No fast question

(Capricorn Wolf) #1

I want to do Keto. Can I get into ketogenesis whithout fasting, by just beginning to eat Keto, and how long before I reach Ketpgenic state this way? Thank you.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I suspect that’s what most people do.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #3

You don’t have to fast to get into ketosis. Just keep carbs under 20g. When I started, I got into ketosis by day 3.

Yes, but way faster when u deplete liver glycogen with exercise, then its under 24h.

(Capricorn Wolf) #5

Thank you all kindly.

(Susan) #6

Welcome to the forum, @CAPRICORN_WOLF

If you do 20 grams or less carbs, NO Sugar, have adequate protein, some healthy fats and lots of water, and make sure you keep your Electrolytes up, that is all you need to do at the beginning of Keto. It should also help you get into ketosis faster if you just have three meals a day and do not snack. Good luck, and if you have any questions, just ask, there are a lot of helpful, friendly people here on the forum =).

(Capricorn Wolf) #7

Thank you. I do 2-3 hours of gladiator level weightlifting every other day. Some days I walk a half hour.

(Susan) #8

Very nice, that is great =). The really important thing is to keep your Electrolytes up. This becomes even more important when you are doing exercise, as you are using them up even more quickly. This is an easy way to do that:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #9

Yep, this. I’ve been doing the Keto WOE for almost 11 months and have not fasted, aside from OMAD which I guess can be considered IF. But I’ve never done EF.

(Not a cow) #10

It’s easier to fast after you get into ketosis, and I’m not sure about you, but there is no way I could fast more than a few extra hours, without ending the fast by loading up with more carbs which defeats the whole purpose. I just dropped the carbs below 20 and it took about 4-5 days. Feels great , try it !

(Jason ) #11

Welcome to the forum, Wolf. Check in periodically to let us know how you go. The people here are very supportive and there is massive amounts of information and experiences to discover.

(Katie) #12

When I started Keto I not only felt the same way you do…I was pretty sure than the people fasting were fanatics…

The surprise came after about 5-6 weeks…I just wasn’t hungry. Going on 30 hours fast was no issues at all. I wasn’t trying to fast, I just wasn’t hungry. I’ve done 72 hours a couple times. No big deal

Eat when you are hungry. Don’t eat when you are not hungry. Make sure you ask yourself…am I hungry or just bored? Am I thinking to eat because I used to eat at this time? Or am I really hungry? I think you will find that over time you just naturally gravitate to one meal a day (OMAD)… and maybe even start skipping a whole day too.

Don’t worry about it.

(Susan) #13

When I started Keto, I watched a video on youtube of an older lady teaching post-menopausal women about doing Keto. She was very interesting, and I was new so it was good information for me. When she said to initially try to do 12 hours not eating a day to start, from say 8pm until 8am I thought, wow I will really struggle with that. I was used to snacking in the evenings, and having a sliced apple with peanut butter on it every night as well, (which is of course so NOT Keto!) so I was like wow that will be hard to give up. It was, for only a few days, my body adjusted so quickly and I started out 3 meals a day and was at 2 meals a day in no time, with a 18/6 window. After a while, I started doing 20/4 and some days OMAD and have done many 24 hour Fasts, and some 48 hour ones and 2 72 hour ones so far. Keto just works, and I often am not even hungry at all, and have to remind myself to eat =).

Your body changes over time on Keto, and you don’t have to ever Fast if you don’t want to, it will still work. Over time if you decide you want to, then do it, it is totally up to you =).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Our liver starts producing glucose and ketones as soon as our blood glucose and insulin levels drop low enough. This happens within a few days, at most. What takes longer is fat-adaptation, which is a process of changes at the cellular level, involving getting muscle cells to re-start making certain enzymes and healing existing mitochondria and producing new ones. The adaptation phase generally lasts six to eight weeks, sometimes longer in certain people, and the end result is that muscle cells will have switched from metabolising glucose to metabolising fatty acids.

During the adaptation phase, you will notice a distinct reduction in your level of performance. This is perfectly normal, and not to be feared. You should lighten your workouts, so as not to overstress your muscles while they adapt. As you approach full fat-adaptation, you will notice your performance returning to its previous level, or even higher. At that point, feel free to return to your previous workout routine.

As far as the protein recommendations you will read on this site are concerned, you should be eating at the high end of the range, not only to preserve muscle, but to help you build more. People used to fear over-eating protein, because it was believed that the excess was turned into sugar in the liver, but the real situation is a lot more nuanced and context-sensitive, and when we eat very little carbohydrdate, there is not much reason to fear protein.

(Capricorn Wolf) #15

Thank you all. I did keto once after fasting 5 days, became dedicated, looked great. Been bulking muscle, time to keto-rip.

(Capricorn Wolf) #16

Thank you all.

(JM) #17

Welcome @CAPRICORN_WOLF to the group!

Many supportive members here and all fulled with good advice!

Seem your question has thoroughly been answered above :slight_smile: