Newbie here

Hello from north jersey. I am just getting started and in day 17. I lost about 5 lbs. my fat/protein/carbs are 80/15/5 my pee sticks are still reading moderate and I feel as though I am hydrated. I have lost about 5 lbs. problem is, I don’t think I’m adapted yet based on slow weight loss and keto stick color. Thoughts tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

(Allan Misner) #2

Depending on your personal situation, it can take a while to adapt (particularly the first time). Stay the course!

(Sierra) #3

Hello and welcome. I am about a month into this WOE so don’t have much advise to give but I wanted to just throw in a little something.

For me, I noticed myself feeling less tired, being naturally happier and sleeping WAY better before I noticed anything on the scale! This way of eating is amazing and even though I do obsess over the scale, don’t get too hung up on it. My weight might go up a pound one day then the next day be 1.5 pounds down.

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #4

Ketostix color can vary depending on many factors–your water intake, your food intake, your energy expenditure. Really, all they show is that you have ketones present in your urine. That means you have unused ketones being excreted by your body. Eventually, your body is going to get more efficient at using them and you won’t have a large volume excreted, so those stix aren’t going to show much color. You have more reliable methods of judging your level of fat burning: namely, your energy levels, sugar cravings, a metallic taste in the mouth… there are many more markers that you can probably google quicker than I can dig out of my brain. And you can also get blood test strips for ketones, similar to the glucose strips that diabetics use. THOSE are a much more accurate method of judging your level of ketosis, as they measure serum ketones–the level that are actually in circulation to be used. The optimal fat loss range is 1.5 – 3 mmol/L.

Honestly though, I can’t analyze your macros but 15g of protein sounds really LOW. And if your macros are in percentages, you may need to go do some more reading before you go much further. That probably explains your lack of loss right there. I’d suggest dietdoctor.com. Your macros should be in grams, not percent of calories.

(Alexandria) #5

Informative. Thank you

All, thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I will seek out dietdoctor to give them a shot.

(Michelle) #7

Welcome!! Keep the course. It can take a while (4-6 weeks) to truly get fat adapted. A good signal is you can go a lot longer between meals without being hungry, and your hunger is less pronounced than when you are sugar burner.

Thank you for the inspiration.

What kind of blood , breath or urine tests do most folks use?

I think that it is 15% protein.

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #11

And as I said, even if it’s in percentage, it’s an arbitrary figure. Fifteen percent of what? Calorie intake can vary by day, so it’s not a fixed amount. Most keto-ers know that you need protein as a fixed TARGET based on your losing/gaining plan. And typically, carbs are a LIMIT, fat is a VARIABLE. Hence my suggestion to read up more on keto/LCHF in general. Or of course, listen to some more awesome podcasts!

(Elizabeth Mitchell) #12

ON average, most people use ketostix because they are cheap and easy. And once you’re showing ketones spilling in urine, you don’t really have to worry about testing. Then, most keto low-level geeks will invest in the blood testing machines. A lot of keto people will have them due to issues with blood glucose/diabetes risk, so they’ll have the meters for that. But note, only certain models of glucometers do dual duty as keton testers. I myself have the Freestyle Optium. (Note: the testing sticks are pretty expensive!) Uber-level geeks or just those with money burning a hole in their pockets can invest in the breathalyzers. It’s really up to you, whatever is most convenient for you, your budget, and your need for knowing your ketone level.

(Michelle) #13

Jimmy Moore is working on a testing device that will test glucose and ketones, with much lower costing strips. In development now, so not sure how long it will take to go into production. He said he’s been working on it since he wrote Keto Clarity,

Welcome.

I’m not a huge fan of % either. It is easier to work with grams in general because % is usually based on calories and that is… well bollocks!

Keep your carbs <20 - most people use net, total is even better :wink:
Scale protein to LBM (search on forum there are discussions around how to calculate) - 1-1.5g per kg LBM is the general go to.
Then eat fat to satiety - whatever that means that day. there is no fixed upper or lower limit.

Pee sticks are OK to start with and a bit of fun but, as has been mentioned, pretty unreliable. Do stay well hydrated and take electrolytes. Adaptation can take a couple of weeks or 6 months. It is so variable and depends a lot on what you are bringing to the table as it were that needs healing first. Just keep plodding along and enjoy the food. It will happen.

. however my protein is actually a lot less. on 2000 cal. daily I have about 90-110 grams of protien

2000 cal is possibly too low for you while trying to become fat adapted at the beginning of your journey.

Can you provide a typical day of meals and snacks? This will help us help you with providing recommendations.

Hi,

Thanks to all for being so helpfull. I certainlay appreciate everyones ones inspiring and assurance.

First week was probably to much protien.So, its all starting to make sense. I have lost 8-9 lbs. in the last 3.5 weeks but pee sticks still pink.
basically everyday is similar to what I will list here.The carbs are 12 grams from macadamian nuts, 4grams from field greens,2 grams from eggs and cheese and 5 grams from grilled vegetables.
total calories- 2140
Total carbs -24 grams
Total Fat 191 grams
Total protien -87 grams
I thinnk at this point its just a waiting game as long as I stay the course.
Thanks to all.
Scott

And the keto sticks are still pink .4 weeks exactly

Pink keto sticks still, seems like gained a few .lbs getting discouraged.

(Jaidann) #20

Ok why discouraged? If your registering pink on your keto urine strips then you are excreting ketones. As explained above, the longer you are keto the less you excrete through urine because your body begins to use and regulate them more efficiently. I’ve been doing keto for 6 months and I don’t register a darned thing on the urine strips anymore when I use to regularly.

Weight isn’t linear. Water retention, shifts in weight distribution, etc all play a role in this and you will go up and down even on keto.

If you truly think it is a problem then what I’d do is get rid of the nuts and pull your carb grams under 20 total.