Newbie and attempting 14 day fast

(Angie) #1

Hi, I’m new, my husband and I are on our 3 day fast after hearing/reading Dr. Fung’s book and watching his videos. Day 2 of Fasting was easier than my first day. I am drinking tea, mineral water, taking my multi-vitamin and plan on making bone broth, but used regular broth with 0 calories and 0 protein, and 0 sugar for the first two days. I am started at 162.6 lbs at 5’4" I am doing this for cholesterol purposes and to shrink my belly. I am 54 years old. I am scared to eat high fat and am used to the high carb, low fat, move more type of diets… especially since my doctor told me that she wanted to put me on cholesterol medicine. I plan on asking her if my LDL was more Type A or Type B. I did the math and divided my HDL by my triglycerides and they were under 6. Got that formula from a You-Tube video from Dr. Berg.

Day 3 - I weighed my self and lost .6 - so I am now at 161 lbs.

Tonight I plan to make the keto electrolyte drink with potassium citrate, magnesium citrate, magnesium and himalayan salts. I have continued to walk my dog in the morning for about 5,000 steps, go to work and sit in a chair most of the day and listen to you-tube videos and read during lunchtime. I look forward to hearing your wisdom, advice, questions, etc.

Thanks, Angie

(Liz ) #2

Congratulations on your fasting success so far! I know a lot of people are in the same boat as you, afraid of fats because we were all lied to and led astray for so many decades. But please keep reading these forums and find out how good it is for you, how much your body loves it, and how helpful it will be for you on your journey! When you see the truth you might be steaming mad like the rest of us whose eyes have been opened. Keep Calm and Keto On!

(Annette) #3

Angie, you might listen to the Dudes’ latest podcast on Keto for Absolute Beginners (or similar title). Lots of great info to help get over the fear of fat.

(Richard Hanson) #4

Hi Angie,

A lot of people around the world have been conditioned to fear fat , lipophobia, by living for decades submerged in a muddy swap of dietary misinformation. A medical education does not somehow magically immunize doctors from this condition, but the good news is that this can be corrected.

As you watch U-Tube videos I might suggest …

Ivor Cummins: The Cholesterol Conundrum - and Root Cause Solution

In print …

Nina Teicholz: The Big Fat Surprise
Gary Taubes: Good Calories Bad Calories

Ivor Cummings provides a great explanation of what is going on with cholesterol, and both Nina Teicholz and Gary Taubes have explaining the history, fallacies, politics and science (the lack of science) of the nutritional guidelines that have led to the Standard American Diet. I think it is this very sordid history that has engendered a very strong commitment to intellectual honest within the ketogenic community.

The materials might be a bit technical even if intended for a general audience, but all of the information is well sourced. All the details may not be clear at first, but it has been my experience that the more I read the more I comprehend the information as I have erected a basic framework for organizing an understanding.

If you go back to your doctor and she insists on a statin, please ask her to first educate herself by reading Gary Taubes book. If not, I would respectfully suggest that it might be time to find a doctor that has a much better understanding of nutrition, the ketogenic diet, and metabolic function.

Warmest Regards,
Richard

(Angie) #5

I really appreciate it - lost 12 lbs since Oct 17 - need to loose 20 more… have only been able to complete two 3 day fasts - one 3 day fasts per week. Learning so much - still feel guilty… and eating fat i am not craving pasta and bread like i used to :smile::clap:

-Angie