New to Keto - Science based article on the longterm dangers of keto. Is there any validity?

(Jonathan Leung) #1

I’ve been on keto for the past couple of weeks and already seeing great results - down 13lbs so far. I just started IF on a daily basis… 3 days in… and it’s surprisingly doable. Needless to say I’m happy with the results so far.

A friend of mine recently sent this article to me:

the points seem well researched and backed by science. Has there been any more science addressing these claims that Keto can be bad for you long term?

This article (or something similar) has already gone around the forum. Search Category “Show me the science” and Keto ‘Myths’ ‘Debunked’. The writers are advocates (and business partners) for low fat, plant based approach. If I was more clever I would know how to link the entire discussion to this thread - but maybe someone can :blush:

(Rob) #3

I think this is the thread debunking a similar debunking…

Same guy, different cover, same vegan garbage…

(Michele) #4

First incorrect statement - brain runs exclusively on glucose. That was enough for me to stop reading.

(Trish) #5

One line states “your brain can only burn glucose” and then a few sentences later states “your brain is forced to use ketone bodies for fuel”. Um…if it can ONLY burn glucose then how is it then burning ketone? Which is it please? Make up your mind.
I’m not going to argue against the benefits of a vegetarian dietary lifestyle as I do think there is value in that WOE provided of course that yhe person is not a junk food vegetarian but diet and health are not one size fits all situations. If our brains were that starved for nutrition/energy I’m pretty sure the long termers would be dropping like flies by now. Aditionally, mother nature, evolution, and our bodies are not so stupid as to so easily convert from one to another fuel source if it was evolutionarily counterintuitive. Keep in mind that this is how our bodies functioned for eons and evolution is a damn slow beast moving at the speed of well…impulse power…certainly not warp speed. If you consider the entirety of mankind’s existence being a one year period then the advent of farming was some time around Christmas and the industrialization of wheat was around new years eve. There’s a video or info graphic you can likely find that gives a better explanation and more accurate dates on that than I can remember ATM.
Please forgive any typos etc but I’m sitting outside finally enjoying some sun and warmth and my phone is hard to see. :slight_smile:
Edit…LOL I found all the typos in my disclaimer sentence. Should have just left that out doh! :joy:

(Candy Lind) #6

Our search engine is awesome, so any other questions you have, please use it. There is such a wealth of information here, and the REAL science is coming in fast and furious that this WoE cures a lot of what ails us these days. If you can’t find it, pipe up and someone else will probably share a link to the answer. Another great site with plenty of science behind it is dietdoctor. You can get a free membership at first and watch a LOT of excellent videos on how this works, what it can help, the doctors who back it, etc.

Welcome to a better life! KCKO.

(Stacy Blanchard) #7

You should listen to this:

He also has a web site called insulin iq
He is a PhD that has done tons of research on medibolic diseases.