(Angie Davey) #1

I have started this WOE struggling a little due to my sugar addiction, but am fighting it, any tips ?

When you get the craving eat fats instead. Hang in there, it will soon subside. In the interim you might want to make some fat bombs and Keto deserts. I got through the first few weeks thanks to Strawberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs and Carl’s Chocolate Mousse (you’ll both recipes on the forums by using the search tool - I’d post a link for you but my tablet is playing up tonight).

(Angie Davey) #3

Great thank you wil certainly give that a go

(Michelle) #4

I was a huge sugar addict before going Keto. Now, I don’t even miss it really. If I feel like something sweet, I’ll have keto fudge (basically coconut oil and swerve and some cacao powder).

In the beginning, I gave up all sweeteners and alcohol, as not to trigger any sweet cravings. Like KetoKate said, I just ate more fat - usually cheese, nuts in the beginning.

It’s really normal and really hard, I get it. It can get so intense that your head is full of it.

The biggest thing is to have no access to the foods in question - get them out of the house and avoid them everywhere else as much as you can. When you can’t see it and getting it would be a real ball ache, it helps.

As you get more into keto your taste buds will get more sensitive to sugar so you will actually get at least some of the hit you are after from things that previously would not have touched the sides - nuts I always found great.

Give in to it. Just do it with keto. Try your best to limit how often so that you can break the habit but maybe promise yourself a glorious chocolate lava cake with a huge dollop of cream on it for the weekend or just a day or two away. Drool at the thought and then delight in the eating.

Watch use of sweetener in things like this though. The recipe above for example would have been way way too sweet for me. I used 2 teaspoons of Truvia and that was plenty. Try and push your level of sweet down as much as you can. That also really helps over time with the cravings.

You CAN do this and trust me, it really is worth it. To be free of that overwhelming need is fabulous. I love food again and really enjoy it. Gone is the guilt and judgement and crappy stuff that I ate with every mouthful previously.

The good news is that the cravings will get better over time. I relied on keto desserts more at the beginning than I do now. A couple of my main ones are cream cheese with cocoa powder and stevia, or mascarpone with a little coffee concentrate and stevia with a little cocoa powder sprinkled on top, that ones tastes just like tiramisu.

(Arlene) #7

Fight, fight, fight! It can take several weeks to feel better, so don’t give up because once you’re over the hump, you will feel so good that you will love this way of eating. If ever there was a no nonsense, simple, easy, “makes perfect sense” way of eating, this is it. I didn’t realize how perfect this WOE would be for me, till I got over the sugarholic hump, and how can anyone know how it feels to be “right” when we have felt broken for so long, addicted to all forms of continuous carbs? Feeling “right” is awesome. Keep going and you will get there.

(Trudi La Rose) #8

Bacon, sometimes it sounds like we are all a little obsessed with bacon but it helps with my cravings for sweet, salty, crunchy, whatever. Makes a great delivery vehicle for cream cheese.

I’ve been reading Taubes’ Why We Get Fat and Volek & Phinney’s The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living to understand the science. That helps steel me against all the candy at work.

Family support really helps. I’m in this because I wanted to help my husband succeed at it and I love it.

Would you please direct me to Carl’s Chocolate Mousse recipe? I am having trouble finding it. Thank you!

Sure, you’ll find it here: http://blog.2keto.com/recipe/carls-chocolate-mousse/