New To Me - Butter Score!

(Sophie) #1

I got all dancing-in-the-aisles kinda happy this morning when I found this little beauty. I figured Amish cows had to be relatively happy, right?
And I Know I’m a ketoer because I couldn’t wait to get home and taste a spoonful! And lovely it was too, so I’m not sharing it. It’s alllllll mine! :smiling_imp:

NICE! Where’d you get it?

(Sophie) #3

I was in Fresh Market today for the first time in over a year! It was $4.99 for a pound and that’s cheaper than I can find for Kerry Gold ($3.19 for 1/2lb) so I’ll be going back. :+1:

(matt ) #4

I don’t know anything about this brand but don’t assume the Amish treat their animals well because they don’t. They treat animals like crap in general. The romance around the Amish way of life is made up. They run a ton of puppy mills and the like.

Oh my! :astonished:

I didn’t know that, Matt!

Thanks for the heads up!

(Sophie) #6

Wow, I didn’t realize that the Amish mistreated their animals. I’d be very careful painting with such broad strokes because there are exceptions to every rule. We had a puppy mill busted in my area, but it would be biased to say that Tennesseeans run puppy mills and treat their animals like crap. And the butter was very good btw.

(Jo O) #7

So instead of generalizing. I found the Minerva Dairy website. 84% fat, pasture raised.
Of course, they are in Wisconsin. Meaning probably not pastured in the winter. And most of the info is about the creamery and cheese making.
http://www.minervadairy.com/about-us.php

Seems the real test is the taste test.
Is it as good as Kerry?
I’m hoping better. I’m getting skeptical about just how many grass fed cows are in Ireland. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(jilliangordona) #8

Came here to make this same point. I’ve been on many Amish farms and seen the abuses.

But I hope this brand comes from a different farm! I am guessing it does… as it seems unlikely a truly Amish family would market and sell something like this.

(Doug) #9

The Wisconsin operation - which specialized in cheese-making, closed in 2003. Minerva Dairy is in Minerva, Ohio, where I went to high school. Coincidentally, was back there just today, visiting my dad and step-mother. Minerva is about 35 miles from Holmes County, where almost half the people are Amish. Not too far, either, from 3 or 4 other counties which have almost all the rest of Ohio’s Amish.

That butter looks like good stuff… :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #10

I hope with all my heart that you reported what you saw!

Did you see any cows beaten, starved, shackled or confined in unsanitary conditions?

And for the record, this butter is my second choice compared to Kerry Gold. But, I have to admit that I am biased because I’ve been to Europe on numerous occasions and I’ve been spoiled by the quality of their dairy products. Every time I’ve returned to the states, the over-processed mess that we call dairy here is literally nauseating to me. Honestly, I don’t know how my husband stood it when he immigrated to the states. For me, the difference is huge.

(Doug) #11

No, but Amish cows would be 30 to 50 miles away, I figure. I don’t know either way - yea or nay on the Amish being rough on animals. Never heard it; about all I can say.

(Sandi Popovich) #12

I live in Ohio and it’s good to see a local butter. I see dairy cows outside in pastures all the time. They eat hay in the winter. However, this does not preclude the fact that they are probably also eating fodder or silage along with pasture grasses. So technically The butter can be said to be from grass fed cows as long as it doesn’t say 100% grass fed. I’m not so sure that this isn’t the case in Ireland also.
Just skeptical I guess.
And yes, Holmes county Ohio contains many puppy mills with a puppy mill dog auction in Hope Ohio – despicable.

I found this at a local Meijer (all-in-one Midwest, USA store)

The salt content is just a bit higher than Kerry, and it’s awesome in coffee. The price was just a bit cheaper than Kerry too.

(Lamar Finch) #14

This is great butter. I found it at Fresh Market and have been hooked on it every sense. You can’t beat it for the taste or the price and due to high fat content it spreads fairly well cold!!!

(Candy Lind) #15

Dang! I used all my love on the “show me your dogs” topic, so I can’t love your Amish Cows! :heart_eyes: