Night sweats, tummy cramps and insomnia - a newbie

(Miss Tracee A Harvard) #1

Hi all

So I have recently started the keto lifestyle and I tell you what: I am shocked at the changes I am going through which I mention in the subject line of this post.

The most upsetting of them all are the cramps and discomfort I am feeling. Has anyone else gone through all of this stuff?

I have done research so know they are all symptoms but flip! They’re intense. I hung up the washing this morning. It’s hot and muggy out but I felt like I was dripping with sweat and it took forever to hang it all up!

I hope it doesn’t last for too much longer.

Thanks for reading this far!

(Scott) #2

After the first week I felt fine. I really didn’t feel bad but a bit off. I didn’t go cold turkey but cut out potato chips and fries. Then moved on to potatoes and other sweets. After that I stopped bread. This was done over two weeks so I didn’t get hit by one day I felt great and the next awful. After that I started constantly losing weight and feeling better and better with one exception. Exercise, I had no energy to run. What was normally a six mile run turn into a series runs separated by walks. I was questioning “is keto really for me?”. Then at the three month mark I was running uphill and thought “hey, I am not tired at all”. I assume that this was the start of fat adaptation. That was about 15 months ago. So stay with this and educate yourself. I think I have read every book out there, listened to every 2KD podcast,and started another series. (I like to get educated during my runs and workouts) The first week is the worst and then every week improves over the following six months or more. This is a whole new world for you, explore it!

(Miss Tracee A Harvard) #3

Hey Rclause

Perhaps it’s because I have literally gone cold turkey this is happening so intensely. Think my boyfriend may agree with you there.

I plan on sticking it out but there have been moments where I wonder if it’s keto or if there’s something else wrong.

It is a major transition and I do research a lot and continuously. I am learning new things all the time. But what I didn’t count was how BAD the cramps would be. My boyfriend suggested I add a carb into one meal a day so I don’t shock my body as it seems to be in complete shock. I tested my keto levels and I am definitely in keto.

But it is a huge adjustment that I am looking forward to being able to enjoy the rewards later on.

I’ve taken carbs out before but not increases fat so that will take some getting used to.

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate it.

(Scott) #4

Not sure how far into it but if it has been over a day I would probably just ride it out and see what happens. You get to a certain point and re-introducing carbs just delays, stall and prolongs discomfort. It helped me to eat a handful of Macadamia nuts or almonds in the beginning when I felt I couldn’t go on but now I just don’t snack at all because I am just over that need. Also look up electrolytes because that is what you need the most now. I never did other than increasing my salt intake. In fact I think that was the source of my nut craving. I now once or twice a morning grind some red sea salt into my hand and “pop” it in my mouth. I let if dissolve there and makes me feel better. Some like to drink pickle juice but I find it hard to keep around. With the salt I use and the fat I eat I often refer to keto land as opposite world.

(Miss Tracee A Harvard) #5

Im into day four… I have been told to up my salt water and fat which isn’t that difficult for me to do considering I love water and salt. The fat is the main component on each plate of food so I don’t know… just increase all of them some more I guess.

I have some Rehidrate which I will take tonight. Perhaps it will help.

(Mike Glasbrener) #6

Welcome! Your symptoms don’t sound atypical. Your body is going through a bunch of changes. Keep up on salt. Potassium can help with muscle cramps. However, abdominal cramps may be something else all together. As your gut biome changes some abdominal discomfort is not a surprise.

As you share more detail about background and dietary details the community can help more also.

KCKO

(Scott) #7

Not sure if this applies but if you have had your gallbladder removed I think it may cause some difficulties when increasing fats.

(Davy) #8

Miss Tracy, don’t know about the sweats, but the other 2 are straightforward - lack of electrolytes.
Yes, take more sodium but it’ll help tons if you take the right kind. Take Himalayan Pink Salt or a brand called Real Salt. (or at least get some Sea Salt)
The potassium - take a brand called No Salt or Bulk Supplements Potassium Choloride.
Almost ALL of us get the insomnia…it’s most likely lack of Magnesium. Get Calm , orange or cherry flavor and take right before bed. Sometimes I take Milk of Magnesia to help things move along in your colon the next day. Or any Highly Absorbable/chelated Magnesium will also do. Don’t get Mag. Oxide, as it’s extremely low in absorbable. Even most good Magnesiums are at best only 40% absorbable, so you need to take more than the 420mg RDA…but take them spread out during the day. The only Mg that is 99% or better absorbable is ReMag…but it’s a bit pricey.
Let us know how it goes. If you do the above, getting those specific items, you will soon be happy.

(Anna ) #9

I didn’t go cold turkey. I took it very slow. I eliminated sugars in October. Started to lower carbs in November. Got into ketosis in December. Had a horrible month of carb withdrawal in late December which just ended a few days ago. Now feeling better but I still get an upset stomach some days, I can’t sleep and I’m having hot flashes in the middle of the night, which wake me up. I am eating tons of salt. I put salt in my tea when I’m not eating, I’m salting my food heavily and using lots of salted butter. It is getting a little bit better, but so very slowly. I think in some people it just a little longer. I was a carboholic, this adjustment has been massive for me, so I didn’t expect it to be easy or quick.