New to the forums! Need some advice please

(Rose) #1

Hi yall! I’m new to this forum, loving the community vibe so far :slight_smile:
I’ve been strictly keto for 5 weeks now and I am fanatical about it (obviously lol).
I had a bit of keto flu in the first week but handled it pretty well and have been feeling amazing the last 4 weeks. I wake up, have my BPC, then I usually don’t feel the need to eat until lunch time. But I always eat when I feel hungry.
Today I seem to have the “flu” symptoms back again, and I woke up ravenous!! I had a BPC and a teaspoon of MCT oil. After that I was still STARVING so I ate some leftover roast chicken (including the skin! omnomnom) with mayonnaise. 1 hour later I was STARVING again to the point of feeling nauseous and shaky, so I had some macadamia nuts. Now I’m feeling satiated but I still feel really yucky. I’ve had a sugar free sports drink to bump up my electrolytes but does anyone have any suggestions for me to feel better? Anyone else experienced this after 4-6 weeks of being keto?

(Ellie) #2

Hi Rose,
Keto flu can happen anytime if your electrolytes drop.
I would recommend Ketoaid

A bit of sea salt under my tongue is my first port of call if I start to feel off, and it usually does the trick.

Also, don’t be afraid of eating when you are hungry - as long as it is nice and high fat. If you wake up feeling ravenous then eat a proper breakfast - bacon, eggs, butter, whatever you like, until satiated.
There will be days when you need more food than others - who knows what your body has been up to repairing stuff overnight!
One of the big benefits of Keto is the ability to regain the clear signals of appetite from your body.

(Rose) #3

Thank you so much for your reply Ellie! I really appreciate it. It’s good to know that the flu-like symptoms can occur any time, and that I haven’t done anything wrong haha. I generally do eat whenever I feel hungry, unless I don’t have access to food (which is rare because I always make sure I at least have some cheese or macadamia nuts in my handbag! :slight_smile: ). But I’ve never been a breakfast person so it’s not habit for me. But I will keep that in mind if I wake up hungry again.
Today I actually went down to the convenience store below my workplace and bought a himalayan pink salt shaker and another sugar free sports drink and put heaps of salt in the drink and had that!! I feel a bit better :slight_smile:

(Ellie) #4

Sounds good.
Be a bit careful relying on the sports drink. A lot of them are actually surprisingly low in electrolytes.
I think potassium recommended amount is around 4300mg per day, but a lot of sports drinks only have about 100mg - not very useful.
However you can use the ketoaid, or ensure that you get lots of potassium in food such as avocados.
Just check the levels in the sports drink you use compared to the daily amounts you need.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

Ditto @Jacymac on the sports drinks. They are pretty worthless for replenishing electrolytes to the level we need. There’s the ketoade recipie above that works well.

Quite a few of us also use a product called ZipFizz. I discovered quite by accident that this relieved all my Keto flu symptoms. But it does have 2 carbs per drink, so I limit it to one a day and then supliment with ketoade and magnesium citrate tablets, plus suck on pink rock salt all day.

(Marta Loftfield) #6

@n3ophy7e I agree with the other posts. Ketoade instead of the sports drink. Question though, had you had anything different the night before?

(less is more, more or less) #7

Very much so. I was drinking the sugar-free sports drink, but got tired of having brightly-colored hands from all the dye they put in the drink. We go from too much sugar to too much color. Oy. Try a simple saline before you go this route. The suggestion is that salt helps balance the electrolyte imbalance you may be experiencing.

I saw you recommend ZipFizz in another thread and now I love it. Question: Where do you get yours? The best deal I could find was on Amazon at about $1/each but it’s only the blue raspberry.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

Costco has the best prices. Are you a member?

We carry them in store but have much more selection on Costco.com. Though it’s $2 more a package to cover shipping. $27.99 in store for 30 count.

Still not cheap stuff, but at one a day, it’s worth it to me.

Ah. Thank you, and thanks for the recommendation too. I really like them for days when I’m working outside and sweating out all my electrolytes.

No, I’m not a member but I have already employed a willing trafficker who gets me the Kirkland Signature protein bars with 3-4 net carbs, so I will add to her shopping list next time. I found them on SamsClub (where I am a member) but they’re a couple bucks more expensive.

I make two servings out of one just because the taste of a full tube is a bit strong even in my 40oz water bottle, so it’s not super expensive. I’d think they’d just cut out the test-tube packaging and be able to sell it for 1/3 less. I haven’t come up with any clever way to use the empty tubes yet but it seems wasteful chucking them every time.

(Rose) #11

Very interesting, thank you for your advice! I will look in to Ketoade now :slight_smile: