorie intake is far higher now, and whilst I do not have any signs of keto flu, I am sleeping less, and have now lost 3.5 kg. Also I run, and my times have increased significantly over a 5km run.

So maybe slow run times are my keto flu!

It’s always interesting to hear other people’s point of view. Thanks for your interest.

(Suzi Jenkins) #9

Can’t wait! Energy not a problem, I have never been short BUT my run times really gone horrible - so slow. It’s strange but I don’t feel slow! Yet the clock doesn’t lie!

Looking forward to “extra speed” kicking in - in the meantime have lost 3.5 kg which I couldn’t do for 9 years, so that is a huge plus!

(Susan) #10

Maybe you were lucky to escape this part because it seems you were already eating low carb in general, and a lot of Keto friendly foods. It sounds like you are doing great, and keep up the good work =).

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #11

however

I read and re-read but I do not understand: have the run times gone better or worse?

(Suzi Jenkins) #12

Sorry not be clear - “my times have increased” … from only taking 29/30 mins to run 5km I am now at 38 and once even 42 mins to run 5km! I can speed walk it in 45 minutes!!! I am much much slower - it doesn’t feel bad, but I am significantly slower. :frowning:

(Jill F.) #13

I was a heavy carb eater prior to keto, and I felt like it took a good 6 to 8 weeks before I felt a boost in energy and felt fat adapted. I like to imagine my body running off of fat, like which old layer of Taco Bell from 6 months ago and I getting energy from today, lol. :sweat_smile: It helps me kind rationalize why some days I feel better than others.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #14

Ah yes: my fault and now I understand. You correctly used the phrase ‘times increased’. I subconsciously translated it to ‘performance increased’.

I’m experiencing the same symptoms at about 4 weeks in. I decided from what I read on this forum I will be patiently practicing KCKO for at least 6 months and see what happens.

(Suzi Jenkins) #15

Good to know I am not alone! I power walked 5km in 45 again this morning. So for now I am going to forget running which is making me too depressed :unamused:, and concentrate on bringing that walking time down to close to 40 mins.

Maybe we can check in together in a few weeks, or even months to see if we have broken this side-effect.

In the meantime no giving up for me - there are lots of other positive effects!

(Marianne) #16

Great news - hang in there; it will come!

(Marianne) #17

Don’t let this discourage you; it will return to normal in its own time. Your body is undergoing massive changes/healing.

(Marianne) #18

Your body is an incredible, organic machine that knows what you need, when and how much. It is accomplishing much greater things internally right now, benefits of which you will see. When that time comes, you will be amazed at how many non-scale benefits you experience, in addition to your performance levels.