Night Cramps - Compression, Another Approach

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

Jun23/21

0315: Cramp in approx mid-point of my left, outer calf. Scale of severity/pain about 3-4 out of 10, so not too painful, but lasted about 7-8 minutes. I applied some Absorbine Jr, which had zero immediate effect, but maybe helped relax the muscle after a few minutes. Did not have to get out of bed, though. This was first cramp in about 3 weeks. I’ve been wearing both lower leg/foot and thigh compression daily. I cut out all potassium and magnesium supplements about 2 weeks ago. Although, I bought two bottles of magnesium lotion, one water based the other oil based, and my wife applies one or the other 3-4 times per week at bed time. I also soaked in a tub of hot water saturated with epsom salts one night. I also, usually although not every night, apply Absorbine Jr to my inner thighs.

(David Cooke) #22

If I drink more than two small beers before going to bed, it’s guaranteed that I’ll get cramps. However since I started Keto they are much less violent. I no longer take magnesium supplements, I get enough in my diet.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

Jul17/21

0400: Cramp started in left inner thigh just above the knee. I was able to stop it immediately by stretching the leg. However less than a minute later got a real cramp in the top of my left foot and ankle. Scale of severity/pain about 1-2 out of 10, so not painful. In fact, I was just trying to ignore it by relaxing the foot, but it persisted so I finally got out of bed to try to walk it off. I walked around for about 10 minutes without effect on the cramp so just went back to bed. It eventually petered out on its own.

When the hot weather started I slacked off with the full leg compression. Big downside it’s quite uncomfortable in hot weather. I’ve been wearing thigh compression, but not daily. These are a couple of knee braces that are too big for my knees but fit well over my thighs. The only advantage is that they leave my knees uncovered so I’ve got more freedom of movement at the knees. I’ve still been wearing my compression socks every day, though.

Today I found French’s No Salt again at my local Save-on-Foods. Hasn’t been anywhere locally for more than a year! So I was quite happy to find it has returned. I’ll be mixing my electrolyte mix again, although I may skip adding magnesium.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

Jul27/21

0415: Cramp started in top of left foot. Lasted about 15 minutes. Scale of severity/pain about4-5 out of 10. None the less I did not get out of bed and in addition to stretching the foot just let it run its course.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

Sep21/21

0345: Cramp started in top of left foot. Lasted about 10 minutes. Scale of severity/pain about 2-3 out of 10. Got out of bed to try to walk it off for about 5 minutes to no avail. Went back to bed and let it run its course.

(Michael) #26

I used to get pretty severe cramps in my calves and hamstrings while sleeping (and even occasionally while awake). I would get them frequently, and if I could get the muscle stretched quick enough I could minimize the pain, but if not, they could be very painful and be damaged for days. I tried supplements and electrolytes, but the only thing that has worked for me (and I VERY rarely get cramps now), is I stretch every single night. A few minutes per leg, mostly hamstrings - but I get my calves too, and if my calves are tight I stretch them specifically as well. I probably was getting a cramp of two a week, I think I have had maybe 2-3 a year since I started regularly stretching before bed.

As a story of interest and as a positive spin. Some body builders used to stress their muscles out so bad to INTENTIONALLY get muscle cramps. When you muscle cramps badly the “damage” to your muscle is substantially greater than from a workout, and when it repairs you get unprecedented muscle growth. So if you cannot get it figured out, just look at it as your are getting huge workout benefits without the effort (just the pain!)

(Edith) #27

How long was it since you had your last cramp? Was it since your last post?

I experienced them often in my teens and early 20’s. Then started taking 2500iu Lichen based vitamin D3 and Jarrow formulas 1000mcg methyl B12 because I was borderline B12 deficient despite eating lots of meat. Then the cramps disappeared. It’s one of those two vitamins.

The Jarrow formulas methyl B12 is the only B12 supplement that actually works and doesn’t give me Acne. I’ve tried many brands of B12 and always fall back to the Jarrow formulas brand. I buy it from iherb and have it shipped to Canada because it’s half the cost than on Amazon.

https://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Vitamin_B12_and_Nocturnal_Leg_Cramps

https://www.google.com/search?q=vitamin+b12+leg+cramps

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

Oct08/21

0230: Cramp started in top of left foot. Lasted about 15 minutes. Scale of severity/pain about 2-3 out of 10. Got out of bed to try to walk it off for about 5 minutes which helped some. Went back to bed and let it run its course.

Yes. I’m only posting incidents. I’m not posting what I refer to as ‘incipients’. That’s when a cramp starts and I’m able to end it immediately by stretching. I’ll note that both incident and incipient frequency is much lower after I started wearing compression socks, incident frequency especially.

(Robin) #30

Michael, I don’t think I could get those full length compression pants on and if I did, I’d likely have to be buried in them! So much work… reminds me of wearing a girdle when I was young. And thin! What were we thinking? But… to your cramps issue. I was having them nightly when I was early keto. Added a night glass of magnesium powder with some salt and voila! Now, I am reliant on the magnesium for regularity and as a sleep aid. But if I forget the salt, I will be woken up with severe calf and foot cramps. Lordy, those are awful! Anyway, I think the salt in my magnesium water at night is the remedy for me. I also had them when I took statins, so I guess I am prone to them…? Either way, good luck with yours and thanks for sharing your experiment.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

You can follow my adventures with mineral supplementation here:

I added a combo of sodium salt (Remond Real Salt) and potassium salt (French’s NoSalt) to my daily dietary regimen after starting keto. I originally added magnesium (Epsom salt) to the mix, but don’t bother any more.

Compression is additional. I’ve suffered nocturnal leg cramps most of my adult life. The additional salt intake and now compression have lessened my occurrences enormously. For me, experiencing a mild cramp only every 2-3 weeks is wonderful! If I had to wear a high altitude pressure suit to accomplish it, I would. :wink: