Newbie Check In (Critique Welcomed)

Hi everyone!

First and foremost I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to the forums here. As a newcomer to keto I have found the information and anecdotal accounts extremely valuable getting started.

I am really enjoying keto so far and I am pleased with my progress. That being said, I was hoping a few people with more keto background and experience could provide recommendations or constructive criticism based on my current progress and goals.

Here is my basic info:
Male, 39yo, 6’2, 225lbs (current)
5 weeks on keto
Utilizing Carb Manager for tracking
Goals- weight loss, general fitness, muscle gain, and possible conversion to keto as a continuing lifestyle.

Initially (5 weeks ago)
Macros: under 20g net carbs, 157g fat, 158g protein, appx 2100 cals
I experienced keto flu symptoms, lost a lot of stomach bloat, and lost inches. I did not take an initial weight reading the first week because I had read I would drop a lot of water weight (and I didnt want to get discouraged when weight loss slowed after the initial drop).

Week 2 (4 weeks ago)
Macros: under 20g net carbs, 157g fat, 158g protein, appx 2100 cals
Keto flu symptoms began to subside. I took an initial weight reading of 231.6lbs.

Week 3 (3 weeks ago)
Macros: under 20 total carbs, 140g fat, 117g protein, appx 1800 cals
Minimal change in weight (<1lb). I switched from tracking net carbs to tracking total carbs (based on readings from this forum). I noticed diminished appetite and reset my macros to match my point of satiety. I also noticed increased “steady” energy (no crashes in energy post meals etc).

Week 4 (2 weeks ago)
Weight down to 227 (3lb change). Also noted loss of inches (unmeasured/clothing based). Continued energy increase noted.

Week 5 (1 week ago)
Weight down to 224-226 (2-3lb change). Started weight training 45min 3-4 times weekly and no “bonk” so far (30 seconds between supersets so fairly good intensity).

I initially planned to utilize keto for a finite period in order to get back down to a more desireable “starter” weight, but Im really enjoying the way I feel on keto. At this point I am strongly considering remaining on keto as a lifestyle.

Any advice or recommendations are welcome.

(Doug) #2

Welcome, Good_eater. :slightly_smiling_face: I think you’re doing great.

I’m the same height as you, but 22 years older and I’d love to get down to 225 lbs (working on that).

If anything, those calorie totals seem fairly low to me, but if you’re feeling good and satisfied then what the hey… For however long we do keto, keeping it sustainable and ‘easy’ enough is important. For many of us, there are good reasons to keep going, especially rather than going back to a high-carbohydrate diet with a lot of processed foods and seed oils, etc. the ‘Standard American Diet’ or its equivalent in other countries.

225 lbs - that was the early 1990s for me. Wish I’d known then what I know now.

(Troy) #3

Doing great

Just an option
For me I would up your protein :smile:

117g protein at 224lbs
You " definitely " have room to UP it…IMHO

You can always tinker around by eating more protein then lowering fat?

Perhaps even eating more as well

Seeing how your body reacts
Mixed it up
Satiety etc…

Just suggestions
Fine tuning :slightly_smiling_face:

Good Luck

(Butter Withaspoon) #4

I think you’re doing great. The change in energy and becoming bonk proof are fantastic indicators that you’re changing the way your metabolism operates. If you’re not hungry and don’t feel a craving for protein keep going and keto on!

This is my first post here - hope it lands in the right place. So happy to have found this resource, wow

So you did not lose any weight?

I have lost about 10lbs since my initial weigh in (a little over a month and a week ago). Honestly I wouldn’t want to lose much faster. Weight loss and energy levels are steady. I’m still really liking it.

:+1:

(Bob M) #8

Looks good. If you’re lifting that much (and actually want to gain mass), you might be able to up your carbs or try a TKD (targeted keto diet). I’d keep keto constant for a while, though, before doing this.

I think you could up your protein too, although that’s easier said than done, depending on what you’re eating. You could eat some – dare I say it? – leaner meats for instance. I like ham (watch for carbs, though), and other lean meats, eg, instead of pepperoni. I still eat pepperoni, just not much (usually on a pizza chaffle).

Thanks for the good recommendations and feedback. I changed my macros last week to:

Fat-130g
Protein-133g

I have noticed a substantial increase in appetite in the last week (presumably due to the increase in physical activity associated with exercise). On lifting days I allow myself to go about 25g over on protein (an isopure protein shake) so I’m closer to around 155-160 on those days.

I don’t want to slow my progress this early on. So I am trying to hold to those macros, but I am consistently hungry throughout/following my lift days. However, my primary goal is still currently fat loss, and my hunger levels are still far better than anything I have previously experienced on “standard” dieting.

Not sure if I should bump up my “activity level” on carb manager to “moderately active” and see where that puts me on macro/hunger levels. I may give it a shot and report back.

Thanks again for all the great input.