New to this and loving it but

(Terence Dean) #73

I’ll give you an example of what I eat in a typical day and my schedule and see if that is close to what you do. On this diet I can average about 0.2kg a day weight loss. That works out to be around 1.5kg per week which is great because its not too much, I could lose faster but its not worth the starvation.

Here goes:
8:00am - 20 min walk approx 1.2km

8:30am - Breakfast
2 rashers of bacon fried in butter 68g
2 eggs scrambled
dash of milk
chives (mixed in my scrambled eggs)
1/2 tomato fried

12:00am - Lunch*
1 cup Shredded Lettuce
small handful of macadamia & cashews
4-6 cherry tomatoes
1 oz cheddar cheese
tsp of pickle
1 small can of tuna (in olive oil) 95g

4:00pm - 20 min walk approx 1.2km

5:00pm - Dinner
2 Small Lamb chops with fat on (cooked on the barbecue, and swimming in duck fat) 100g, 452 cal (71%fat, 29%protein)
1 cup of Spinach
1 cup of cabbage

Water: 2 litres through the day
Coffee: 2 with 1 tsp of honey, milk
Supplements: 2-3 Vita Gummies (Multi-Vitamins)
No snacks between meals
No eating after 8:00pm
7-8 hours sleep

Note: * Lunch is usually what I alter the most, sometimes I’ll just have some raw fruit like an orange with some yogurt because I don’t feel that hungry, depends on what I’ve been doing. Removed the pomegranate juice because its not something I have everyday.

(Bunny) #75

The most important info on this subject you will ever need to know in your life-time and this pretty much sums it up: WIRED TO EAT BY ROBB WOLF (REVIEW)

Resources:

1. VIOME

(back and doublin' down) #76

Great article, and loved the embedded TED Talk about the importance of sleep!

(Terence Dean) #77

Another 0.2kg gone this morning. KCKO! :keto:

(Bubba) #78

You’re getting amazing results, you’re eating more than me…obviously your calorie intake will be more.
The only difference us I don’t eat any salad, veg I’m a bit cautious of and I didn’t know we could have fruit or juice?

(Terence Dean) #79

The Keto police :policeman: reckon you shouldn’t be having fruit period which I don’t agree with personally, to hell with that! I’m eating fruit so sue me, I also don’t want my teeth to fall out when I get scurvy! :stuck_out_tongue: Today I had an orange, yogurt, and a glass of pomegranate juice instead of the salad, wasn’t hungry enough.

Don’t be scared to eat vegetables just watch the potatoes, and starchy ones which have a LOT of carbs. But there’s no reason why you cannot eat plenty of leafy green vegetables such as spinach, silver beet, cauliflower I believe is acceptable but I don’t like it.

I got a great link from another post I made about what foods are Keto friendly, you may wish to check that list out.

Again don’t try to eat what I do and expect the same amount of weight loss, my wife eats virtually the same and only loses half if she’s lucky. Women have a different metabolism to men so expect to lose a lot less but just keep at it.

(Lonnie Hedley) #80

Here’s a post you might find interesting on a zero carb site about why you don’t need vitamin C to prevent scurvy.

It’s taken me a couple years to migrate to this way of eating, but I personally feel much better having cut out the veggies.

(back and doublin' down) #81

Over the last couple of weeks, I did similar. I do cooked veggies, but no longer eat salad. The more I do IF and EF and feel more aware of my digestive system, the more apparent it was that digesting raw veggies is hard for my system. These variations are part of what makes this WOE truly n=1.

(Lonnie Hedley) #82

A buddy of mine mentions how he NEEDS fiber for his movements. I can guarantee fiber is not necessary for good movements.

(Terence Dean) #83

Australian Aboriginals have been eating fruit for over 50,000 years. One of their natural bush fruit the Kakadu Plum has the “highest recorded level of natural vitamin C content of any plant in the world — more than 100 times that of oranges". If vitamin C wasn’t that important you’d think they would not have bothered to eat them, or perhaps they were hungry at the time and felt like eating fruit for a change…just like I do. :stuck_out_tongue:

(karen) #84

Can’t resist… kaka-du. That might be the answer right there.

(Terence Dean) #85

The problem with this article is that it doesn’t tell you how the Inuit who survived on eating meat and blubber got their vitamin C; that was usually by eating raw liver. Not something I’d relish, give me an orange any day!

