Newbie to Keto

(Carole) #1

Hi
I am English but live in Portugal so I am pleased to find this online group.

I have a replacement knee op in a couple of months time and I have been told by the surgeon I MUST lose weight. Despite my best efforts, I have only lost 1kg (2.2lb) in five weeks. I need to lose at least another 20lbs and once I’ve achieved this goal I will reaccess and maybe set a target of another 20lb loss.

My current weight is 85 kg (188 lb) I am 65years old. Height 5’ 2" I can’t exercise as I can no longer walk.

So far I am rather confused by the diet so I will take some time to read through some of the various topic threads.

In the meantime.

Two quick questions

1. I’ve read on a FB group that I can not put milk in my hot drinks. (tea coffee) is this correct?

2. Are there any quick reference apps to check carbs, fibre etc. I am confused

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Welcome to the forums! Glad you found us.

Ten kilos may well come off, but it may not be as fast as you are hoping. The rapid, large fat loss stories are about people who had large amounts of excess fat to get rid of, and even their rate of fat loss slowed as they approached a normal body size. A ketogenic diet should be of great help to you, and it will provide many benefits in addition to fat loss, but you will only get frustrated if your expectations have been made unrealistic by some of the hype that’s out there. Also, since you are a woman, you may find your hormones need a period of re-regulation before the fat loss starts, though I will defer to our women members to discuss their experience with you.

That said, most people advise not using milk, but that is because of the sugar content. If you want to put milk in your coffee and tea, just account for the carbs in your daily carbohydrate allowance. It is not likely to cause you trouble unless you are drinking vast quantities. I am at the point where I very much prefer tea and coffee black, but many people enjoy their coffee with double cream (heavy whipping cream). It’s not bad that way, though I still prefer it black. I can’t imagine putting cream in tea, however. Ugh!

Galactose and lactose (the milk sugars) are an issue for all dairy foods, so just be aware of the contents of what you eat. Hard, aged cheeses have the least amount of carbohydrate, and while double cream does have a bit, it’s not much.

There are a number of online apps, such as myfitnesspal and Cronometer, but be sure to set them to maintenance, rather than weight loss, because otherwise the calorie allowance will be unrealistically low (there are solid scientific reasons for not wanting to stint on calories on a ketogenic diet—this is a way of eating that goes against the current orthodoxy in many important ways). If, however, you eat modest quantities of leafy greens and vegetables that grow above ground (such as broccoli, sprouts, and cauliflower) and avoid starches, grains, and legumes, you should be fine, without having to be obsessive about the quantity.

Many people on a ketogenic diet find that their digestion is quite fine without worrying about fibre, and some people even find fibre to be detrimental, once their carbohydrate intake dropped. You can exclude fibre grams from your carb count (probably already done for you on Portugese nutrition labels), but a lot of people prefer to include the amount of fibre when considering how much carbohydrate to eat. There are good arguments on the side of counting total carbs and on the side of counting net carbs, so you’ll have to make your own mind up about that.

One last thing to mention is the matter of what fats you are consuming. I’ve been watching a lot of videos on line these days, and I am hearing a great deal more about systemic inflammation lately. It appears that the high ω-6 content of the commercial seed oils is as deleterious to our health as a high-carbohydrate intake, since ω-6 fatty acids, while essential to our diet, are inflammatory when over-consumed. The best fats are the traditional ones—butter/ghee, bacon grease, lard, and tallow—since they are mostly monounsaturated and saturated fats, with a modest polyunsaturated component.

(Carole) #3

Hi Paul, thank you so much for your helpful response. Since I joined the forum my knee replacement operation has been scheduled for the 13th Aug so i have decided not to make any major changes to my diet, especially if side-effects could be an issue. However, in the meantime, I am going to continue to browsing the forum and ask questions so I can hit the ground running (no pun intended) when I am mobile again and in charge of the cooking :grinning:

I use lactose-free milk will that be a problem?

I am dairy intolerant. … I am trying t intorduce it back into my diet gradually … to see how I get on.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

If you are ‘dairy intolerant’ why do you want to consume dairy? If you want something ‘creamy’ in your coffee/tea you could try coconut cream. It has less fat and more carbs than whipping cream, but it doesn’t require lactase to digest. You could also try a mix of ghee (clarified butter) and whey powder. You would need something like an Aerolatte to mix it. Again, no lactase required to digest. You could take lactase tablets. Or just eat a piece of Grana Padano cheese with your coffee/tea.

As for ‘lactose-free’ milk, I’d look at exactly what’s been removed and how; also, what if anything has been added to compensate.

(Carole) #5

I thought you had to eat cream and dairy …

Good point. thank you. I will see if I can translate form Portuguese.

Would almond milk be okay?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Dairy is not necessary on keto, though many people eat dairy products for the fat. If you are lactose-intolerant there is no need to torture yourself.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

I think it’s OK, but it’s quite nutritionally dilute and contains significant carbs unless you’re only using a small amount. Really, though, if you’re looking for a lactose-free alternative to ‘milk/cream’ in your coffee or tea, I’d go with ghee and whey. Neither contain lactose/galactose and there are lots of zero carb whey powders out there.

(Carole) #9

Hi, I can’t buy ghee here.

At the moment I have cut out ALL processed sugars from my diet and bread, pasta, rice etc. I only eat potatoes now on rare occasions. I eat plenty of advocadoes and egg and cheese every day. Haha… since cutting wheat I have discovered it was gluten I was probably intolerant to. Cheese is okay and cream but I must eat early in day due to acid reflux.

While not on full Keto I have lost weight 2kg now

Why would you want to buy ghee anyway? It’s very easy to make it at home.
The taste does not compare with the commercial ones, it’s great for your wallet and you know exactly what goes in it.