Newbie First n=1 Charting a glucose curve comments? critiques?

(Rob) #1

Did my first n=1 glucose self experiment today … which was no doubt flawed … but it was a start. lessons learned towards the bottom.

I wanted to find out how I reacted to Crystal Lite. Did a fasting baseline and got a reading of 90 mg/dl
Drank a glass of Crystal Light immediately afterward … consumed nothing else.

An hour later did another glucose test and got a reading of 85 mg/dl
For now I’m going to write the difference off to the variability of the device (Precision Xtra)

Had another glass of Crystal Lite nd took my morning meds which consisted off 75 mcg synthroid, 20 mg lisinopril, and 20 mg immediate release adderall (take it for narcolepsy)
Just for laughs did a glucose test an hour later and got a reading of 104. I’m guessing that could be due to A) The variability of the device, B) One of the meds, or C) The cumulative effects of Crystal Lite. At this point of course, any science is corrupt … too many variables. I’ve been wondering about the adderall and have read conflicting things on the internet (surprise).

Sooo … lessons learned:
Perhaps do a test where a take a small number of consecutive readings (I still don’t like sticking myself with the lancet device) and see what the variability of my Precision Xtra is at that point in time.
Have one and only one variable at a time.
I read a good article in @richard s blog about charting the glucose curve and he started the testing 30 minutes post consumption. May try 30 minutes, then an hour, and once an hour after that if readings still not back to baseline.

Also going to do a forum search on specific medications … understanding of course everyone’s mileage varies.

Any thoughts on the drop from 90 mg/dl to 85 mg/dl after the first hour … having consumed 12 oz crystal Light after the first test?

(TJ Borden) #2

I’m still trying to figure out glucose stuff since after 7 months, I still only register under 100 when I’m on an extended fast, even when I eat zero carb, so as near as I can tell, my liver thinks I need more than I think I do.

As far as the difference in 90 to 85 reading, there isn’t really one. When you factor the margin of error for meters, that’s basically the same reading.