Our problem really is that we have every type of food at out finger tips. The issue is that we have too much choice, we often have sedentary lifestyles, I know I never had any problem with weight until I stopped active sport at around 35 years changed careers from a physical (tradesman) job to one where I sat behind a desk banging away on a keyboard (programmer). That plus eating too many carbs. Its quite obvious now in hindsight, either stop eating so much (carbbage) or do more physical activity to burn it off.

(Lonnie Hedley) #86

They didn’t get vitamin c. Thats the whole point. It’s not needed if you’re eating fresh meat. The image of scurvy, at least the picture that pops into my mind, is people stuck at sea. These people survived on crap that was able to last for months without refrigeration.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t eat vegetables. Only that it’s not necessary. It may surprise you how many people practice carnivory and don’t have any types of vitamin deficiencies.

(Lonnie Hedley) #87

I knew there was something in the article regarding no need for vitamin c to prevent scurvy.

There appears to be an alternative biochemical pathway for preventing scurvy that occurs when one is eating a fat-burning ketogenic diet, as opposed to a sugar-burning glucogenic diet. While the mechanism of action is not entirely clear, it is considered to be an established fact. Dr. Stephen Phinney has speculated that the blood ketone beta-hydroxybutyrate may itself be the anti-scorbutic factor.

(Terence Dean) #88

Well whatever the science behind those claims, I’m not going to just eat meat and nothing else. My choice and I’m happy to live with the consequences. Now pass me another orange or a Kakadu plum if you have em and KCKO!:keto:

(Lonnie Hedley) #89

Like I said, I’m not saying you shouldn’t eat however you want, I’m not the boss of anybody but myself (and the dog).

All I’m saying is you don’t need vitamin c to prevent scurvy, you don’t need fiber for good gut health/good movements, vegetables for vital micronutrients, etc. I gave you a list of acceptable foods because I believe if you’re eating natural not processed foods you can get healthy. If you want to n=1, even better. That’s what I’m doing. I’m more lean than I’ve ever been in my life. I felt pretty good eating veggies, but even better without them. You’re being successful with fruit while others aren’t. I think fruit could be a slippery slope for others with a sweet tooth and could cause some to have increased cravings. I’d suggest most people avoid fruit, but again only a suggestion since I’m not the boss of anybody but myself.

(Terence Dean) #90

Yep no problem Lonnie, I agree everyone has to decide what’s good for themselves. I learned something I didn’t know about scurvy today from your post and I can see why the idea of cutting back or not eating fruit is promoted on Keto to reduce sugar but my point also is that we shouldn’t be afraid of food, just be aware of what too much of anything can do to your body. I prefer moderation when it comes to food now, with the exception of dramatically reducing my wheat and excessive carb intake. Works for me but by no means am I saying that everyone should follow me.

(Ron) #91

It’s good to remember too that many who go on Keto are looking for much more than just weight loss. I was T2b and trying to lower insulin resistance and the sugar in fruits would spike my blood glucose levels to the moon and hinder my path to regaining my insulin sensitivity. Ultimately, I have determined it is best for me to not recommend fruits to new people coming onto the forum in the beginning as I don’t know what brought them here and even if it is just weight loss, to help them get adapted as quickly as possible this approach appears the most beneficial. :blush:

(Terence Dean) #92

That’s a fair point Ron but I’m not diabetic so I’m just writing from my own experience. You’re correct this plan I posted is not meant for everyone its just an example of what I eat in a day to help out @MonkeyNuts with her trying to work out her own plan.

If any of it helps then good if it doesn’t apply to people who cannot eat certain foods adjust it so its better. All I know is what works for me. I do eat fruit but I don’t sit down and eat a whole bag of oranges, fruit is a minor thing in my diet, often I go weeks without eating fruit so please don’t take that list of food items as compulsory or something because I change what I eat daily. That’s just one example of what I eat, some people may eat less and get the desired result great!

The greatest thing about this forum is that I may learn something I didn’t know and it could help me, regardless how trivial it may be.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #93

Sorry if it’s TMI but I need the occasional banana to be, let’s just say, more comfortable. A carnivore diet just runs right through me. Veggies help me as well. And I say occasional because I am here to lower my triglycerides and I know fruits don’t help with that.