New with Keto Flu

(Cathy brown) #1

Hello,

I’ve been doing keto for about 10 days now. I’m 58 and I’m about 100 pounds overweight, I am diabetic and have insulin resistance.

I’ve definitely had the keto flu since starting. My macros are as per what I see on here. I drink lots of water (about 3 litres/day), I have bone broth every morning, I use electrolytes and sea salt. I eat a lot of leafy greens and my diet is mostly organic and very healthy. I’m consistent with the 20 grams of carbs.

I am in ketosis - the last few days I’ve been about 1.0 mmol and today my fasting blood ketones were 1.2, yet I still feel so crappy. So fatigued, weak, spacey, depressed. Is it normal to still feel this way even once I am in ketosis? I have been reading and it says it can take a while to get fat=adapted, but wasn’t sure if I should be feeling this bad at this point. I realize everyone reacts differently, but would like to hear any feedback or from others that had a similar experience. Thank you.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

You are experiencing carb withdrawal. It is common and can last for a few days or a week or two. It affects different folks differently for varying lengths of time. And some not at all. It will go away.

(Cathy brown) #3

Thank you - I just thought I should check to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong.

(Susan) #4

Welcome to the forum, Cathy. It sure sounds like you are doing everything right. I Know it is not pleasant to be feeling like this, but it will pass and then you will feel great =). Just be patient. Our bodies are carb and sugar addicted when we begin and we have to get rid of these “drugs” from our bodies, it is like any other withdrawal. We are all here to encourage you on your journey, you can do this =).

(Tyler) #5

Hang in there Cathy. Hang in to the thoughts of how great you’ll be feeling soon.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Are you on insulin or oral diabetes medications? If so and you continue to feel bad, you may want to consider including your doctor in your diet changes. Dosages may need to be adjusted.

(Cathy brown) #7

I’m on a low dose of metformin. I’m watching my blood glucose very closely and all looks well, so far. But a good reminder. Thanks so much.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

Great! Good luck and hang in there. Feel free to ask any specific questions. I felt spacey for about a week but honestly I wasn’t staying hydrated enough. It helped to sneak in chicken broth between meals and tea with cream always gave me a boost. Eventually I didn’t need them anymore but it helped the transition.

(Jill F.) #9

Welcome to the keto way of life! I promise it gets better and you will feel good. It is just our body rebelling and telling us it is upset. You will feel better, and just remember none of us gained weight overnight and we wont lose it that way either. Our body is running on a new fuel, and it is in shock. Once it catches on that carbs are no more it becomes a fat burning machine! Keep coming here for advice, support, and keto love.