New to Keto while using Zoloft

(Jake Boyer) #1

Hi All!!

I am new to the Keto way of life about 5 weeks in now. I am a 34 yr. old Male and have lost about 17 lbs. since I started and I feel absolutely amazing. I was at 195 lbs. when I started. I am about 5' 11" with a skinny build so i was a little over weight. I have noticed some interesting things while on Keto and was wondering if anyone had seen or reviewed any research on SSRI's while on Keto?
  I have been taking a low dose of 50mg per day for the past 2 years. I had noticed that the effects had started to fade a couple months before I started Keto. Then, about day 3 it seemed like I was taking them for the first time. From what I have read, carbohydrates have an effect on serotonin levels in a positive way but I am confused since i have been keeping my carbs below 10g a day that the Zoloft is actually having a bigger effect or is it the ketones in combination with the Zoloft? Just thought I would put it out there to see if anyone knew a bit more on this subject. 
 Prior to starting Keto I was a pretty big drinker as well. I at least had a couple every night if not more. The urge to drink has completely gone away not just because of the calories and carbs but I just haven't wanted to. I have had probably 3 drinks in the past 4 weeks which is a huge difference. Is this common also? Any input and thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

(Sarah Bruhn) #2

Hi,
Keto is a well known neurological therapy most notably for Epilepsy. Many people find that mood and mental health are improved on keto (myself included) and it makes perfect sense, no peaks and troughs associated with blood glucose levels and ketones are theraputic for the nervous system.
I’ve never heard that carbs are good for seritonin levels… but I’ve not seen proof that seritonin is actually the problem in depression either for that matter, they can’t take a blood test and say “yep your serotonin levels are too low better take an SSRI” infact it seems like pharmaceutical companies decided on the hypothesis that serotonin was the problem by giving the drug and noting it had an effect, sort of like taking an asprin for a headache and assuming the reason the asprin worked was because you had an asprin deficiency. Anyway here is a link to a video about keto and mental health… enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlVfwJ6RQU

(don’t know about the drinking although it’s common knowledge that people are more effected by alcohol when they are on keto, so maybe it has to do with that?)

(Omar) #3

My observation as well as other people observation that SSRI family of medicines get more effective while on keto diet. While on keto you can reduce the dose and will get the same level of effect of a higher does pre keto.

(Jake Boyer) #4

Thank you Sarah for the reply. I will check out the video. I heard that sugar and carbohydrates produce more serotonin in the brain effect certain receptors? I could be wrong or not remembering it properly. I know that my Zoloft acts as a reuptake inhibitor but didn’t know if ketones played a role in that function too. I am in no way a scientist but if people are able to not take SSRI’s because Keto produces the same results then why are the doctors pushing pills instead of diet?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

I am reading The Hacking of the American Mind, by Dr. Robert H. Lustig, in which he goes into quite a bit of detail about dopamine and serotonin and how they function. The problem with serotonin is that most of it is used elsewhere in the body, and there is no way for serotonin to cross the blood-brain barrier, so the brain has to make the serotonin it uses.

The precursor of serotonin is the amino acid tryptophan, which can enter the brain, but the tryptophan transporter also transports tyrosine and phenylalanine, the two chemicals from which dopamine is manufactured, which places a limit on how much tryptophan the brain can get hold of.

Tryptophan is also the rarest amino acid in our diet, to begin with. Dr. Lustig recommends eggs and fish as good sources, as well as nuts and poultry, and spinach and soy. Grass-fed red meat also has a fair amount of tryptophan, he says, but corn-feed meat is higher in phenylalanine and tyrosine (another reason to eat grass-fed, if you can afford it). He recommends grass-fed poultry too, if possible, since corn-fed beef and poultry contain high levels of branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine), which contribute to fatty liver and thus metabolic syndrome.

At any rate, a well-formulated ketogenic diet can provide enough tryptophan to help the brain make (closer to) enough serotonin, and by keeping insulin low and getting enough omega-3 fatty acids, we can help lower the inflammation that interferes with serotonin release. (One omega-3, DHA, is a precursor to the body’s own endocannabinoids, which also help with mood.)

(Benny) #6

So…sorry for still feeling lost…
I’m really struggling right now and came off my 150mg Zoloft per day as I thought it would kick me out of ketosis while on Keto thus leading to no loss in weight and even bigger depression.
Can anyone confirm for definite that Zoloft doesn’t affect ketosis or weight loss please? x

(Omar) #7

all posts I read in this forum say that keto amplify the effect of ssri and reduce depression and anxiety.

search the forum and take the time to get the conclusion.

(Benny) #8

Eh, I did just now and there are different threads with some different views and opinions…some people say it may be the cause of stalls or gains!
Hey, but thanks got your input!!

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #9

Hi! I am on an SSRI and I have not had any trouble with the keto way of eating. In fact, I feel better and have more energy. SSRIs have no effect on ketosis or weight loss, so no need to worry :grinning::purple_heart:

Welcome to the community, we’re all here getting better as we recover from the standard American diet (SAD) that has made us all sick. Good luck and stay in contact here, there’s an army of folks here to support you. :purple_heart::purple_heart:

(Jesse Macomber) #10

Thank you andesite! You answered my question :slight_smile: